526 postsPage 23 of 27
1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Ok looks like your scenario is many tracks to one instrument to many audio outs.

That’s doable.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by jalcide on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:37 pm
frederichodshon1 wrote
jalcide wroteDownloaded the v4 demo and the new additions are nice.

I'll be sitting this one out, however. The new features overlap with those in my 3rd party plugin collection.

Any predictions on how long the 3.5.x version will be supported with maintenance updates?

I will say that stability does seem quite solid in 3.5.6.x., but with Windows 10's continual updating, who knows how long...

To be extra safe, since It's a dedicated DAW, I may just disable Windows updates for a while.

how are you disabling Windows updates?

As mentioned before, it's not recomended unless you really don't install anything new, make sure you're 100% malware-free, unplug from the internet and "throw away the key," so to speak.

But I do it, for periods of time, from time to time, when I want no interruptions. It can be done via Component Services -> Services (Local) -> Windows Update. You then Stop the service and set it to Disabled. It will then stay disabled, even across reboots, until you re-enable. To re-enabled set it back to its previous default (usually "Manual" -- take note of your setting before disabling) and Start the service again.
by jih64 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:15 pm
jalcide wrote
frederichodshon1 wrote
jalcide wroteDownloaded the v4 demo and the new additions are nice.

I'll be sitting this one out, however. The new features overlap with those in my 3rd party plugin collection.

Any predictions on how long the 3.5.x version will be supported with maintenance updates?

I will say that stability does seem quite solid in 3.5.6.x., but with Windows 10's continual updating, who knows how long...

To be extra safe, since It's a dedicated DAW, I may just disable Windows updates for a while.

how are you disabling Windows updates?

As mentioned before, it's not recomended unless you really don't install anything new, make sure you're 100% malware-free, unplug from the internet and "throw away the key," so to speak.

But I do it, for periods of time, from time to time, when I want no interruptions. It can be done via Component Services -> Services (Local) -> Windows Update. You then Stop the service and set it to Disabled. It will then stay disabled, even across reboots, until you re-enable. To re-enabled set it back to its previous default (usually "Manual" -- take note of your setting before disabling) and Start the service again.

It use to be like that, in my experience it is not anymore, it will change back from 'Disabled' to 'Manually Triggered' or whatever it is without any input from you, I learned that the hard way, I use to always have all my machines updates disabled this way, until one day I noticed net and disk activity, and upon checking sure enough Windows update was doing it's thing, a couple of days latter same on another machine and so on. Now when I boot up the first thing I do is go in and check if it's still disabled and disable it again if it is not, it can even change throughout the day without your knowledge. I keep my main DAW PC's offline except to quickly update plugs etc, but once done it's offline again.

For every Arthur C Clarke quoter, there is a know-all who likes to quote Arthur C Clarke
- unknown
by PreAl on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:28 pm
jih64 wrote I keep my main DAW PC's offline except to quickly update plugs etc, but once done it's offline again.

That's not really going offline, that just disabling internet whilst you are using your DAW which is fair enough. I assume you are periodically running Windows update etc.

An offline DAW is basically no internet or software updates ever.

If you want to control Windows update you need to look at group policy on Pro.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jih64 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:16 pm
Well it's offline as far as I'm concerned, the network cable is removed and I only plug it back in when I am updating any music related stuff after ensuring that the Windows Update service is stopped and disabled, couldn't really care if it isn't technically offline, it's certainly offline to me (apart from those short update sessions).

Periodically, well depends on your definition, I stayed on 1511 for a long time, then to 1607, on 1709 now and that's where I'll stay until I decide otherwise. Never kept Windows up to date religiously and never had any issues.

Yeah I know about group policy etc and other ways to stop updates, but they are all temporary to differing degrees, I'm happy doing things this way. (until Microsoft work out how to plug my network cable back in remotely ;) )

For every Arthur C Clarke quoter, there is a know-all who likes to quote Arthur C Clarke
- unknown
by Anderton on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:01 pm
jih64 wroteIt use to be like that, in my experience it is not anymore, it will change back from 'Disabled' to 'Manually Triggered' or whatever it is without any input from you, I learned that the hard way, I use to always have all my machines updates disabled this way, until one day I noticed net and disk activity, and upon checking sure enough Windows update was doing it's thing, a couple of days latter same on another machine and so on. Now when I boot up the first thing I do is go in and check if it's still disabled and disable it again if it is not, it can even change throughout the day without your knowledge. I keep my main DAW PC's offline except to quickly update plugs etc, but once done it's offline again.

I too have found that Windows "resets" functions to "do me a favor," and then I have to go back and do things like disable the HD Audio Driver, re-authorize Addictive Drums, etc. But there are features in the updates that I like. The new Timeline feature is wonderful. Is it worth doing the update just for that? Well...for me it is, but it might not be for others.

Digital storefront: craiganderton.com
Free educational site: craiganderton.org
Music: youtube.com/thecraiganderton
Studio One eBooks: shop.presonus.com
by danam2 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:20 am
kaosikosmos wroteNo, i dont think i can because Impact are only using 1 midi channel.

Studio One is my main DAW since nearly four years and I had a couple of conversions with a staff member of the S1 team in Hamburg about certain (missing) features along the way. Together with my general observations I came to the conclusion that they are developing features mostly along the guidelines of certain usecases while trying to be creative about it. And they are successful with this strategy AFAICT. It has one major side effect though: There are many users who don't exactly want to use a feature according to the implemented usecases, but have needs where the feature would be useful, too. But many times it just doesn't fit. Like in any software there are also bugs and oversights of course. Just like the actual interleaved audio AAF export that PT cannot import while you also cannot cut a stereo file to mono files easily :roll:

There are other DAWs out there (I don't name names here) that are obviously trying to do it another way: Implementing features in the most flexible way. The downside here is that the user has generally to do some more thinking and configuring. That way is more nerdy by nature and the software is reflecting that. To each its own. In the end I switched to S1 mostly because of ARA and had and have my letdowns, too.

To cut a long story short: Your usecase (Using an instrument with multiple MIDI channels) doesn't seem to be taken into account yet seriously:
a) You cannot record to one instrument track on multiple MIDI channels. Therefor you have to create an instrument track for each MIDI Channel, like it or not. BUT:
b) You cannot include multiple instrument tracks into an instrument preset like you can with FX and channels.

But now with the song data import you are close enough at least for getting a setup into a new song quickly, as has been mentioned by others. But you also mentioned the arranger track. The song data import can import the arranger/tempo/marker tracks. But you cannot see them in the browser, you need to use the menu: Songs - import song data. BUT: You can only see the arranger track in the import window if there is anything in it. You always have tempo and start/stop markers, so the tempo and marker tracks can always be imported...

by lisarowe on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:27 am
robertgray3 wrote
chasnaylor wroteWell DRAT. You are correct. My apologies to PreSonus devs.

Thanks for the help, Mr Gray

Hey, no big deal. I thought it didn't work at first either! There isn't a change log or a set of more detailed release notes covering the little things like this, and the manual doesn't really mention it aside from saying that the new Expand button is for expanding the inserts rack :reading:

Thank you!
That is a nifty trick and I never would have thought to try it in a million years.

Never saw it in the 'tips' thread.
: )

Dell Laptop, Intel Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, Studio One Pro 5.1
Rode AI-1
Audiobox 44VSL
AKAI 25 and Keystep 32 midi controllers
8-)
by kaygeeeff on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 pm
seanclarke wrote
kaygeeeff wroteHi Seanclarke!
Thanks for the tip! I’ll try that and let you know how I go!
What gave you the idea to do that?

I just tried everything!

Hi Sean!
I tried that and everything else I could think of!
Melodyne Support confirmed the Studio 4 will work wit Studio One 4 and to make sure the Location link was to the VST3 Folder.
No good so, i've just sent back a list, with screenshots of all of my different attempts and settings for them to review to see what I have presumably not got correct!
We will see what happens next! :readit:

Presonus Studio One 6 Pro (always the latest update!) Presonus Sphere Member, Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2.Ai. Too many Waves Plugins. Melodyne 5 Pro, EZ Drummer 2, EZ Keys, Active Drummer, Active Keys. Notion 6. Ozone 10. Ozone Suite including RX 10 etc.
Owner: Footloose Recording Studios. NSW. Australia
by aaronbrito on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:51 am
danam2 wrote
kaosikosmos wroteNo, i dont think i can because Impact are only using 1 midi channel.

Studio One is my main DAW since nearly four years and I had a couple of conversions with a staff member of the S1 team in Hamburg about certain (missing) features along the way. Together with my general observations I came to the conclusion that they are developing features mostly along the guidelines of certain usecases while trying to be creative about it. And they are successful with this strategy AFAICT. It has one major side effect though: There are many users who don't exactly want to use a feature according to the implemented usecases, but have needs where the feature would be useful, too. But many times it just doesn't fit. Like in any software there are also bugs and oversights of course. Just like the actual interleaved audio AAF export that PT cannot import while you also cannot cut a stereo file to mono files easily :roll:

There are other DAWs out there (I don't name names here) that are obviously trying to do it another way: Implementing features in the most flexible way. The downside here is that the user has generally to do some more thinking and configuring. That way is more nerdy by nature and the software is reflecting that. To each its own. In the end I switched to S1 mostly because of ARA and had and have my letdowns, too.

To cut a long story short: Your usecase (Using an instrument with multiple MIDI channels) doesn't seem to be taken into account yet seriously:
a) You cannot record to one instrument track on multiple MIDI channels. Therefor you have to create an instrument track for each MIDI Channel, like it or not. BUT:
b) You cannot include multiple instrument tracks into an instrument preset like you can with FX and channels.

But now with the song data import you are close enough at least for getting a setup into a new song quickly, as has been mentioned by others. But you also mentioned the arranger track. The song data import can import the arranger/tempo/marker tracks. But you cannot see them in the browser, you need to use the menu: Songs - import song data. BUT: You can only see the arranger track in the import window if there is anything in it. You always have tempo and start/stop markers, so the tempo and marker tracks can always be imported...

So give up on hoping for MIDI and tempo map improvements in the near future then?
by brconflict on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:02 pm
franYo wroteAs wonder6oy mentioned, this has something to do with busses.

Ok so the by far number one most requested item has not been taken into account... Waowww.........

Waowww.....

:|

I guess I have no more reasons to upgrade now. :|

I found this to be quite surprising as well. Considering the number of new major features Studio One 4 has, CPU refinements wasn't high on the list, I suppose. I'd like to have the drum step-sequencer, but without an easier load on my Quad-Core i7 2700K, my priority is that I must be able to mix sessions above everything else. Creativity is the trend, but certainly not what I need for what I do as a Mix/Master engineer.

Since S1 relies on the first core most, I wanted to balance the cores using some other method. What I tried was, download a free copy of Waves Studio Rack. It doesn't require an external SoundGrid server to run (even though, that's what it's used for, primarily), You can put a couple of plugins in an instance of StudioRack, and it can better balance the plugins in that chain across your lesser consumed CPU cores. Try closing other apps on your DAW machine while using this method. Caveat: It won't help for more than a few plugins, but if you're at that point, it might work to add a few more.

I've pre-ordered the new Waves Impact Server $700 unit to offload plug-ins to it over Ethernet. It's unfortunate that I feel the need to spend that money on external hardware, but I see this happening more and more as my sessions grow. I've also looked at Vienna Ensemble Pro 6, but for $250 + an additional computer, I decided to just go with the Waves product.
by danam2 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:06 pm
aaronbrito wrote
So give up on hoping for MIDI and tempo map improvements in the near future then?

What MIDI and tempo map improvements exactly? What do you call "near future"? :D
If you look at answers.presonus.com you can see that features with many votes may be implemented sooner. They also always say that they try to focus each release on certain user groups and their needs and usecases. But when? Ask them, they won't tell you...

by robertgray3 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:45 pm
aaronbrito wroteSo give up on hoping for MIDI and tempo map improvements in the near future then?

I hate to sound jaded but it pays to have low expectations as far as DAW feature requests go. I have not seen any DAW manufacturer add features at the rate that the community can request them.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by j0001s on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:20 pm
aaronbrito wroteSo give up on hoping for MIDI and tempo map improvements in the near future then?

Just last Jan 28, the governing body for MIDI (MIDI Manufacturers Association) agreed on the new MIDI polyphonic expression spec. It's a pretty major addition. And there's really no choice but to implement it.

If I was looking at a MIDI overhaul, I wouldn't have started until the spec was approved.
by mikemanners on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:58 am
I have been experimenting with Patterns, but I can't transpose a pattern created within the Pattern user interface. One has to create the Pattern, then copy it out to an instrument track first.

I'd much prefer to transpose the pattern within the Pattern creator - is there a way, please?

Rubber banding and dragging is too imprecise.

STUDIO ONE 4 PROFESSIONAL
    WINDOWS 10 PROFESSIONAL 64 Bit
by lechbialek on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:07 am
Hi all,

I ran into an issue after upgrading from Studio One Artist from 3.5 to version 4. Samples imported into Sample One XT and Impact XT don't get added to the Pool anymore like they used to in version 3.5.

This means that the Copy external files function doensn't work properly and you risk losing your Sample One and Impact XT samples because they are not copied over to the project folder anymore. There is no easy workaround either without killing the workflow. Recorded samples in the new Sample One XT do get saved to the project folder, but any imported external files don't!

In the mean time I have reverted to using version 3.5, which is a shame because I can't use the nice new features of version 4.

I believe this is a bug in version 4, can you confirm? Can we urge Presonus to issue a bug fixed release?

Kind regards,

Lech
by robertgray3 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:52 am
There’s a thread about that with some info at viewtopic.php?f=151&t=30379&p=173654&hilit=Impact#p173654 and viewtopic.php?f=151&t=30563&p=174951#p174951

It’s probably best to file a Support Ticket at the Presonus Knowledge Base. I think (haven’t tested extensively) the new features regarding global Sample storage made it harder to encapsulate your samples within a song. Support may have more info for you, and if it is a bug/design issue it can give support an indicator that people are running into it and it’s causing issues.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by DrummaMan on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 am
crussell wrote
crussell wrote
jpettit wroteThey are tracking down several Melodyne large issues.
What resolution are you running?

I have an iMac Pro which runs at 5K. I'll create a ticket tomorrow. I want to do more testing first to help narrow it down.

I'm currently setting up an iMac 2.3 GHz i5, 16GB for work. I always install StudioOne for demos. I created a new song, added a drum loop, edited it with Melodyne, I then detached and attached the editor about 5 times. It then displayed the same weird screen that appeared on my iMac Pro. There was no data on the screen and the Melodyne window had a dark grey additional window attached to it. Then SOP4 crashed. I'll have to send a screen shot tomorrow. So I consider that good news that my iMac Pro isn't actually misbehaving.

Yes, I also experienced this with Windows 10 Pro x64 and Melodyne Studio 4

The other issue is that Melodyne does not automatically display the blobs when opening a clip from SOP4 for editing. - you have to now tell Melodyne you want to see the blobs by clicking on the only track shown in the left column and selecting the color blobs. It's behaving like there is more than one track being edited...

Add "Include Mix FX" Check Box when saving Custom FX Chains: https://answers.presonus.com/73924/save ... x-channels - THUMB IT UP!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Windows 10 Pro x64 running on a custom tower PC with ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II MOBO/ LGA 2066 Intel Core i9 X (12 Core), 64GB RAM, 1TB M.2 (OS), 2TB M.2 (Sample Libraries) 2TB SSD for audio, 1TB Raptor Audio Backup, 4TB Storage/Backup Drive, (1) UAD2 Octo, (2) UAD2 Quad, Lynx Aurora 16/AES16e, Radeon RX 570 ROG Video Card
by aaronbrito on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:04 am
danam2 wrote
aaronbrito wrote

What MIDI and tempo map improvements exactly? What do you call "near future"? :D
If you look at answers.presonus.com you can see that features with many votes may be implemented sooner. They also always say that they try to focus each release on certain user groups and their needs and usecases. But when? Ask them, they won't tell you...

MIDI improvement:
1. Logical MIDI editing
2. Per note MS compensation
3. Articulation map
To name a few.

Tempo map - should function like an actual tempo map - and not just a bunch of blocks of different tempos - which should allow you to raise the tempo gradually, dip it wherever you want or work in the "blocky" way we have now....
by effero on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:12 pm
Hi,
I am enjoying Studio One 4 immensely.
I am not clear on one parameter. When using Transform Instrument Track option, I understand that the channel insert FX are included in the process.
What about Main (master) channel FX. Are they rendered along with channel FX into the audio?

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask...

526 postsPage 23 of 27
1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27