Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
When using the Notion samples, quarter tones will playback in audio. Also, the whammy bar can be used for the Notion Instruments to create a glissando. However, these features do not work with the Vienna Symphonic Library-Special Edition sound library. Is there a way to use these features with the VSL-SE? Thanks.
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 pm
I've used the glissando notation to achieve a harp and piano gliss. If you're using the built-in Notion rulesets for SE it should work.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by richardborio on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:18 am
Thank you for the reply. The glissando notation does work for SE piano and harp. However, I was able to achieve a seemless linear glissando on strings, brass and wood winds using the whammy bar and the Notion samples. It doesn't work on the SE strings, brass and wood winds. Using the glissando notation on strings, trombone, etc. doesn't play back as a glissando. It's more of a slide and the end of the note duration. As far as I know, the whammy bar was the only way to achieve this particular sound. All of the fretted guitar techniques can be used on most of the Notion samples, but not the SE samples.
Maybe there is a way to create custom rules for these functions and quartertones, but I'm a bit of a novice in this area.
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm
Interesting, I've never thought to try the whammy bar.

Have you tried slide and portamento? I've found that I get results with those that are not quite as expected, but you might get just what you're looking for.

Have you submitted a help ticket? The Notion support people are very helpful.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by richardborio on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:16 am
The slide and portamento are functional with SE, but it's not the same as the whammy bar. I don't know why the fretted quitar techniques and quarter tones are not available for SE. The common factor is that they both relate to microtones. Maybe it's a programming problem. I'll take your advice and open a help ticket. Thanks.
by aouameurfarid on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:45 pm
michaelmyers1 wroteI've used the glissando notation to achieve a harp and piano gliss. If you're using the built-in Notion rulesets for SE it should work.

Can you explain how to proceed please ?? (use the built in ruleset for other harp or piano vsti ??)
Thanks in advance :)

Farid
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:00 pm
I've just done some testing. The glissando notation symbol works with the built-in rulesets for every VSL instrument I tried it with (about 8).

Enter two notes, select the Gissando command from the pallet, pick the first note, pick the next, and it will gliss across the intervening notes. It will gliss only notes in the scale if there's a key signature. I've used harp tuning as well to modify that (example, gliss only white notes on the piano).

I also tried it with Ivory italian Grand, Spitfire LABS, and a couple other VST's. Looks like it works quite well, without any ruleset.

The conclusion is that the gliss command actually plays the notes with MIDI signals rather than depends on a sample. In other words, it's a performance command. Good to know!

Yay Notion!

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by richardborio on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:57 am
The tech support for Notion confirmed that the quarter tones and whammy bar won't work for VSL-SE as these functions are integrated into the Notion samples and if VSL-SE doesn't have these samples it won't work. I was thinking as a work around for the quarter tones, that I could re-tune one set of the VI up a quarter tone and leave the other VI with normal tuning. That way I could have one staff for my "normal" notes and one staff for my quarter tone notes. I'm not sure if this will work, but I guess it's worth a try.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1