125 postsPage 3 of 7
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Studio One Version 4 demo is exhibiting the same bug. Damn.

Intel i7 2600k
16GB Ram
Windows 10 64bit
Studio One 3.5.6
RME HDSP 9652 ASIO
Antelope Pure 2
by karismolander on Wed May 23, 2018 2:43 am
erichansen4 wroteStudio One Version 4 demo is exhibiting the same bug. Damn.

This has been a known problem already at least for two years, since May 2016. At least four users have reported this. It is not good if you cannot trust that the DAW exports what you hear.
This could be related to VST updating/display, which stops if you do not touch the export dialog regularly.
by erichansen4 on Wed May 23, 2018 10:28 am
karismolander wrote
erichansen4 wroteStudio One Version 4 demo is exhibiting the same bug. Damn.

This has been a known problem already at least for two years, since May 2016. At least four users have reported this. It is not good if you cannot trust that the DAW exports what you hear.
This could be related to VST updating/display, which stops if you do not touch the export dialog regularly.

This sucks so bad and I am so frustrated I invested my money and time into learning this DAW. I even convinced a few friends to get on board and now I have to tell them I am abandoning it. I like this DAW a lot. I like that I can seamlessly share projects with people on Macs (Sonar cannot), the audio engine seemed very stable during playback but this bug is a deal killer for me and I am ready to move on.

Intel i7 2600k
16GB Ram
Windows 10 64bit
Studio One 3.5.6
RME HDSP 9652 ASIO
Antelope Pure 2
by jpettit on Wed May 23, 2018 11:24 am
Please help us capture this elusive bug.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by karismolander on Wed May 23, 2018 11:53 am
I can start excluding plugins one at a time and experimenting, but unfortunately I am in the middle of a big project and cannot do that right now - so it will be June/July, when I can do it.
by sebastianholtzer on Wed May 23, 2018 3:32 pm
:roll:
We could make a list of the Vst`s that are used in your Songs and in my Song.
As may you know I have the same Bug.

If we have at least two of the same Vst`s this would be a beginning to have a look for the Vst that is maybe causing the bug. What do you think guys?
We could share this list per private Message or per E-Mail or public in the Forum or only to one Person of us three Persons. I would do the check / compare i you don`t have the time.

If yes we should arrange the list according to the alphabet and numbers at first. I don`t know how you US Guys arrange this. In germany we start with the Numbers and then we go on with the Alphabet. Think it could be the same at your end.
by bassfx on Wed May 23, 2018 3:57 pm
I am not experiencing this bug, so obviously whatever I'm doing isn't meeting the conditions to trigger it. However, I'm happy to test a project that exhibits the bug to see if I can replicate it. I'd like to squash this one too, just because I don't want to be surprised and run into it on a big client project!
by sebastianholtzer on Wed May 23, 2018 11:57 pm
jdurham wroteI am not experiencing this bug, so obviously whatever I'm doing isn't meeting the conditions to trigger it. However, I'm happy to test a project that exhibits the bug to see if I can replicate it. I'd like to squash this one too, just because I don't want to be surprised and run into it on a big client project!

Means you currently testing a Project Jpettit or an other PreSonus Human gave you or are you looking for someone who gives you his Project with that Bug?
Are you from PreSonus or are you something like a Headhunter a Company can rent/pay for hunting a bug??
Would like to see that beast pinned down.
by erichansen4 on Thu May 24, 2018 1:15 am
I happen to get a Mac desktop from a friend today. Took several hours setting up Studio One 3 and all my plugins on the system. Then imported the project that is exhibiting the automation bug on my PC and ran some mixdown tests. Not once did the mixdown dialogue freeze and every mix rendered had perfect automation.

Is everyone dealing with this bug on a PC?

I thought maybe I should reinstall Studio One on my PC but since the version 4 demo is exhibiting the same issue I feel like that would be a waste of time.

Intel i7 2600k
16GB Ram
Windows 10 64bit
Studio One 3.5.6
RME HDSP 9652 ASIO
Antelope Pure 2
by sebastianholtzer on Thu May 24, 2018 2:15 am
erichansen4 wroteIs everyone dealing with this bug on a PC?

Yes.
by bassfx on Thu May 24, 2018 6:50 am
Forgive me if I missed something, but has anyone correlated the plugins and drivers that are involved in problematic sessions? There might be a clue if EVERYONE who had this issue were to list EVERY plugin that is in their sessions. We might notice a pattern.

For those that are following this thread, may I suggest that if you list your plugins, please post EXACT version numbers of EVERYTHING -- every plugin, DAW version, Windows version (including Windows feature update level such as 1709 or 1803, etc.), your audio device driver version and your graphics adapter driver version.

I would not be surprised, after scanning through this thread, if there weren't some common correlation. If we can collect a large enough list of precise versions, drivers, etc., from EVERYONE, we might put this to rest.
by bassfx on Thu May 24, 2018 7:01 am
sebastianholtzer wrote
jdurham wroteI am not experiencing this bug, so obviously whatever I'm doing isn't meeting the conditions to trigger it. However, I'm happy to test a project that exhibits the bug to see if I can replicate it. I'd like to squash this one too, just because I don't want to be surprised and run into it on a big client project!

Means you currently testing a Project Jpettit or an other PreSonus Human gave you or are you looking for someone who gives you his Project with that Bug?
Are you from PreSonus or are you something like a Headhunter a Company can rent/pay for hunting a bug??
Would like to see that beast pinned down.

I'm just looking to help out because I'm a nice guy. :D Like I mentioned in my post, I want to squash this bug because I don't want it to surprise me when I'm working a paying job for a client. It seems like a REALLY bad bug, and if we can coordinate effort and get a REPEATABLE recipe to give the developers, then this bug will be solved.

The problem is that most people who report bugs don't actually give enough details or provide a repeatable, portable scenario that can be consistently replicated on other people's computers. So something that is very elusive like this bug will be particularly hard to nail down. So it will take focused effort to find it.

In my case, I have NOT experienced this bug, but I don't doubt any of you who HAS experienced this bug. So the mystery is WHAT is different in your session, and can you REPEAT it, and then can SOMEONE ELSE repeat it too, with the EXACT same steps. It's just the scientific method, and we have to be SCIENTISTS here. :-) The second you can get repeatability AND portability, we can get the developers to take action. But right now, everyone seems to be shooting in the dark and we can't nail down a repeatable recipe. This is a problem, but it can be solved if we work together. I am willing to run some test sessions to help.

I'm pretty new to really pushing Studio One (although I've owned a license since v1), coming over from many other DAWs. And I've already interacted with the developers on another bug, and they have been very professional and responsive so far. So at least as of right now, I think they really are trying hard to squash bugs. But the developers can't really do ANYTHING concrete until they can REPEAT the bug consistently. This seems like a very hard bug and so the only way to solve it is if we work together to correlate ALL the scenarios that trigger the problem.

So again, I'm suggesting that everyone please post EXTREMELY detailed information, about every plugin, every version, audio and graphics driver versions, etc. Also, if you can create a REPEATABLE test song file that triggers the problem, then we will certainly solve this problem.
by soupiraille on Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 am
Meanwhile, as a workaround, instead of of using the export mixdown function you can print your mix "a la Protools":
  • instead of routing your tracks and buses to the Master bus, route them to a new Bus (let's call it "Final Bus")
  • then create a new audio track, and set its INPUT to be the "Final Bus" (yes, you can do that)
  • mute that track (press M), ARM record (press R) and disable "listening input" by pressing U if you want (in order to avoid listening to your mix twice)
  • put a Marker at the end of your song, right click that marker and select "Stop here"
  • put the playback head at the beginning and press REC! It will automatically stop at the end marker.

It will print your mix EXACTLY as you are hearing it, no second guessing like in the export mixdown function – when you do offline rendering all kinds of things happen (like oversampling for some plugins, etc.) and I cannot allow stuff happening without my consent that will change the sound, and I don't want to systematically double check after the export that the mixdown is like I was hearing in live playback — which is the mode you spent hours on, so it is LOGIC to print what you are hearing during playback, and not use an offline export function that could change your sound and potentially have bugs like automation not written.

I've used this method for a couple years now, I never use the offline export function anymore. This way I'm sure that what I get is EXACTLY what I hear.

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble — which doesn't prevent from helping hunting this bug for the other users :D

PS: the printed track resides in the "Media" folder of your song ;)

EDIT: if you have Studio One 4, you can use these steps to print "a la Protools": How do I record the mix back to an audio track like in Pro Tools?
by bassfx on Thu May 24, 2018 8:53 am
Thanks, soupiraille, this workflow will come in handy whether or not someone is having the automation issue!
by erichansen4 on Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 am
I second that soupiraille. Thank you for an excellent work around. That will be a life saver!

For the record the project I am having difficulty with has the following plugins:

Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machines
Slate Digital Virtual Mix Rack
Slate Digital Virtual Bus Compressors
Ozone 8 Advanced
LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Reverb
PreSonus VU Meter
PreSonus Pro EQ
Sonar Works Reference x64

I have removed the Sonar Works plugin from the project but it did not change anything. This project had a few virtual instruments. VirHarmonic Violin and Kontakt 5. I did try converting all MIDI tracks to audio and removing the virtual instruments from the project. Still no change. Could this be an iLok issue? My Slate plugins and the reverb use iLok. The Ozone plugin was authorized by phoning home with a key.

Intel i7 2600k
16GB Ram
Windows 10 64bit
Studio One 3.5.6
RME HDSP 9652 ASIO
Antelope Pure 2
by sebastianholtzer on Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am
erichansen4 wroteI second that soupiraille. Thank you for an excellent work around. That will be a life saver!

For the record the project I am having difficulty with has the following plugins:

Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machines
Slate Digital Virtual Mix Rack
Slate Digital Virtual Bus Compressors
Ozone 8 Advanced
LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Reverb
PreSonus VU Meter
PreSonus Pro EQ
Sonar Works Reference x64

I have removed the Sonar Works plugin from the project but it did not change anything. This project had a few virtual instruments. VirHarmonic Violin and Kontakt 5. I did try converting all MIDI tracks to audio and removing the virtual instruments from the project. Still no change. Could this be an iLok issue? My Slate plugins and the reverb use iLok. The Ozone plugin was authorized by phoning home with a key.

This is great news cause then it`s definetly Ozone!!!
Because if I remove it while all Instrument Tracks are transformed like Jpettit told me i`ve to do, the Render-Dialogue freezes but I leave it untouched while my song is rendering fine without issues. Think we got it.
by bassfx on Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 am
Hi Eric, thanks for posting your plugin list. May I suggest you also add version numbers to everything? Including audio and graphics drivers, plus Windows release? I know it's a pain in the neck, but I think it may help to start cataloging all these details to see if there is correlation.

BTW, I use iLok plugins with S1 and I do not have the automation problem. However, I do not use Slate plugins or LiquidSonics. However, I do use Ozone 8 Advanced, but again, no automation problems here.

Not that this helps much, since I DO NOT have the automation problem, but these are my relevant versions, compared to your list:

Windows 10 Pro 1803
iLok version 4.1.1.2170
Studio One 4.0.0
RME driver 1.099
NVIDIA driver 388.13

Relevant plugins:
Ozone 8 Advanced 8.01.961.WIN64.VST3
by bassfx on Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 am
sebastianholtzer wrote
This is great news cause then it`s definetly Ozone!!!
Because if I remove it while all Instrument Tracks are transformed like Jpettit told me i`ve to do, the Render-Dialogue freezes but I leave it untouched while my song is rendering fine without issues. Think we got it.

I DO NOT have the problem, but I do use Ozone. Can you please list EXACT plugin versions, and all the other version info.

And also, can you post a song file that causes the problem? I will be happy to test it on my system to confirm/repeat the issue.
by santeripilli on Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm
Guys,

while I see an active community taking the software development forward, and it's a really beautiful thing to have, I'd like to repeat what I've said before a hundred times here (feel free to disagree):

In an ideal situation us, the paying clients, would not be required to go through complex processes to try and fix errors in software code. You are the source of income, who should be allowed to enjoy a well tested software upon the release, composing away happily.

You are, however, not paid salary for beta-testing, to be obliged ("Reproduce the steps or the bug will be unlikely to get fixed") systematically and continuously provide a software developer with needed information to pin-point the faults in development.

This is a major responsibility of the software developer, in this case, PreSonus. My personal opinion is that here the Studio One development is lacking.

Yes. Oh, be helpful, be kind in life and in this forum. But think about your consumer ethics, people. This culture will never change, should you yet and yet again accept a new version with a considerable amount of faults.

- Santeri

Apple MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2011):
2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR RAM, 500 GB HD (7200 RPM),
OSX version 10.12.4. (Sierra),

Interface: TC Electronic Konnekt 6 FireWire

Presonus Studio One 3, newest version, always (except when too buggy to work with daily).
by sebastianholtzer on Thu May 24, 2018 1:51 pm
jdurham wroteHi Eric, thanks for posting your plugin list. May I suggest you also add version numbers to everything? Including audio and graphics drivers, plus Windows release? I know it's a pain in the neck, but I think it may help to start cataloging all these details to see if there is correlation.

BTW, I use iLok plugins with S1 and I do not have the automation problem. However, I do not use Slate plugins or LiquidSonics. However, I do use Ozone 8 Advanced, but again, no automation problems here.

Not that this helps much, since I DO NOT have the automation problem, but these are my relevant versions, compared to your list:

Windows 10 Pro 1803
iLok version 4.1.1.2170
Studio One 4.0.0
RME driver 1.099
NVIDIA driver 388.13

Relevant plugins:
Ozone 8 Advanced 8.01.961.WIN64.VST3

Erich and me got only a match at O8 and PreSonus Pro EQ.
My Brother has a Slate Limiter.

So:
Same v8.01.961.WIN64.VST3 as yours
Latest Pro EQ from PreSonus in v3

Windows 10 Pro ( v1803 )
AsRock H270 Pro 4 ( v2.20 )
2x 1Tb Western Digital Caviar Blue ( Firmware 1: v01.01A01 / Firmware 2: v80.00A80 )
ESI Driver for Maya44 eX ( v1.0.0 )
Nvidia Driver for GTX 760 ( v391.35 )

Not tried at S1 v4. Will wait for Autumn and btw.: totally dislike this grey look on Sends and Inserts.
I went back for testing all Versions from 3.5.5 down to 3.5.2.
Last edited by sebastianholtzer on Thu May 24, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

125 postsPage 3 of 7
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7