526 postsPage 3 of 27
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27
jpettit wroteTry the demo.
4) See Full feature list pinned in this forum.
1) It is a prototyping tool.
2) many new MID editing features
3) chords and key now are bidirectional. Easy to print chord chart for performing musicians
4) see full feature list pinned in this forum.

Hi Jeff,

I'm gonna check out the demo later today (just downloaded). I reviewed that list a few times. There's not a lot of details about what's changed, particular for MIDI editing (outside of the Chord Track, Drum Editor, and Step Sequencer). For instance, your screen-shot shows note color by velocity in the PRV, but that's not mentioned at all in the notes from what I can see.

So when I read the Full Features List and compare it to a few comments I've seen that basically say things like, "lots of MIDI improvements" or when I see a PRV with colored notes by velocity, it's confusing because I don't see where this stuff is documented. And I've looked!

To your point though, now that the demo is available, I'll see for myself. Just downloaded it and launched it for the first time now (first bug: no way I have 830 plugins - that'd be crazy if true ;) :twisted: ). Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised with some sneaky new additions. Wouldn't be the first time Presonus added new features and didn't mention it in the release notes. I look at them like Easter Eggs.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by BrentJammer on Tue May 22, 2018 1:17 pm
jw31 wroteAs I said before I was hoping for expression mapping, MPE support, pre-recording for MIDI, all very popular in the feature requests section.

If there was one of those features listed I'dve been quite happy. It's a let down for me, sorry to say. I already bought Scaler if I want to fool around with a chord assistant for example. How much help does a person with a minimum of ability need with drums? Kontakt is the go to sampler, that's not going to change after today.

I too will be waiting before an upgrade, unless I decide to move to another DAW. You can't wait too long for important features, life passes you by.

That's exactly one more thing I thought off - by the time they now implemented a Step Sequencer, Chord Analysis, a better sampler etc. most people like you and I already bought into better solutions. Now these "features" seem like someone very late to the party - probably good to catch some new fish but a bummer for all longer-term customers, as so many needed features have been ignored.
by jpettit on Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm
I had 960 :shock: I use maybe 15.
It scans of the VST2 and 3 so to cut down on that I removed all of my VST2 that were equivalent.
I also did some serious housekeeping.
It scans 500 in 3 seconds.

The biggest culprit is companies that install their entire libraries hoping that you’ll buy them when you really only own a few.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Anderton on Tue May 22, 2018 1:23 pm
Funkybot wroteThe Chord Detection and Harmonic Editing (or whatever it's called) looks cool, but it seems like more of a "wow" feature versus a practical one...How often would I really shift the chords of pre-recorded audio after the fact in actual production? In reality: rarely to never.

If people give you projects to mix, you'll probably never use Harmonic Editing. But when songwriting, these are very useful features, especially because they work with audio as well as MIDI.

When songwriting, I always start with MIDI because of the flexibility possible with transposition and tempo changes while the song is still being developed. Harmonic Editing and Chord Detection make this approach even more relevant because now audio becomes part of the process, and it's easier to build songs around improvised sections where you captured an unexpected inspiration.

Also my pet peeve of "hey, we'll update our internal DAW products so they're not as good as industry standard products you should already be using like Kontakt and Maschine, in an effort to sell you more third-party content" was clearly in effect with the big upgrades to Presence XT and Impact XT. Nice updates if you use them certainly, but I always wonder who the people are that use DAW-locked instruments. Anything I can't take with me to another DAW, just isn't going to get used as a practical matter.

Nothing's going to replace what Kontakt does for me, but due to the level of integration I see the new XT instruments and Patterns more like adding FXpansion's Geist to Studio 1 than adding "instruments" per se.

No MPE?

I too would like to see MPE implemented fully, but it wasn't ratified until February. I assume that was too late in the production cycle to include a properly designed, tested, and debugged implementation (prior to ratification, IIRC there were some variations in how instruments implemented MPE). I do use the LinnStrument with Studio One in single-channel mode.The only thing I really give up is the ability to use pitch slides across the LinnStrument matrix. But I also have a somewhat different view of MPE. I see it primarily as performance-oriented. If I need to make changes, I prefer playing/punching a new part compared to editing.

None of this is to be argumentative, I guess I'm just saying that once you start using these features, you find aspects that might not be apparent on the surface.

Digital storefront: craiganderton.com
Free educational site: craiganderton.org
Music: youtube.com/thecraiganderton
Studio One eBooks: shop.presonus.com
by dannylegrand1 on Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm
And still no support with an external instrument plugin....
What a joke !!

Imac Retina 5K - Access Virus TI Snow - Access Virus Polar - Nord Lead 2X - Moog Sub 37 - StudioLogic Sledge Black - Arturia MatrixBrute - Korg MS20 - Doepfer Dark Energy - Doepfer Dark Time - Waldorf Blofeld - Focusrite Clarret 8PreX - UAD Apollo Twin Quad - UAD Satellite 2 Quad - ICON QCon Pro - Novation Impulse - 2 X Arturia Beatstep Pro - Genelec 8050BMW - Munro Sonic Egg 150 - KRK VXT8 - Mackie Big Knob -And much more !
by Bbd on Tue May 22, 2018 1:30 pm
There's a lot to discover in this release. No joke!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by muziksculp on Tue May 22, 2018 1:43 pm
Hi,

Has the license issue been fixed by Presonus ?

I'm going to upgrade from ver. 3.5 Pro to ver. 4 Pro. as soon as the license issue is fixed.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Studio One Pro 6.0.2 , FaderPort 8, ATOM. (Windows 10).

HW Synths, Virtual Instruments, Sample Libraries, HW & VST Effects, and Various Acoustic Instruments
by nikolaospitloglou on Tue May 22, 2018 1:50 pm
Presonus Studio One 4 sales and upgrades disappeared suddenly from JRR shop. I saw them there earlier today after JJR's promotional email.
Strange??

Studio One 6 - AMD Ryzen 3950, 32gb ram, Windows 10, UAD 2 octo(x2) - RME HDSPe RayDat, Fireface 802
by fnordbak on Tue May 22, 2018 1:51 pm
jpettit wrote
drewsocial wroteThe demo is now available in your account: https://my.presonus.com/

At bottom of the page.

There is a download link for Notion 6, but no link to download Studio One 4.

Free VST MIDI Plugins & More http://www.codefn42.com
by Funkybot on Tue May 22, 2018 1:53 pm
Anderton wroteI too would like to see MPE implemented fully, but it wasn't ratified until February. I assume that was too late in the production cycle to include a properly designed, tested, and debugged implementation (prior to ratification, IIRC there were some variations in how instruments implemented MPE). I do use the LinnStrument with Studio One in single-channel mode.The only thing I really give up is the ability to use pitch slides across the LinnStrument matrix. But I also have a somewhat different view of MPE. I see it primarily as performance-oriented. If I need to make changes, I prefer playing/punching a new part compared to editing.

None of this is to be argumentative, I guess I'm just saying that once you start using these features, you find aspects that might not be apparent on the surface.

Hi Craig (assuming you're that "Anderton"), I didn't take it as argumentative at all. I hope even my critical posts aren't coming across that way either. I really mean to be constructive with anything I post as I'm a big Studio One fan and just want it to be better.

So on the topic of MPE, I just used the demo for a few seconds and I was hoping that we'd at least get an Omni channel for MIDI, which still isn't there. This would've been a great stopgap solution to make MPE at least a little more bearable in Studio One until a full-blown solution could've been implemented. As I'm sure you know Craig, Sonar had midi Omni (might've been called All, can't remember) long, long, long before MPE was ever a twinkle in anyone's eye. I think Studio One is the only host I've used that can't record multiple MIDI channels on one track.

That said, look at that, MIDI Note Color by Velocity is in there. I still don't see it mentioned in the release notes, but at least that was added on the MIDI side.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by SkylineUK on Tue May 22, 2018 1:54 pm
I'm going to pass on V4. The target market seems to be (even more) firmly the users of loops and beats, i.e. not those recording performances of musicians. I'm not knocking the strategy, I'm sure it all makes market sense, but there's nothing I can use in this ugrade so I'll stick with 3. ;)

My songs

Intel i9 9940X @ 3.3GHz, 14 cores, 32GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 1TB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB SSD drive, plus extra 1TB HDD drive
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Studio One 64 bit. Version: 4.6.1.55987
Cakewalk by BandLab
1 Lava Lamp
by franYo on Tue May 22, 2018 2:01 pm
fnordbak wrote
jpettit wrote
drewsocial wroteThe demo is now available in your account: https://my.presonus.com/

At bottom of the page.

Same here.
by kitwatson on Tue May 22, 2018 2:18 pm
jpettit wroteThe biggest culprit is companies that install their entire libraries hoping that you’ll buy them when you really only own a few.

Yeah, like UA! Ugh! Everyone should be moving to licence manager apps with granular download/install/activate for just the components you have actually purchased. Go ahead and shove thumbnails in my face within your license manager, but don't force me to locally house inactive and unusable components. That's just rude.

DAW: Studio One 5.4.1.66992 macOS x64; Host Platform: Apple iMac (27-inch Retina 5K, 2017), 64GB RAM, macOS Big Sur 11.6; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2 GHz (4-Core); Apple SSD SM0128L; AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB GDDR5, 5120 x 2880 Retina. Audio Interface: PreSonus Quantum 2626 (Thunderbolt 3), ver 1.3-82. Mixing: Mackie 802VLZ4 8-Channel Mic/Line Mixer. Monitoring: JBL LSR308 active monitors; JBL LSR310S sub. Key Software: Arturia V Collection 8; Waves Diamond V13; Melodyne studio 5.1.1.003 (64-bit).

Studio One 5.4.1.66992 macOS x64 (Built on Oct 12 2021)
by stefanomaccarelli on Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm
HI Guys,

I Have some CPU issue... gltich/clip..128 Samples.... with dropout protection sets to maximum

Some Tracks , Kontakt, Arpeggiators, Chords Tracks, Pattern Tracks...

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core... 48 Gb

somebody else ?
Last edited by stefanomaccarelli on Tue May 22, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by santeripilli on Tue May 22, 2018 2:28 pm
jpettit wrote
Funkybot wroteCan someone detail what the "External VST2/VST3" scanner means in a practical sense? One of the stickies says, "fewer plugin crashes." Does that mean on startup? Is it plugin sandboxing of some sort? Faster launch times for Studio One?

A separate app for scanning prevents the host from crashing.
No, it is not a separate process for plugins in running mode as that has timing issues.

OM*G.

Has PreSonus fixed the most common plague of a feature called "Studio One has quit unexpectedly?".

Un-frigging-believable. The company has listened.

In total awe. Total.

- Santeri

Apple MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2011):
2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR RAM, 500 GB HD (7200 RPM),
OSX version 10.12.4. (Sierra),

Interface: TC Electronic Konnekt 6 FireWire

Presonus Studio One 3, newest version, always (except when too buggy to work with daily).
by MisterE on Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 pm
dannylegrand1 wroteAnd still no support with an external instrument plugin....
What a joke !!

Which is why I'm still on V2.6 and that will remain the end of the road for me as long as Presonus continues to insist external instruments are extinct dinosaurs when in fact there are still vast numbers of them in use in studios large and small all over the world..

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by jpettit on Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 pm
fnordbak wrote
jpettit wrote

At bottom of the page.

Did you own a Version 3 S1?

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by lordjingjing on Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm
Presonus, from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU. With the new Light theme I can finally upgrade from V.2! :D As dabbling some with beatmaking I'm really hyped for the direction with this release, good job! :thumbup:
by santeripilli on Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 pm
MisterE wrote
dannylegrand1 wroteAnd still no support with an external instrument plugin....
What a joke !!

Which is why I'm still on V2.6 and that will remain the end of the road for me as long as Presonus continues to insist external instruments are extinct dinosaurs when in fact there are still vast numbers of them in use in studios large and small all over the world..

You are one lucky chap. If I had known back in 2015 that jumping into the "v3-wagon" would be the saddest consumer move I would ever make, I would have stayed with v2. That MF was rock solid, a beast.

I don't believe the v4 wagon will change anything (unless the devs re-programmed the whole buggy piece of an engine, which I highly doubt), thus, gotta skip and move to an another realm of DAWs.

- Santeri

Apple MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2011):
2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR RAM, 500 GB HD (7200 RPM),
OSX version 10.12.4. (Sierra),

Interface: TC Electronic Konnekt 6 FireWire

Presonus Studio One 3, newest version, always (except when too buggy to work with daily).
by Fer2010 on Tue May 22, 2018 2:42 pm
Just did an upgrade to V4 (I previously upgraded from V2 to V3) but now my V3 activation is invalid and it doesn't show anymore as a purchased product in my products page.

I thought I'd be able to use them alternatively with the separate installers. Anyone know how this can be?

Asus X99-A, i7 5820K 6-Core (4.2Ghz With Multiplier), Corsair 32Gb DDR4 RAM (2133 C15), 1 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD, 2 Samsung 840 PRO 1TB SSD, 2 Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD, 2 Western Digital Caviar Black 4 TB HDD, AMD Firepro 2460, Win 7 64 Bit, USB 2.0 + 3.0 Ports, UAD-2 Octo Core PCIe, TC Powercore Express PCIe, Studio One Pro [Latest Update] 64 Bit

526 postsPage 3 of 27
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27