13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello Studio One Gang!

RE: Studio One Professional 4

When recording with my keyboard (Yamaha Stage Piano CP33) in midi mode, the notes sound fine going in, but when I play them back, they are all shortened to staccato notes -- even though they appear sustained in the edit screen. And this is not a pedal issue, for I'm talking about sustained notes that are held down by my fingers.

If I put in the notes manually with my mouse, they sustain fine, but when inserting them with my keyboard, they are cut short. I noticed that another Studio One 4 user is reporting the same issue, and his keyboard is different than mine. Does anyone have any information or solutions regarding this issue?

Thanks!

David
[email protected]
by Tacman7 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm
If you click on a note then drag it, is there another note underneath it?

Some kind of loop or something? You have regular inputs and emulated inputs?

I've also had problems with a second recorded note that's really short. Seems like there was a way to remove the short notes.

Is that through the usb port? Install Yamaha generic midi driver?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by robertgray3 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:58 pm
Off the top of my head sounds like it could be double notes that are short. One of my keyboards did that when hooked up over USB. Select the area and use the action “Delete Notes”. It has a slider to select short notes, it’s under Musical Functions when you right click in the Music Editor I think.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Jemusic on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:09 pm
Or more importantly you may be recording two notes at once for some reason due to some sort of midi feedback loop etc. I would be hunting that down. You should only be recording single notes at a time and not need to remove double notes.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by bradch00 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 pm
I have experienced this with my Nektar LX88 once in a while, if the sustain pedal is on/down, notes sustain until the pedal is released, however if sustain is off/up, notes play staccato no matter how long the note is held.

Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM 1TB Flash
5 x 2TB SSD Thunderbolt
2 x 1TB SSD USB
2 X 16TB spinning disk for backup
DAW: Studio One, Pro Tools Studio
Interface: Presonus Quantum, Black Lion (Red) Sparrow A/D
Nectar LX88, Yamaha DTX III Extreme
Control Surface: Faderport & Faderport 8
by davidburke1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:09 am
Hey Bradch00,
How did you fix it?
by bradch00 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:41 pm
I still haven’t figured out why it happens. The sessions where it happens are still doing it, however when I removed the LX88 as a controller and restarted S1, which then restores the LX88 as an instrument, new sessions were normal.

Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM 1TB Flash
5 x 2TB SSD Thunderbolt
2 x 1TB SSD USB
2 X 16TB spinning disk for backup
DAW: Studio One, Pro Tools Studio
Interface: Presonus Quantum, Black Lion (Red) Sparrow A/D
Nectar LX88, Yamaha DTX III Extreme
Control Surface: Faderport & Faderport 8
by Jemusic on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 pm
One obvious place to start is look at your midi signal flow. For instance if your controller is sending data into Studio One fine that is all good. It means it is being received. But if you have say input monitoring enabled and you have got that very same track set to send data back out to your controller again (which also may be a synth in this case) then that synth is going to get two midi notes being presented to it every time you play a note. Some synths might pass the incoming data back out to the midi out hence the double notes etc.

So what are you using as a controller. What is the keyboard? You can check your keyboard operation because some of them let you decide what the MIDI OUT will actually send. Then there is the issue of LOCAL ON/OFF settings within the keyboard. And Studio One's monitor status. All or a combination of these things can result in double notes reaching Studio One.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by davidburke1 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:33 am
Hi Bradch00,

Thanks for your thorough response! I managed to resolve the problem. I deleted my external devices and then re-added them. My only midi controller is a Yamaha Stage Piano CP33, which was listed a number of times but not always completely/correctly. I can only guess that when it was listed (added) completely/correctly more than once, it was sending more than one signal, thus recording more than one note. Nevertheless, the issue is fixed now with my Yamaha being the ONLY midi controller listed. Thanks again.
by aronkyne on Wed May 01, 2019 4:19 am
I had this exact problem, now fixed

I had 'all inputs' selected for my midi tracks then had the same input regestired twice under different names in the external devices bit
by Beloved1 on Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:48 pm
davidburke1 wrote
I'm putting this here in case someone googles this issue and haven't found the answer yet. The answer looks to have been answered but in my experience, the issue somehow started after I couldn't get one of my songs to load so I started a new session after killing the session that was giving me problems. upon doing so, I noticed that when I started to record new instrument midi data, when I was was recording, Studio one was working fine, but upon playback, The notes would be staccato-only type notes. However, the Midi notes would be sustained, There was no double notes, and no overlapping notes So it caused me to search online for a solution and I stumbled upon this thread. After reading
I'm putting this here in case someone googles this issue and haven't found the answer yet.

The answer looks to have been answered but in my experience, the issue somehow started after I couldn't get one of my songs to load so I started a new session after killing the session that was giving me problems. upon doing so, I noticed that when I started to record new instrument midi data, when I was was recording, Studio one was working fine, but upon playback, The notes would be staccato-only type notes. However, the Midi notes would be sustained, There was no double notes, and no overlapping notes So it caused me to search online for a solution and I stumbled upon this thread.

After reading What DavidBurke1 did, I decided to take a look at my midi devices (external devices) and noticed that Studio One somehow duplicated my Panorama T4 Keyboard device, where it showed the 2 Panorama T4 Keyboard devices instead of 1. Since it's normal to see 2 Panorama devices, (one as the control surface device and one as the keyboard device) I didn't pay much attention when I was troubleshooting before stumbling across this thread. But this time I looked very close and saw that instead of 2 devices coming from the Panorama, it was actually 3 devices. So I just deleted one of the Panorama T4 keyboard devices (specifically the duplicated one that was just the basic Keyboard type) and then it started working again. Hope that makes sense. Just check to see if somehow there are 2 devices of the same midi controller if you run into the issue where notes are playing staccato when they should be sustained notes .
by gregghart on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:15 pm
aronkyne wroteI had this exact problem, now fixed

I had 'all inputs' selected for my midi tracks then had the same input regestired twice under different names in the external devices bit

I was going to suggest the same. Same problem happened to me on my Native Instrument Komplete Kontrol. I have two of them. An S88 and an S61. When I have "All Inputs" I get short staccato notes. I need to select the actual instrument in the MIDI input section of the track. Then it works fine.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by Jemusic on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:23 pm
ALL Inputs can sometimes be more trouble. Especially if notes are creeping in via other sources. Its a good habit to get into to set your input source as the device you are actually using.

Also if you want to play two controllers and record onto two separate Instrument tracks, one has to do this anyway.

It is still a good idea to check what the second source of the midi data might be though.

13 posts
Page 1 of 1