11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Finally got my hands on SD3 having salivated over it since it was announced- really enjoying it so far but still very much on the learning curve.

It's great to have a grid edit facility but I'm finding it very user unfriendly (as a VSTi plugin in S1) because the cursor in SD3 on the grid edit page is not in sync with the hits on the grid - there's a delay between the cursor position and the relative drum hit (diamond).

When I'm trying to edit I'll look for a visual positioning reference from the cursor for either moving existing hits or placing new ones but I'm being fooled by the incorrect position of the cursor relative to the actual playback/sound I'm hearing!

Possibly a latency issue - but how to fix it, if indeed it can be fixed - any help would be appreciated.

Regards...

p.s. In case your listening Toontrack - why can't my saved EZDrummer 2 song tracks be imported directly in to SD3 complete with song creator blocks? SD3 doesn't recognise the EZ2 file format even though the two programs share so much in common!

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Steve Carter on Mon May 14, 2018 8:04 pm
Anyway, further to the OP's very interesting post (tongue in cheek emoji required here - how many times have I asked for this emoji - still nada!)..... using SD3 in stand-alone mode and opening the saved SD3 midi song file, then playing the file in the grid editor view, results in the required synchronised cursor position to drum hit (sounding of drum sample) playback.

This leads me to believe that the visual to timing anomaly (what you hear is 'not' what you see) is latency related. As I wish to see/hear playback from the SD3 VTSi in S1 whilst editing (not in stand-alone mode) any clues as to how and if this can be done, avoiding this inverse correlation of cursor/playback (visual-to-sound offset) would be appreciated.

Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
by Tacman7 on Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 pm
Only thing I've done with the grid is to remove hits I didn't like, changing patterns etc.

Do you still have timing problems using a midi track?

I'll have to try writing some with the grid editor.

What is your latency?

-------------------

So I went in tonight and put some kicks and snares and hi hats in as bestestiz I could. Seems in time here.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Steve Carter on Tue May 15, 2018 4:04 pm
Hi Tacman...

The problem is not the midi track playing in time in the song in S1 it's within the SD3 gui itself where the SD3 cursor in the grid editor page is not synced with the hits on the grid!

This makes midi editing within the SD3 plugin an awful lot harder from a point of view of identifying errant hits and/or inserting/moving hits because you can hear where the edit is required but it's not the same place on the grid, at that particular point in time on the timeline, where the cursor position happens to be. It's not far out, maybe an 1/8th or 1/16th note depending on horizontal resolution, but enough to be perturbing.

Regards....

by Tacman7 on Tue May 15, 2018 7:01 pm
I understand. I was saying it doesn't appear out of time inside SD3 in my setup when I said:

So I went in tonight and put some kicks and snares and hi hats in as bestestiz I could. Seems in time here.

I remember I had the midi on the track be out of time in cubase which was fixed when I checked the checkbox for USE MIDI TIMESTAMP. We have something similar. Don't know if you've tried playing with the midi settings or if they could fix it.

Hope you get it sorted!

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by Steve Carter on Thu May 17, 2018 4:16 pm
Latency is 330ms (total for song). Have loaded a less busy song with just over 200ms total latency - same result; cursor position in SD3 doesn't reflect accurately the timing of drum hits on the grid....annoying.

Going to try loading just somessaved SD3 midifiles into a new song to confirm if it's a latency issue.

Regards...

by Tacman7 on Thu May 17, 2018 7:29 pm
I think it has a problem with that latency, I'm running 256 samples which says input latency a little over 5ms as I remember.

What interface?

Forum Moderator.

by bradch00 on Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 pm
Steve Carter wroteLatency is 330ms (total for song). Have loaded a less busy song with just over 200ms total latency - same result; cursor position in SD3 doesn't reflect accurately the timing of drum hits on the grid....annoying.

Going to try loading just somessaved SD3 midifiles into a new song to confirm if it's a latency issue.

Regards...

Do you have record enabled and do you notice it worse when/if you don't?

Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM 1TB Flash
5 x 2TB SSD Thunderbolt
2 x 1TB SSD USB
2 X 16TB spinning disk for backup
DAW: Studio One, Pro Tools Studio
Interface: Presonus Quantum, Black Lion (Red) Sparrow A/D
Nectar LX88, Yamaha DTX III Extreme
Control Surface: Faderport & Faderport 8
by Steve Carter on Fri May 18, 2018 4:42 pm
Haven't tried with record enabled/disabled but did load an SD3 saved song track into a new S1 song with negligible total latency and the problem goes away in the sense that the drum hits seem aligned with the cursor, which would suggest that it's a latency issue.

This begs the question once more; can this be avoided?

Thanks and regards....

by gregchastain on Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:37 pm
Same thing here in DP 10.1 and SD3... all latest versions and Mojave is the OS... Anyone find a fix yet? Thanks
by Steve Carter on Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:25 pm
Hi Greg - thought this had died a death!

To the best of my knowledge this issue was not resolved. I started a post on the Toontrack forum, which had responses from other users with the same problem and even received a response from Toontrack saying that they would look into it but that also died without resolution!

Your post seems to suggest that the problem (I'm convinced by the way that it's latency related) still exists but I haven't used S1 and Superior Drummer in ernest for some time now, so I have no current knowledge.

However, whilst recently revamping my system for S1v4 I was prompted to update both S1 and Superior drummer, so armed with these latest versions of each, I'll try again to see if the fault still manifests and/or if there's any improvements.

Regards.....

11 posts
Page 1 of 1