47 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
to be honest the thing i stumble on most is... my other foot lol jus' sayin'

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by snb1 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:13 pm
I've notice that the tap tempo displays 4 numbers after the decimal as oppose to 2 like the previous versions. Maybe that helps out with accuracy of detecting tempo from tapping.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 7.16.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 7.16.07 PM.png (13.6 KiB) Viewed 6666 times

Studio One Pro 6.5.1 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by snb1 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:38 pm
While editing multiple midi events at the same time on separate tracks, selecting a note for one instrument inside the editor will allow you to write for that instrument using the pencil tool or simply by double clicking in the notes. So in other words, you're able to switch back and forth between instruments by selecting the notes that are on that corresponding track which makes writing/editing for multiple instruments or parts at the same time much smoother. You weren't able to do this before in previous versions. Please note that selecting the corresponding note(s) on a particular instrument doesn't put your midi keyboard focus on it nor allow you to use the step record in this fashion. It just allow you too double click or pencil in notes for that instrument. If you want to use your keyboard or use step record for a different instrument other than the ones that's primary selected, you would have to select it in the drop down track selector inside the editor or by selecting the track in the arrangement.

Attachments
Jun-17-2018 21-37-15.gif

Studio One Pro 6.5.1 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by snb1 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:14 pm
I just stumbled on the fact that loading samples in the SampleOne XT and Impact XT no longer adds the samples to the pool like in version 3.

SkipNo Beet
by snb1 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:33 am
You no longer have the "Stretch Factor" feature inside of Impact anymore. So no more manual time stretching.

SkipNo Beet
by nickaa on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:05 pm
snb1 wroteI just stumbled on the fact that loading samples in the SampleOne XT and Impact XT no longer adds the samples to the pool like in version 3.

yes. noticed that right away. and i personally actually liked the fact those sample were in the pool more than it is now, because that made backups of the content extremely convenient. i would love them to change this back to the old style...

kind regards,
nick

my system specs
by codyhazelle on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:55 pm
Posted in another thread but it'd be great here:

When in step record/live record mode for a drum pattern, any knob you change will automatically be given an automation curve that will record. So let's say you wanted to open up the filter on a melodic synth pattern, you can just open it up while step record is on and playback is happening and all that data will be recorded directly to the pattern. This makes for very easy, streamlined live tweaking without all the hoops of adding automation, setting automation to write, etc. If you don't like what you recorded its very easy to remove, too.

With an Impact pattern going, try adjusting the pitch of your hats with this trick. Watch them come to life!

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by nickaa on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:57 am
holding "control/cmd (on mac)" while hovering over the preset name in the plugin header of a plugin window changesthe mouse arrow into a hand icon, which lets you drag the currently loaded preset either:
- to an empty area of the arrange window (which loads another instance of the plugin with this preset loaded),
- to a new track (which loads another instance of the plugin with this preset loaded),
- to an existing track (which loads another instance of the plugin with this preset loaded),
- to another existing plugin window in the tab area (which adds the plugin with the preset loaded),
- to a multi instrument window insert (individual inserts)
- to a multi instrument window insert (summary inserts)
- to a channel editor insert (individual inserts, aslo after/before splits)
- to a channel editor insert (summary insert)
- to an audio event as event fx when adding "alt/option (on mac)",
- to the browser in the plugin tab - then the preset will be added to the corresponding plugin menu,
- to the browser in the files tab - then the preset will be saved to whatever location you drag it on.

kind regards,
nick

my system specs
by nickaa on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:14 am
- you can drag&drop plugins by grabbing the respective tab between plugin windows of different tracks (drag from and to plugin windows tab area) - which is especially useful, if you f.e. want to copy a plugin into an event fx chain - if you already have an event fx plugin window visible . so you don't have to do that in the inspector or the event. also handy, because you can drag the plugin tab into another chain specifically at a certain position in the chain.

- you can drag plugins via dragging the tabs just like if you drag the plugin from the browser, the sends or the inserts. essentially what i am saying is - dragging&dropping a plugins tab behaves exactly like dragging&dropping the plugin as one is used to.

- you can drag plugins from the browser into the tab area of a plugin window - also between plugin tabs, to place the new plugin at the exact position in the plugin chain.

- you can drag a plugin, a preset or a plugin tab to an open editor - the plugin will be added to that corresponding insert of the mixerstrip.

kind regards,
nick

my system specs
by nickaa on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:18 am
in the mixer window, where the loaded instruments are listed, you can drag&drop and existing instrument (which may not yet be assigned/used on a track) onto either:
- an empty space in the arrange window (the instrument will be assigned to the new track being created)
- an existing, empty instrument track (the instrument will be assigned to that track)

kind regards,
nick

my system specs
by snb1 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 pm
I stumbled across the fact that restoring a song's version now shows the descriptions you had given that new version of the song. Before you weren't able to tell which version you were working on.

Attachments
Restore Versions.png

SkipNo Beet
by j0001s on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:08 am
If you drag a midi event on to an audio track (or into a blank space), it renders it as audio.

That sure caught me by surprise!
by b0wski on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:43 pm
alt and num pad + / - change the volume of a clip.

num pad plus and minus also do other useful things when combined with ctrl ans shift, or even on their own
by frank.crow on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 am
snb1 wroteI stumbled across the fact that restoring a song's version now shows the descriptions you had given that new version of the song. Before you weren't able to tell which version you were working on.

I noticed this too but also that the updated name also appears in the actual song menu. It’s kind of annoying because I didn’t want to rename the song itself.

I save versions as a precaution like “Gain Staged”, “Static Mix” etc. I do this as a restore point just in case I make some unsuccessful mixing decisions at some point and need to backtrack.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by snb1 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:17 am
I noticed this too but also that the updated name also appears in the actual song menu. It’s kind of annoying because I didn’t want to rename the song itself.

I save versions as a precaution like “Gain Staged”, “Static Mix” etc. I do this as a restore point just in case I make some unsuccessful mixing decisions at some point and need to backtrack.

You're right. The reason why it does that is because the new version is the last one you've saved. So now the new version has top priority and will show up in your song menu and the original will be placed in the history folder. If you don't want that to happen, you'll just have to make sure that the original version is the last version you save. So now the original version will have top priority and will show up in your song menu and your new version will be placed back into the history folder.

SkipNo Beet
by wallygontowski on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:52 pm
When I'm working on parts of a song and I hit play and then stop two times it brings me back to where in the song I wanted it to start playing again.

Sometimes though I hit stop three times and of course it goes back to the beginning of the song. I used to put in loop points so I could hit 1 on the number keys and this would bring me back to the start of the loop.

Today when I brought the cursor back to the beginning of the song to play the whole song, it instead jumped to the middle of the song. I noticed there was a green marker that I've never seen before and right clicked on it. It had a check mark on Enable Play Start Marker (Alt P). (Must have hit Alt P by mistake)

So now if I want to concentrate on a particular section of a song, I place the cursor at where I want to start and hit Alt P. Press Alt P again removes the marker.

Glad I stumbled onto this one.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat, Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Pro, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 2 X 4TB Internal Hard Drives, 3 X 4TB External BU Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors, Custom built desk with integral Rack mount.

My WEB site: http://www.gontowski.com/music
by darrenporter1 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:39 am
Here is a HUGE one for me that I just discovered today...

You can have negative measures on the timeline now! Big deal for us 12-bar fanatics.... no more modular arithmetic in my head! :lol:

You get to it on the Song Setup page, Bar Offset... if you want for example a two bar stick-count you can set it to -2 and then the actual song starts on "1" where it belongs! From my research it looks like this was added in 4.0.
Last edited by darrenporter1 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by garyshepherd on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:52 am
I was getting frustrated with MIDI recording and editing - while it was nice to have different takes for MIDI recordings I found it difficult to combine takes - bits of a new take I wanted to combine with the original take seemed not to copy over or merge properly and it seemed messy to do something like overdub on a MIDI track. I either got a new take or I wiped what I had and replaced it with the new recording.

And then I discovered (dumb of me I know not to know this), the default was not either Replace or Takes To Layers, but that you could toggle them both off - and then in the Instrument Loop Record if you click Record Mix, you can loop overdub on the MIDI track without wiping the existing data, or adding a take. If you have Record Takes on rather than Record Mix it seems to keep the existing data but when you are looping it wipes the previous loop recording pass. This could also be useful.

Coming from many years with other DAWs with standard MIDI recording, I had been confused with the options in Studio One. Still stumbling on stuff like this.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by wallygontowski on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 pm
darrenporter1 wroteHere is a HUGE one for me that I just discovered today...

You can have negative measures on the timeline now! Big deal for us 12-bar fanatics.... no more modular arithmetic in my head! :lol:

You get to it on the Song Setup page, Bar Offset... if you want for example a two bar stick-count you can set it to -2 and then the actual song starts on "0" where it belongs! From my research it looks like this was added in 4.0.

This is a huge one for me too, since I some times work with sheet music and it's a pain if the measure numbers don't match.

Doesn't the first measure of song though start with 1 and not 0? (Unless there are pick up notes)

Thanks for the tip!

Walt
Last edited by wallygontowski on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat, Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Pro, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 2 X 4TB Internal Hard Drives, 3 X 4TB External BU Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors, Custom built desk with integral Rack mount.

My WEB site: http://www.gontowski.com/music
by darrenporter1 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:51 pm
DOH! yeah in my excitement I mis-typed that... you are correct... the first measure should start on "1" not "0"! I fixed my post.

I also didn't even think about sheet music users. That is a big deal for you guys too!

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors

47 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3