62 postsPage 1 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
Please find attached a 10-page Chord Track Explained handbook. This unofficial guide augments the 4.0 manual with additional procedures for crafting your song ideas, further explanations and many power tips to get the most out of the first version of this very creative tool.
Studio One Chord Track Explained V1.0.pdf
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 15932 times

Enjoy :-)

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by bassfx on Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 am
Excellent, thank you!
by themaartian on Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 am
Jeff Pettit, the official writer of unofficial How-It-Really-Works docs! :thumbup:

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by Anderton on Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am
jpettit wrotePlease find attached a 10-page Chord Track Explained handbook. This unofficial guide augments the 4.0 manual with additional procedures for crafting your song ideas, further explanations and many power tips to get the most out of the first version of this very creative tool.

Excellent job, and it should help people understand its potential for songwriting and other traditional music tasks as well as EDM.

I've been using it to add chord substitutions to make rock chord progressions more interesting, and doing modulations for more "tension-and-release." I made a Chord Library for Sonar that was far more primitive but provided a similar functionality in terms of being able to take songwriting into places I normally didn't go. This is way better.

Digital storefront: craiganderton.com
Free educational site: craiganderton.org
Music: youtube.com/thecraiganderton
Studio One eBooks: shop.presonus.com
by jpettit on Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 am
Anderton wrote
jpettit wrotePlease find attached a 10-page Chord Track Explained handbook. This unofficial guide augments the 4.0 manual with additional procedures for crafting your song ideas, further explanations and many power tips to get the most out of the first version of this very creative tool.

Excellent job, and it should help people understand its potential for songwriting and other traditional music tasks as well as EDM.

I've been using it to add chord substitutions to make rock chord progressions more interesting, and doing modulations for more "tension-and-release." I made a Chord Library for Sonar that was far more primitive but provided a similar functionality in terms of being able to take songwriting into places I normally didn't go. This is way better.

Thank you.
I think the potential of this new feature has not been truly understood yet. It is what Audio Bend was for rhythm, a new paradigm for harmony. The fact that your old melodic libraries are now much more useful is an unexpected bonus. This coupled with what you will soon see in ARA2 from people like Celemony represents a whole new way of crafting your song.

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by MrMavian on Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm
Thank you!
by edwine1 on Thu May 24, 2018 12:14 pm
Thank you

Windows 10 64bit
16gb RAM
Studio One 6 Pro
Melodyne 5 Editor
Notion 6
Focusrite 2i2 (3rd Gen)
GTX 1050ti
SSD Main Drive; 4x Sample SSD
Asrock B85m Motherboard

S1 user since v2
by raymondwave on Thu May 24, 2018 1:52 pm
(Cross post. Was told to post here instead of another thread.)

How do you tell Studio One if it detected a chord wrong? Is there a way to manually define chord for an event?

I'm trying to use this feature with arps and have a simple D minor up arp (D-F-A, D-F-A, ...) going for four bars, which works well, but when I move just one A note to Bb, it interprets the whole four bar sequence as A#maj7 and thus it doesn't work at all anymore. Does studio one just look for which notes are used or is there some algorithm which tries to guess chord in a more complex manner?
by jpettit on Thu May 24, 2018 2:12 pm
raymondwave wrote
1) How do you tell Studio One if it detected a chord wrong?
2) Is there a way to manually define chord for an event?
3) have a simple D minor up arp (D-F-A, D-F-A, ...) going for four bars, which works well, but when I move just one A note to Bb, it interprets the whole four bar sequence as A#maj7 and thus it doesn't work at all anymore.
4) Does studio one just look for which notes are used or is there some algorithm which tries to guess chord in a more complex manner?

First thoroughly read the handbook. Literally, study and try each section. Most of it is answered in there.
1) There is a lot of depends and variables in the answers to your questions.
2) Yes please read the handbook.
3) Many variables here. Best you use pictures. The quick answer you can split up chord segment per the harmonies and redetect
4) Too many dependencies here to any your question. If you are talking about instruments, a new chord is not detected until it finds the next three note starts. (again in the handbook)

Best to use animated gifs or video clips to demonstrate the question.
See Picture worth 1000 words herehttps://forums.presonus.com/viewtop ... 51&t=17142

Hope that helps.

by mixus on Thu May 24, 2018 2:36 pm
Is there something I need to enable in order to hear what chords are being selected in the Chord Selector? I'm hear nothing, even though I do hear chords in the piano roll. Just not the Chord Selector. I've looked through the 10 page booklet but didn't see anything about this.

Thanks.

Studio One 4; Mac Mini i7; 16 GB RAM, Mojave
by jpettit on Thu May 24, 2018 2:48 pm
mixus wroteIs there something I need to enable in order to hear what chords are being selected in the Chord Selector? I'm hear nothing, even though I do hear chords in the piano roll. Just not the Chord Selector. I've looked through the 10 page booklet but didn't see anything about this.

Thanks.

Quick answer. No

First on their list of improvement in near updates.
I describe the workaround:
In the interim always have it on an instrument track and Input enable then you can loop a chord to audition the changes or just play it on your keyboard while it detects your input.

by Milton Messenger on Thu May 24, 2018 4:07 pm
Thanks for the PDF. I really like this idea. More PDF's on individual elements of S1. Would like to see comping, Project page, midi editor, audio editor, etc. Great job.
by joseacosta on Thu May 24, 2018 4:18 pm
Thank you!
by nikolaospitloglou on Thu May 24, 2018 4:39 pm
Nice guide, thanks!

Studio One 6 - AMD Ryzen 3950, 32gb ram, Windows 10, UAD 2 octo(x2) - RME HDSPe RayDat, Fireface 802
by raymondwave on Fri May 25, 2018 12:10 am
jpettit wrote
raymondwave wrote
3) have a simple D minor up arp (D-F-A, D-F-A, ...) going for four bars, which works well, but when I move just one A note to Bb, it interprets the whole four bar sequence as A#maj7 and thus it doesn't work at all anymore.
4) Does studio one just look for which notes are used or is there some algorithm which tries to guess chord in a more complex manner?

First thoroughly read the handbook. Literally, study and try each section. Most of it is answered in there.
3) Many variables here. Best you use pictures. The quick answer you can split up chord segment per the harmonies and redetect
4) Too many dependencies here to any your question. If you are talking about instruments, a new chord is not detected until it finds the next three note starts. (again in the handbook)

I've read it a few times now, thanks. I'm using instrument tracks (ie midi, not audio).

Maybe I was just waiting for it to work different than it does, but I guess it only works with chords (hence the name :)).

Would've been cool to be able to assign a root note to a sequence and then let Studio One move that sequence with chord track according to root note.
by jpettit on Fri May 25, 2018 1:11 am
raymondwave wrote
jpettit wrote
raymondwave wrote

I've read it a few times now, thanks. I'm using instrument tracks (ie midi, not audio).

Maybe I was just waiting for it to work different than it does, but I guess it only works with chords (hence the name :)).

Would've been cool to be able to assign a root note to a sequence and then let Studio One move that sequence with chord track according to root note.

It does shift the chord to whatever root you want.

There are 3 follow mode fro Instruments.
Each will shift it differently.
Play with just one or two chord int a loop and learn how it shifts.
The algorithms are defined in the manual.
It has to find at least 3 and will shift no more than 4 simultaneous notes.

by raymondwave on Fri May 25, 2018 2:37 am
jpettit wroteIt does shift the chord to whatever root you want.

There are 3 follow mode fro Instruments.
Each will shift it differently.
Play with just one or two chord int a loop and learn how it shifts.
The algorithms are defined in the manual.
It has to find at least 3 and will shift no more than 4 simultaneous notes.

Yes, but it works with proper chords only.

See the attached image, I have an arp that plays Dm until at the end there is one note out of the chord. If there was a way to tell studio one "this is a Dm chord" it might be able to understand that it must not touch it when the chord track plays Dm and transpose that whole sequence properly to other chords when needed, that one "off note" would be moved in relation to the chord.

Now, when I turn on chord follow for that track, it doesn't understand it at all.

So I'm saying (or have now understood) that it works with 100% exact chords only.

I'm not yet finding a place for this in my workflow if there is no way to incorporate melodies, harmonies or so. I know they couldn't always transpose perfectly anyway, but for sketching purposes this would be cool and if you could print/render the chords after you are set, you could make the final adjustments to everything that didn't quite match.

Attachments
chordtrack.jpg
by kev4 on Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 am
cheers mate :)

https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... https://knmac.bandcamp.com/... Studio one 4 on Windows 10 Yamaha N8.
by ericbiggins on Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 am
Thanks for the the work. I have been trying to get an answer from Presonus on this but so far nothing, perhaps you can help.

How can Chord track tuning be change to reflect alternative tunings? I tune down a half step and also use drop D tuning at times as well as some open tunings and I would like when I play a E for it show as a E not Eb. Is there anyway to change the tuning without affecting the picth going back up a half step?
by jpettit on Fri May 25, 2018 10:06 am
ericbiggins wroteThanks for the the work. I have been trying to get an answer from Presonus on this but so far nothing, perhaps you can help.

How can Chord track tuning be change to reflect alternative tunings? I tune down a half step and also use drop D tuning at times as well as some open tunings and I would like when I play a E for it show as a E not Eb. Is there anyway to change the tuning without affecting the picth going back up a half step?

I think you mean change key but not the actual data. No, but please add an FR.

In the case of dropped tuning you are playing an Eb

62 postsPage 1 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4