9 posts
Page 1 of 1
So the first time i fire up Studio one 4 i create a lead solo intro and then add a rythym part , recorded fine

The top track is my lead solo and the 2nd my rythym , at the cut point on the top track i have split and muted everything to the right of the split
The rythym is fine , but at this point the top track makes a pop noise , i have tried splitting and deleting the part to the right i dont need but the pop is still there

Why is it doing this ?

What is the correct way to deal with the top track , at that split is where i want it to end and finnish but of course Presonus always keeps a copy of everything i recorded after this right ?

I just want it to not make that stupid pop noise , of course if i unmute it and leave it as is ,then they both play fine

Windows 10 64 bit (1809)
32GB of LPX vengeance RAM
I7700K cpu

Line 6 Helix Rack (Audio Interface)
Studio one 4 Pro 64bit :punk:
by Lawrence on Sat May 26, 2018 6:43 am
Hit X to crossfade.
by danielbutler1 on Sat May 26, 2018 7:55 am
Lawrence wroteHit X to crossfade.

I don't want anything on the right so i just used a normal fade of 22ms on the end of the top track and that fixed the pop
I don't get this behaviour in Reaper at all ,its only in Studio one it happens , so annoying having to put a fade on every single split

Windows 10 64 bit (1809)
32GB of LPX vengeance RAM
I7700K cpu

Line 6 Helix Rack (Audio Interface)
Studio one 4 Pro 64bit :punk:
by robertgray3 on Sat May 26, 2018 8:27 am
Do you mean how Reaper adds automatic short fades on every split?

I believe Lawrence actually made a really helpful macro to split in this way, it’s somewhere in the forum.

I have it on a key command and use it when I’m splitting in the middle of audio to save myself a click or two.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Lawrence on Sat May 26, 2018 8:43 am
I don't get this behavior in Reaper at all ,its only in Studio one it happens , so annoying having to put a fade on every single split

Reaper and some other audio editors automatically / optionally fade audio clips on split by default to avoid that, and also automatically / optionally crossfades overlaps. Hitting X or Shift + X (Create Autofades) does the same here manually.. There are also handy Fade To and Fade From Cursor actions to use if you only want a fade in or out.

Unsolicited Advice: Try not to let small things like this get under your skin. For every second you lose doing A thing in app A that's automatic somewhere else in app B, you'll make it up doing something else where the other thing in app B is slower. It all balances out. Use the best current approach, just edit, and vote up the FR's..
by tezza on Sat May 26, 2018 4:17 pm
I had this same problem, having to put fades in every single piece of cut audio to ensure there was no pops in the bounced file. I found the pops don't always show up in just playing the split audio pieces and neither do they necessarily show up when you merge the files but they appear in the bounced file.

Jemusic showed me a good time saver by selecting all the audio chunks in a track and then using the inspector to set a fade in and out for all of them (fader settings at the bottom of inspector).

What I was doing was cutting my little guitar chords and leaving a 1/64th overlap and then moving them up to a finished track above, I assumed the overlapping audio between each audio chunk would generate a crossfade as I come from a video editing background where all video editors generate automatic crossfades for both video and audio if you manage the individual files in this way. This however didn't happen, there was popping.

So I got rid of the overlaps and just had them sitting right next to each other where I discovered popping was still there and then Jemusic's solution.

I am not sure how other audio editors handle this behavior but having the option of generating automatic fades on split seems a logical thing to do for an audio editor. Especially, if it is already known that fades must be put on all audio slices manually to avoid popping.

In relation to generating automatic crossfades for overlapping audio, I cannot think of a situation where you would not want this to happen, so it does surprise me that there is also no option to have studio one perform this duty. Especially when studio one has the ability to cut audio to a video track.

Also, I am not sure that generalized feature request method is the best way to develop a DAW. If for example other DAW's have the discussed functions then it would seem good from a competitive standpoint, to just implement them if a good logical argument can be made.

At a guess, there are probably 6 or so different users of studio one, Loopsters (EDM, beatmaking), Engineers (recording others), Midi producers (using Virtual instruments), Singer/songwriters (recording own songs), Audio recorders (recording straight audio) and film music producers (creating audio to a video track). Many might use a combination of these.

If one particular group predominates, then their features get implemented because they get more votes on the feature request, but then studio one starts to move towards that groups wishes at the expense of the other groups. For example, there may be 2000 loopsters for every film composer using studio one. So film composers are never going to get what they want because they represent a small market and will never get enough votes for feature requests. However, If a major feature film"s audio was found to be cut with studio one, that would be a fantastic status symbol and marketing opportunity.

I suppose it is whether you want to make a well rounded DAW that attracts a diverse community or whether you want to chase the major market. Personally, I think that all groups should have some of their features implemented, to make studio one a well rounded DAW with diverse appeal. There should be a way that all groups can be represented.

Also there should be a feature "Dequest" function where unnecessary features can be voted down to prevent studio one getting too complex. Not everything, once implemented, is going to be a success, if it is found it isn't, why leave it there?

OS: Win 7, 64 bit. MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS. CPU: Intel 3.4ghz, i5-3570, LGA1155. RAM: 8g DDR3 1333Mhz. 1 X SSD (OS) 2 X 7200 HDD (Recording/Samples). Steinberg UR44, Nektar Impact LX61. KRK Rokit 4 G3. S1 Pro V3.5.6. NI Komplete Ultimate 10.
by robertgray3 on Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 pm
You know, it seems like the popular requests get all the attention when you look at the Answers page but a bunch of the Sample One / Impact related requests that were added in the last round of upgrades were not very high up on the FR list. Some of them had like 5 votes. But they were very relevant in terms of the goal that they were going for with the SO, Impact, Pattern Editor, Drum Editor combination and what it meant for certain types of content creators. No idea how their process works, just observing, but there is definitely some thought given to it outside of top votes.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by jpettit on Sat May 26, 2018 4:52 pm
It is something like this

Studio One roadmap -------------------------------- \
Presonus Hardware roadmap ----------------------+ ----- Studio One Releases
Answers FRs that align to roadmap --------------/
Answers FR s that show they are listening ----/

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Steve Carter on Sun May 27, 2018 12:42 am
When splitting events I will (90% of the time - but unnecessary where there is no audio) zoom out and make the split at a zero node point, which, although slightly more time consuming, ensures that I rarely get audible clicks and pops at the event transitions. I also use the X fade function at times as a belt and braces approach.

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!

9 posts
Page 1 of 1