A place to share your Notion files
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is my Notion recording of Bach's Air from the Overture No. 3 in D Major, as arranged by Leopold Stokowski in 1949. Spitfire Chamber Strings are used here and I think they show to advantage. You get a great sense of the vibrato capabilities and the distinct voices of each instrument in each section (the Spitfire Chamber Strings are 43333). There is also a solo VSL Bass.

This was a challenging piece to record; the subtlety of the voices as the melody is passed from section to section is quite complex, although in the end result it sounds simple (as most great music does). Also, the dynamics are very intricate as selected voices crescendo and decrescendo, and this was a challenge to record as CC tracks on Notion sequencer staves. Altogether, a very finely woven tapestry...

This is the second take after initial transcription, and feedback is certainly appreciated!

Michael

phpBB [audio]

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Rudi_UK on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 am
This is one of your best pieces of all the ones I have listened to. I love the way all the lines and counterlines remain distinct, and yet complement each other. There is a sense of ebb and flow to them, the way musicians would phrase each note and phrase. It must have taken you ages to polish and refine it.

The Spitfire strings are very good - I have been impressed by their approach to sampling and design. If I start to derive an income from my music, they will be my first port of call for realistic samples.

My only very minor feedback would be to slightly lower the level of a few of a couple of the high-up pizzicati, and maybe add a slight delay to the start of some of the bass notes towards the end.

Thank you for sharing and honouring Bach so well,

Rudi
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:27 pm
Rudi_UK wroteThis is one of your best pieces of all the ones I have listened to. I love the way all the lines and counterlines remain distinct, and yet complement each other. There is a sense of ebb and flow to them, the way musicians would phrase each note and phrase. It must have taken you ages to polish and refine it.

The Spitfire strings are very good - I have been impressed by their approach to sampling and design. If I start to derive an income from my music, they will be my first port of call for realistic samples.

My only very minor feedback would be to slightly lower the level of a few of a couple of the high-up pizzicati, and maybe add a slight delay to the start of some of the bass notes towards the end.

Thank you for sharing and honouring Bach so well,

Rudi

Thank you for listening, Rudi, and for the feedback. It's always appreciated.

This recording was some time in the making. I'd guess between the transcription, instrumentation and fine tuning, and about 6 or 7 recording takes, I would have over 100 hours in it.

I've got this one queue'd for eventual single release, and I'll take your comments into consideration before I finalize the last take.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Rudi_UK on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:17 pm
You are very welcome. The amount of time and effort you have put into it is.... inspirational, and a more than humbling. Bach remains one of the titans of classical music, his achievements are staggering, especially in view of his circumstances - he transcends all.
Once again thank you for sharing, and very best wishes in your efforts!

Rudi

4 posts
Page 1 of 1