12 posts
Page 1 of 1
How come a Studio One Pro update according to the shop site cost 3 times as much as a Studio One Artist update?
It look like only the Chord Track is the difference in the update. How can the Chord Track be worth that much?

EDIT:
Sorry there is also AAF (Advanced Authoring Format) import and export in Pro. But still it's a huge price differnce.

Are there any other differences between the Artist and the Pro update/ upgrade?
EDIT END

Motherboard: Intel DH77KC
CPU: Intel I7 3770, 3,4 GHz, Quad core - Hyperthreading
SSD: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO series
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: Intel HD 4000
DAW: Studio One 2 and 3 Professionel - 64 bit
Controller: Novation SL-MKII - Automap
Soundcard/ Interface: NI Komplete Audio 6
All is Fully updated including BIOS and firmware.
by Skaperverket on Sat May 26, 2018 5:15 pm
I totally see what you mean, and if this version 4 were only 4.0 you'd be right. But it is highly probable that users will get more upgrades like 4.1, 4.2 etc. and that might make up bigger differentiations between Artist and Pro versions. Perhaps that is the answer.
by jpettit on Sat May 26, 2018 5:30 pm
Import Song data
Chord Track
AAF
Checking on ARA2

There was already a gap, so for some the top two items might be the tipping point, and yes the gap will get wider with 4.X

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by bassfx on Sun May 27, 2018 7:20 am
Ripple editing
by robertgray3 on Sun May 27, 2018 9:08 am
Also tack on another 3 years of bugfixes/improvements for the Pro features such as Scratch Pads, Channel Editor, Multi Instruments, etc

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by LBH on Mon May 28, 2018 3:18 pm
Thanks for the replies.

It look like we really is'nt getting our money worth, when "upgrading" from Pro to Pro version.

Please keep in mind that AAF according to Presonus is aimed for new Studio One users, and not for excisting users.
ARA 2.0 actually only is mentioned in relation to Chord Track and for third party developers paid products, and that Artist version also is ARA ready, so this feature is'nt Pro specific.
Song import is'nt much promoted and not even mentioned as a new feature on the compare versions site.
And as far as i can tell, the ripple edit is'nt said to be a Pro specific feature anywhere either, and even if it is, then it's apparantly not worth enough to mention.
How can a Pro to Pro "upgrade" be worth that much money? Especially for users like me, who know somehing about music theory, and perhaps will not use Chord Track.
How come a thing like Chord Track is in the Pro version only? Is it actually aimed for users of Pro applications - if you get my drift?

What have for example been made in Studio One 3 Pro free updates, that's not in Artist? And which things that's not mostly is made for trying to sell certain other products after Presonus choice? I don't think there have been any.

And when have things that's specific for Pro version been improved to work better - also in a creative way - than it did or did'nt originally? (Usually those things also came with a paid update/upgrade.) Have it ever happened? I don't think so. Good call Robert, as i assume that at least is part of your point. Video and other things have'nt been improved either.

We have'nt got Tempo automations like a high voted feature request describe. We have'nt got the possibility to route audio into instrument plug-ins. We have'nt got MIDI OMNI or many other requested features this time, even if they should be - when having the foucus for the SO4 developement in mind. It's creative things.
No basic score editor has been implemented either, but only features to sell Notion. And very important - no Mixer snapshots either - or Project page improvements as some has requested.
And we can go on.

How have the gap between Artist and Pro been getting larger in years? Is'nt it the other way around, so the gap actually have been getting smaller thru the years?

What will i get for my money in the future free updates, that not only make the Pro to Pro "upgrade" price fair, but also make the gap to Artist larger? When will i get it and when will SO5 arrive? I think i'm in title to know, as i apparantly am asked to pay in advance?
How can updates be called free updates, if i have paid way to much for them in advance?

I would say that Pro users should be rewarded, or at least get there money worth, but apparantly the opposite is going on.

I can't see the huge price for a Pro to Pro "upgrade" can be (or is) justified. I can't see Presonus is doing or have done much for Pro users exclusively either.

Perhaps it's better to migrate to another DAW. So many things that i after so many years still miss in SO1. And it look like Presonus have a priority to work with all kind of third party stuff. How can that be a focus on me as a Pro user - or "You" as Presonus say?

Pro to Pro upgraders is clearly not get anything that's worth 3 times the money a Artist to Artist upgraders is getting.

by robertgray3 on Mon May 28, 2018 5:41 pm
LBH wrotePerhaps it's better to migrate to another DAW. So many things that i after so many years still miss in SO1. And it look like Presonus have a priority to work with all kind of third party stuff. How can that be a focus on me as a Pro user - or "You" as Presonus say?

Sounds like it’s a great time to be a Studio One Artist owner, in all honesty. The comparison of the Artist upgrade to the Pro upgrade really doesn’t bother me and I’m willing to bet the more work someone is doing the less it matters. My only question was, “will this upgrade and the likely updates save me more than $150 of my time?” The answer was pretty clear to me, but I guess it’s less clear to some.

As far as migrating, it’s been a while since I’ve bothered to research but I seem to recall most DAW manufacturers having fairly similar sales and pricing approaches. Not sure about Bitwig but all the others seem to.

I guess REAPER doesn’t but you’re gonna quickly eat away all those “savings” scripting and tailoring it to work in a way that would even resemble the workflow of most of the other DAWs.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Blades on Mon May 28, 2018 6:40 pm
Looking at the matrix of differences between artist and pro, there seems to be more there than what you listed. As someone who just got the end of v3 in December (which I am sure presonus knew development cycle-wise), I don't want to spend the bucks right now, and the chord tools are something that I would actually like (even though I hadn't really given them much thought before now), but I am also looking at the other features and also the cost of the upgrade from artist to pro later being a good bit more.

So I will probably go 3pro to 4pro, but I don't get what you are missing.

Project page is there
Melodyne unless you already have it and think you will get the up to ara2
64bit vs 32 for engine
Channel editor with macro controls
Notefx like arpeggiator and chorder
Mixengine fx
And on and on...

Not sure what I am missing here.

Anyway... Buy what you need or want. It is what it is.

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by WaterlooSunset on Mon May 28, 2018 7:18 pm
v3 pro to v4 pro on everyplugin.com is/was 125$

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by LBH on Wed May 30, 2018 10:58 am
It look like no one really can justify the Pro to Pro upgrade price.

No doubt it's a way to high price. Especially when Pro users seems to pay to be beta testers.

I don't wan't to pay again for what i allready have in my S1V3 and had in S1V2, so those features don't justify the upgrade price either.

Thanks for replies.

by jpettit on Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 pm
LBH wroteIt look like no one really can justify the Pro to Pro upgrade price.

No doubt it's a way to high price. Especially when Pro users seems to pay to be beta testers.

I don't wan't to pay again for what i allready have in my S1V3 and had in S1V2, so those features don't justify the upgrade price either.

Thanks for replies.

Thanks for your opinion.
There is no need for further comments
Thanks

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by PreAl on Wed May 30, 2018 8:09 pm
$115 is pretty good just for two years support. Don't use it the first year (then you ain't "bug testing"), regard new stuff as freebies. Job done.

All eyes on Presonus now regardless... Most important they fix bugs first (including age old ones) and the feature requests list needs some more love.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1