4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Everyone may have a different way of doing this, but maybe there's a consensus on best practices ...

I use Ozone 6 in mastering in the Project page: For an album, should I put instances of Ozone on individual songs AND on the Master bus; or just use Ozone on the Master, to apply the same limiting and processing to all songs; or only insert it on the individual songs?

If I use it on both songs and the Master, should the Ozone instance on the Master maybe use only the Maximizer function?

Or should I put Ozone on the main bus of the Song page when exporting the song’s mixdown to a stereo wav for including on the album in the Project page? And then use Ozone only on the Master for the album?

… And is there even any need to create an “album” if you’re just going to put the songs on a website anyway? I might make a tiny number of CDs I suppose ….

I'd love your thoughts!

iMac, OS X Sierra, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Studio One v. 3.5.x, Focusrite Clarrett 8Pre, NI Komplete ...
by matthewgorman on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 pm
I don't use Ozone, but I am using the tools in ozone.

I prefer to treat each song as needed. I doubt you are going to find a one size fits all setting in ozone that will work for all the songs. Some will have different levels, eq characteristics, etc. I will use multiband comp, eq (GEQ and PEQ) and limiter on each song individually. On the master I may put a reverb, analog tape emu, or some other sweetener that works for the project. I will then put a very easy limiter after that to catch any stray peaks that came from adding the effects to the master.

Bottom line, do what works for the material

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by mall17 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:36 pm
matthewgorman wroteI don't use Ozone, but I am using the tools in ozone.

I prefer to treat each song as needed. I doubt you are going to find a one size fits all setting in ozone that will work for all the songs. Some will have different levels, eq characteristics, etc. I will use multiband comp, eq (GEQ and PEQ) and limiter on each song individually. On the master I may put a reverb, analog tape emu, or some other sweetener that works for the project. I will then put a very easy limiter after that to catch any stray peaks that came from adding the effects to the master.

Bottom line, do what works for the material

Thanks, matthewgorman! So between the individual songs' faders and that final light limiting, the songs' volumes are about the same?

iMac, OS X Sierra, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Studio One v. 3.5.x, Focusrite Clarrett 8Pre, NI Komplete ...
by matthewgorman on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 pm
Thats the goal. I know there are other that have a different opinion, but this works for me. I keep the RMS of each song within 1-2 db of each other when its all said and done.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

4 posts
Page 1 of 1