5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Most of the time I'm just recording a single voice or a single guitar/bass or what have you, but every now and then I'll record some drums with multiple mics, so I have my Scarlett 18i8 and I'm fine with it, but sometimes I take my laptop out to record and the thing isn't that portable. Plus, if I'm changing my buffer size I have to open up the Scarlett Mixcontrol and then go into Studio One and change it there.

So I was wondering if the little audioboxes had any improved functionality with Studio One? Maybe if they help lighten up CPU load? Also I would very much like to be able to reamp things with it (I see the little guys only have monitor L and R out, so is this possible?).

Any opinions? I see the USB96 has no way to switch between mic and line level? Is that annoying?

Thanks guys!

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by codyhazelle on Fri May 18, 2018 10:55 am
Bump

No one has any thoughts?

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by SwitchBack on Fri May 18, 2018 11:26 am
Other than maybe a tighter integration with S1 I don't see a lot you would gain compared to the Scarlett. Between portability, re-amping option, channel count and cpu load relieve you created a very tight manoeuvring space. By prioritizing your needs I think you'll have a better chance to get some help finding an interface to complement the Scarlett :)
by mikemanthei on Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am
codyhazelle wrote So I was wondering if the little audioboxes had any improved functionality with Studio One?

Nope. Not really. You get portability. That's the main plus.

codyhazelle wroteMaybe if they help lighten up CPU load?

Nope. Other than limiting the number of simultaneous ASIO streams it has to stuff down a USB channel, there isn't much difference.

codyhazelle wrote Also I would very much like to be able to reamp things with it (I see the little guys only have monitor L and R out, so is this possible?).

It might be, but if you use the monitor out to re-amp... how will you listen to what you're doing? I think it would be an irritating workflow and you might as well just use your other interface for re-amping.

codyhazelle wroteAny opinions? I see the USB96 has no way to switch between mic and line level? Is that annoying?

You've already done your homework, so the question of whether something would be annoying or not is squarely on your shoulders. For some folks, they're busy enough that "workflow" becomes a larger issue than it is for others.

What little experience I have with the smaller USB interfaces, the general rule is that you are using the MIC input when you use XLR, and you're using the LINE input when you use TS or TRS cables. So it's a bit of a no-brainer. If you're sending LINE levels down a XLR cable, then you might have an issue.... YMMV.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by codyhazelle on Fri May 18, 2018 12:54 pm
Thanks! That's what I really wanted to know...Doesn't seem worth it unless I'm going out to record at more places.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1