9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Does anyone have any advice on how to connect my Roland GR-55 guitar synth to Studio One 3?

I'm a newbie and was able to easily connect an Akai MPK mini but cannot figure out how to connect the guitar synth by adding it as an external device (the way I did for the Akai keyboard). For my Akai, I connected the USB out on the keyboard to a USB slot on my PC.

Do I need a different connection for my guitar synth like using an audiobox or something in between my guitar synth and my PC?

Thanks for any and all advice! Sorry for my newbie question.
by Tacman7 on Tue May 15, 2018 7:10 am
Depends on what you want to do.

I've never owned one but I've owned a lot of GK gear over the years and am just getting going using a Boss GP-10.

From a little bit of searching it looks like it can be used as an audio interface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gch4U263sDA

I tried that myself:
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=30104

I'm not using my pedal as an interface though because I have a really nice interface which sounds better.

That's the way most use it I would say is to plug the audio outputs into your interface to hear/record what you play.

Then there's the midi side of things if you're going to use the midi output of the GR-55 to trigger soft synths.

Do you have an audio interface? What sort of things do you want to do with the GR?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by chrisharwood on Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm
I found my old GR33 and Roland Strat had too much latency to record Midi. I just use my analog outs of the unit into my interface and skip the "issues" of trying to make the synth an interface

12th gen Intel i9-12900k, 3.20-5.2 GHz, 32 gig DDR5 RAM at 4400 MHz, M.2 2tb SSD (2), NVIDIA rtx 3060ti 8 gig, external SSD, etc. Win11.
PreSonus : Studio One V5.x; Faderport 8, Atom, Steinberg UR44

YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtG56H ... PKPbaG1_CQ
by Tacman7 on Tue May 15, 2018 7:14 pm
I was able to record the midi output of the GR-33 and it sounded good as long as I sent it back to the GR-33, maybe the 55 is like that. That can be good for recording a solo but if you didn't hold the note long enough, you can go in and edit that in midi and make it last longer etc.

Getting other synths to sound that good not so easy. It can be usable for some things but requires lot of effort of the guitarist to play perfectly and not have anomalies.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by Lokeyfly on Thu May 17, 2018 6:08 am
I've had a GR-50 since they came out (God, I paid $1200 for that thing). It works great through my MIDI ports of a MOTU patchbay, then into a Presonus Audio box. The audio outs of the GR50 into the audio inputs of the interface. The MIDI and audio naturally separate. With the GK-2 tracking, I have on my Fender Strat (54' Vintage), it tracks pretty well, but the real latency comes from the GK-2, due to the sheer physics of when a plucked string becomes enough of a stable frequency to read pitch. That's about 8-12 milliseconds. No matter what sensitivity the GR-50 is set to. It's always been a black eye of MIDI recording through a guitar (then, and largely now). Especially when playing anything staccato, like a tight bass line. The GK-3 I hear was a tad faster for reading pitch, but nothing to brag about. Still, you should have no issues hooking up your GR55 through your interface, if it has MIDI, and the interface is equipped with some respectable monitoring bypass.

As for the audio out of the GR, you should not have any delay, other that the normal through an audio interface latency, you would experience from that interface and internal mixer path.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by daniellesaux on Fri May 18, 2018 1:02 am
You'll need some sort of Midi interface with a DIN five pin connector. I have a Casio MG-510 Midi guitar that I connect using a Roland UM-1G Midi interface. That interface is now discontinued but there are plenty of other options out there. There is a lot of latency but it works fine for entering chords into the PRV that I can edit afterwards.

Peace!

Dan

PreSonus Studio One Professional 6.0.1
Windows 11 Home Edition 64 bit
Rocket Lake Z590 Desktop PC with Intel i5-11600K processor @ 4.60 GHz / 32G RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 750
LG Full HD Monitor 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Toshiba HDWD110 1TB System Drive and HDWD110 1TB Audio File Drive, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB Samples Drives, Seagate BUP Slim BK 2TB USB Backup Drive
PreSonus 1824C Audio Interface
PreSonus Faderport 2018
PreSonus Studio Channel, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, KT-2A and 76-KT
Check out my website http://www.dlsmusic.net
by davidhinojosa1 on Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 pm
Thank you all for your sage advice!

I'm a guitar player and wanted to use the GR-55 as a midi instrument. I have an Akai MPKmini and that works great a midi instrument. Problem is, I suck as a keyboard player and thought it might be easier for me to use a midi instrument I was familiar with.

I'll try out the suggestions this weekend and see what happens.

Thank you again
by bartbalint on Sun May 27, 2018 5:16 am
davidhinojosa1 wroteThank you all for your sage advice!

I'm a guitar player and wanted to use the GR-55 as a midi instrument. I have an Akai MPKmini and that works great a midi instrument. Problem is, I suck as a keyboard player and thought it might be easier for me to use a midi instrument I was familiar with.

I'll try out the suggestions this weekend and see what happens.

Thank you again

You might want to try JamOrigin for guitar. It has a little lower latency than myGR 55, and I find I have less editing to do afterwards. I believe it can be demoed.

Studio One v6.5, Win11 latest build, Quantum2, Huion Tablet, ATOM, GR55, HPD-20, iRigKeys, Mackie Big Knob, Elgato StreamDeck+, 8-)
by Tacman7 on Sun May 27, 2018 8:07 am
The guitar to midi conversion on the GP-10 is supposed to be better than the GR-55.

I wasn't very happy with it though, I was using an Godin XTSA. It got a lot better when I put a GR-3 on my Schecter.

It's usable now.

Forum Moderator.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1