Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hello, regards from Spain (please, excuse my poor English).

I ask you for advice.
I want to buy an orchestal library to use with Notion 6.
I prefer to write in Notion than to use a midi keyboard.
So the library have to be easy to use with Notion.

I´m looking for "classical" sound with enought articulations and a good sound quality.
My ideal is closer to a chamber orchestral rather than a synphonic one and also I´m interested in the solo instruments (especially the strings).

- I supposse my best option is VSL SE bundle 1 or bundle 2 (now they have an interesting offert).
- I like too the Versilian Chamber Or. 2 Pro, but I suppose that is more difficult to work with it in Notion.
- I´m thinking in Xsample Player Edition too. I have Xsample Strings P.E. and I like a lot, although the prules are not very precise (or I can´t get them to be).
Any other option for 300-400€?

What do you suggest me for a good experience with Notion and good musical results?

Thank you very much.
Best regards.
M. Rosa
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 pm
Señor Rosa,

There are a number of options. In that price range, I'd recommend a few:

Garritan Personal Orchestral is a bargain, and has the advantage of having a complete Notion Ruleset already built-in to the program. That was the program I started with when I began my experiments in virtual orchestration. Many of the sounds are first rate, and the library is very complete.

I believe that VSL SE is a step up in terms of sound quality. It also works using rulesets that are already built into Notion. This is a real plus, and the sounds are very good. They are recorded "dry" however (with no reverb at all), and are not recorded in-situ (in other words, they are not pre-located on a sound stage). They have to be placed in space using a virtual sound stage or by skillful panning and reverb. If you go this route, be prepared to do a lot of sound engineering to get the sound right. I spent about a year with VSL before I finally got experienced enough as a sound engineer to get really good sound from it. Some consider this a benefit, others prefer to have a library that is recorded in a real venue. I believe that's why VSL introduced their Synchron series libraries, to compete with Spitfire and many others that offer very beautiful in-situ recordings of instruments and ensembles.

One benefit of VSL SE is the expandable nature of it. The sounds that you get are the core of the entire library, and you can expand any of the instruments with additional articulations, but the basic sound that comes with SE is the best that VSL have to offer. If you are short of an instrument (say harpsichord or euphonium), individual instruments can be purchased separately. The SE core can also be expanded with SE3 and SE4 as you find your needs or your budget growing. The SE libraries also come free with some first rate software including the Vienna Instruments Player and Vienna Ensemble (a multi-instrument shell).

One downside for you might be that in order to get Chamber Strings you have to purchase SE Volume 2.

Some people are great fans of East-West Quantam Leap libraries. These also have built-in rulesets in Notion. I have never used the libraries, so I can't give an in-depth opinion about them, but it seems to me they are geared towards epic or cinematic work. They have an interesting arrangement where users rent the instruments on a monthly subscription basis, or they can (I think) be purchased as well.

I own Versilian Chamber Orchestra. You are right in that it is more work to use with Notion, but I've achieved excellent results and have released one single using the wind instruments. Full use of this library would require that you write rulesets for the instruments. This is not hard using the Ruleset Editor, but some people aren't inclined to jump in and do that. The library, as the name implies, is chamber-music oriented, and there are some limitations as to the range of instruments that you get, and some oddities (in my view). For instance, just in the woodwinds family, there are bassoons, but no contra-bassoon. There are no saxophones. You may never want them, but if you do, you are out of luck, and are forced to find another source. On the other hand, there are five recorders, a tin whistle, a blown bottle(!), a flutophone, an ocarina, and four wooden flutes.

Another choice if you don't mind doing some ruleset programming is Sonuscore's The Orchestra. It seems to be a bargain but also seems to be oriented toward epic cinematic work.

Miroslav Philharmonik is a good library and used to have built in rulesets for Notion, but when IK Multimedia introduced their new MPK2 it seems like something was broken and it no longer works with the rulesets. That's unfortunate, as it was a good solid library and the sounds were a step up from GPO, in my opinion.

The XSample Player Edition sounds very nice. If you have experience with it, that may be worth a lot to recommend it. I see that the manufacturer includes rulesets to use with Notion. That's a real plus! It does seem to be also limited in terms of the number of instruments available.

I'm sure there are many other choices, but in your price range, those are the ones that come to my mind.

Note that all of the above are my opinions and others will have their own. I hope they add them here for your edification!

Best wishes on your research and your choice,

Michael
Last edited by michaelmyers1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
Thank you very much for your detailed answer, Mr. Myers.

I always appreciatte your opinions in this forum.
You are a great value for this community.
Thanks again
:)

Your post it helps me a lot to clarify some things.
I think my best option is VSL SE because of quality and Notion implementation.
But yes, there is the "dry" problem.
I assume for the comments I read that the default reverb in the Vienna Player is not enough for good results, isn´t it?

Any basic solution suggestion about the reverb problem?
It´s possible to work with other more modest reverbs than VSL Mir series and have decent results?
I´m thinking in two options:
- Valhalla Room
- Samplicity reverbs: here´s an example of L96 reverb with VSL dry and wet (scroll down to the demo made by Thomas J. Bergersen). http://www.samplicity.com/demos/
Any suggestion will be welcome.

And on the other hand I´m very imppressed by the quality of IRCAM solo instruments. I´m very interested in avant-garde textures and articulations and this library is amazing how it´s sounds in this way.
This library really tempts me but, yes, I am one of the people that aren't inclined to jump in the Ruleset Editor.
I don´t find any detailed info about this library and I don´t know if is manageable through an articulations system similar to the Spitfire Audio UACC.
It´s too risky to buy it for me.
(By the way, are Spitfire products working well with the Notion´s dynamics symbols?)

I think VSL SE is my best option for now.
But I have to see if I can I solve the reverb problem.

Thank you very much again.
Best.
Manolo
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:14 pm
Manolo, thanks, for your high regard! I try to be helpful whenever I can, because I remember how confused I was when I first started down this road.

I've never used the Vienna Player reverb extensively, so I'm afraid I can't let you know about that. You can add a MIRx Room Pack for a fairly reasonable amount which is very effective at solving the placement issue and is a very effective convolution reverb. I can recommend that highly. That's one of the "advantages" of VSL products - there's always some new thing to invest in. :D

I highly recommend Valhalla Room. At only about $50 it's a real bargain, and the sound is very impressive.
Last edited by michaelmyers1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

Michael, this is very helpful, because I didn´t know that MirX rooms can be use with the default Vienna Instruments that the VSL SE includes.
I´ve have listened to some demos of the different rooms and like it very much the concept: easy to use, good sound and good price.

With MirX or/and Valhalla Room I think the "dry" issue can be solved in VSL.
Thank you very much, Michael.

Best regards.
Manolo
by frank.crow on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:08 am
Really great information thank you so much

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by JohnBW on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:09 pm
michaelmyers1 wrote
Garritan Personal Orchestral is a bargain, and has the advantage of having a complete Notion Ruleset already built-in to the program. That was the program I started with when I began my experiments in virtual orchestration. Many of the sounds are first rate, and the library is very complete.

Hi Michael, you seem very knowledgeable in this subject. I was interested in getting GPO 5 for use with Notion 6 the last time Garritan was on sale. But I was informed by others that the rule sets in Notion were only fully compatible with GPO 4.

I found this thread, but it is a couple of years old. https://forums.makemusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3125

A few recent related questions in the Notion forums seem to have gone unanswered. Does anybody know the current status of Notion rule sets for GPO 5?

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 pm
juanmanuelrosaescribano wroteMichael, this is very helpful, because I didn´t know that MirX rooms can be use with the default Vienna Instruments that the VSL SE includes.
I´ve have listened to some demos of the different rooms and like it very much the concept: easy to use, good sound and good price.

With MirX or/and Valhalla Room I think the "dry" issue can be solved in VSL.
Thank you very much, Michael.

Best regards.
Manolo

Manolo, yes, MIRx reverb can be applied to any VSL instrument in either VI or VIPro. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you can't adjust the reverb. You can only use the presets. They are very good for most orchestral work, and you can use pan to keep instruments from stepping on each other. Another advantage is that there is no limit to the number of instruments, and also MIRx is pretty easy on the CPU.

If you want to go a step further, I'd recommend looking at VSL MIR Pro24. That's the entry level stage emulator, limited to 24 instruments, where you can freely move any instrument to any location on your sound stage. That, of course, is a different level of investment. One of the positives and negatives of the VSL world... :)

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by michaelmyers1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 pm
JohnBW wrote
michaelmyers1 wrote

Hi Michael, you seem very knowledgeable in this subject. I was interested in getting GPO 5 for use with Notion 6 the last time Garritan was on sale. But I was informed by others that the rule sets in Notion were only fully compatible with GPO 4.

I found this thread, but it is a couple of years old. https://forums.makemusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3125

A few recent related questions in the Notion forums seem to have gone unanswered. Does anybody know the current status of Notion rule sets for GPO 5?

John, I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for that. I haven't used GPO for a number of years. I'd suggest a ticket to Notion support, but others may have other experience. I'll ask around though.

This might be of interest also:

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=30564&p=174943&hilit=GPO5#p174943

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by scunacc on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 pm
michaelmyers1 wrote
JohnBW wrote
michaelmyers1 wrote

John, I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for that. I haven't used GPO for a number of years. I'd suggest a ticket to Notion support, but others may have other experience. I'll ask around though.

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=30564&p=174943&hilit=GPO5#p174943

Correct. Not fully compatible. Couple of issues

1.) the instruments have to be loaded manually in the player - the mappings from 4->5 don't seem to trigger the loading.

2.) Some of the newer instruments or samples in 5 aren't known to the rules in 4.

However, all the rules in 4 (I believe - haven't exhaustively tested) work with what's in 5. I.e. 5 is an upgrade to 4 that's backward compatible as far as Notion is concerned.

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek Jones
MacBook Pro 17" 16GB,15" 12GB,Sierra, MacBook 13",12GB HighSierra. SSD,Windows 7 64 8GB RAM, Win 10 64 Pro 64GB RAM, [email protected]
Notion 6.5.470, Studio One 3.5 & 4.X
Pro Tools 2019.5,Logic Pro X 10.4,Cubase 10,Ableton Live 9.7.6,Reaper 5,Tracktion 7
Sibelius Ultimate 2019.5,Finale 25,Overture 5,MuseScore 3
Vienna Ensemble & Instruments 7,SE Strings,EWQLSO & Play 6,Miroslav Philharmonik 1&2,Kontakt 5.8.0,Waves 10
16.0.2 FW,iConnectMID4+ on macOS (+ others aggregated),192 Mobile+DP88 on Windows
by scunacc on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:51 pm
VSL SE is on sale right now at 30% off.

The dry issue isn't really a problem if you already do have a usable reverb that has good distinction between early and late reflections and allows a pre-delay.

I like the Waves IR series which has a lot of very nice in-situ reverbs available (comes to about 4GB loaded! :) ) and there are other reverb IRs at the Open Air public domain reverb site that the IR series can work with.

IR-L is on sale at $39 at the moment, and IR-1 (the bigger brother with more options) at $69.

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek Jones
MacBook Pro 17" 16GB,15" 12GB,Sierra, MacBook 13",12GB HighSierra. SSD,Windows 7 64 8GB RAM, Win 10 64 Pro 64GB RAM, [email protected]
Pro Tools 2019.5,Logic Pro X 10.4,Cubase 10,Ableton Live 9.7.6,Reaper 5,Tracktion 7
Vienna Ensemble & Instruments 7,SE Strings,EWQLSO & Play 6,Miroslav Philharmonik 1&2,Kontakt 5.8.0,Waves 10
16.0.2 FW,iConnectMID4+ on macOS (+ others aggregated),192 Mobile+DP88 on Windows
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:54 pm
scunacc wroteVSL SE is on sale right now at 30% off.

The dry issue isn't really a problem if you already do have a usable reverb that has good distinction between early and late reflections and allows a pre-delay.

I like the Waves IR series which has a lot of very nice in-situ reverbs available (comes to about 4GB loaded! :) ) and there are other reverb IRs at the Open Air public domain reverb site that the IR series can work with.

IR-L is on sale at $39 at the moment, and IR-1 (the bigger brother with more options) at $69.

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek, I tried a couple Waves freebies a while back and decided not to purchase as the shell required an i-lok or such like. Is that still the case?

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by JohnBW on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 pm
michaelmyers1 wrote
JohnBW wrote
michaelmyers1 wrote

Michael, thanks for the feedback! It seems that GPO doesn't have a large enough user base among Notion users to make this a big issue. I will keep hunting though!

by JohnBW on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:09 pm
michaelmyers1 wrote I tried a couple Waves freebies a while back and decided not to purchase as the shell required an i-lok or such like. Is that still the case?

I picked up a few Waves plug-ins on sale this year, and they use the Waves Central for all installation/authorization, so nothing at all to do with iLok.

by JohnBW on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:16 pm
scunacc wrote

1.) the instruments have to be loaded manually in the player - the mappings from 4->5 don't seem to trigger the loading.

Hey Derek, thanks for the info That is exactly what I was hoping to avoid, I have other VSTs that I can manually load, so I was looking for a workflow that didn't require that.

Is it safe to assume that the VSL SE meets those requirements of easy integration with Notion 6?

by michaelmyers1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:04 pm
JohnBW wrote
scunacc wrote

Hey Derek, thanks for the info That is exactly what I was hoping to avoid, I have other VSTs that I can manually load, so I was looking for a workflow that didn't require that.

Is it safe to assume that the VSL SE meets those requirements of easy integration with Notion 6?

VSL SE Notion Presets load correctly. I've never run across an issue with them.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by scunacc on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 pm
michaelmyers1 wrote
JohnBW wrote
scunacc wrote

VSL SE Notion Presets load correctly. I've never run across an issue with them.

No issue with VSL SE. Used them with the latest Notion just a couple of days ago.

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek Jones
Thanks, Michael; I think I´ll start with one Mirx room (Teldex, Sage G. or Grosser Saal, I don´t know yet).

Thanks, scunacc, for the Waves IR recommendation, I´ll take a look.

Best regards.
Manolo
by JohnBW on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:27 am
Thanks Michael and Derek for the informative answers, and to Manolo for asking the original question. This has been very helpful and cleared up my questions. You guys rock! :thumbup:

by scunacc on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 am
michaelmyers1 wrote
scunacc wroteVSL SE is on sale right now at 30% off.

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek, I tried a couple Waves freebies a while back and decided not to purchase as the shell required an i-lok or such like. Is that still the case?

Waves only uses Waves Central these days. No iLok or other dongle required. Basically, one gets a Waves account, purchases the plugins, installs Waves Central, registers the plugins with Waves Central, installs the plugins, then move the license from the Waves license cloud to the machine you installed it on (again, done inside Waves Central). It's a fairly straightforward process (most of the time :) ). And, you can move the plugin license back to the cloud and to another machine if you wish - as many times as you want to and fro.

I use Waves plugins across my machines and DAWs and notation programs as it gives me a consistent single mixing capability that's not tied to an architecture or DAWs' own tools, etc. I also use some of the Melda plugins which I like in the same fashion - i.e. cross-platform with the same presets, etc. Both are mostly (depending on the plugin) nicely lightweight, so I can add 30+ Waves+Melda FX plugins to a Notion session running on a 2010 Core 2 Duo Macbook with a full orchestral score (using Notion's own instruments and some MP1) and it works without glitching.

Kind regards

Derek.

Derek Jones

26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2