202 postsPage 2 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11
Another thing that would be nice to see fixed... Are scenes.

They're built backwards. Instead of a scene being an inclusive list, it's just the opposite. It's exclusive. Why is this bad?

If I create a scene for just the drums, another scene just for guitars, another scene just for keyboards, and the fourth one for vocals, that much will work fine. But if I add one more vocal track, it will corrupt every scene I have and add that vocal track to it.

I don't know how this obvious flaw got through any testing level. Because I can't imagine how every added track getting added to every scene is appropriate for anyone's workflow.

There are so many good points to Studio One. But then they screw up obvious things like solos, cue mixes, and scenes.... as if they really don't have any experience in the actual job of mixing.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by bassfx on Tue May 01, 2018 4:13 pm
It's May 1, countdown to Studio One v4 release later this month! :D :shock: 8-) :mrgreen: Crossing fingers!
by jpettit on Tue May 01, 2018 5:00 pm
So where is this expectation coming from?

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by bassfx on Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 pm
jpettit wroteSo where is this expectation coming from?

It's not an expectation. It's a prediction. Speculation. Maybe also a hope. :D

Based on looking at the release schedule patterns and some other bits and pieces of publicly available info on the web, it's pretty reasonable to speculate that we're getting either a jam-packed, huge 3.6 update or a 4.0 release by late May or late June. My money is on a 4.0 release in late May.

I could be wrong of course, but I think the patterns look pretty solid for something very big in the next several weeks.
by bassfx on Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 pm
Some interesting release schedule facts for the fun of it... and part of the reason why I think Studio One v4 will be released in late May or late June:

Highest bugfix versions:

3.5.6 <== We are here

Time between major versions:

1.0 to 2.0 - About 13 months (1 year + 1 month)
2.0 to 3.0 - Almost 43 months (3 years + almost 7 months)
3.0 to May 2018 <== We are here - 36 months on May 20 (about 3 years)

More details:

1.0 to 1.5 - 7 months
1.5 to 2.0 - 6 months
2.0 to 2.5 - 13 months
2.5 to 2.6 - 9 months
2.6 to 3.0 - Almost 21 months <== this was an unusually major update IMO due to VI engine
3.0 to 3.1 - Almost 5 months
3.1 to 3.2 - Almost 5 months
3.2 to 3.3 - 4 months
3.3 to 3.5 - 9 months
3.5 to 3.6 or 4.0? <== We are here - 12 months on May 23!

Without getting into too many details, we are almost CERTAINLY due a very large update very soon. Keep in mind that the LARGEST major version gap was almost 21 months between 2.6 and 3.0, but also note they did TWO MAJOR infrastructure projects in that time, including a new graphics/interface engine AND a whole new VI engine (which forms the basis for Presence XT and Mai Tai, plus future new instruments). That kind of development is often a big investment by developers to lay the groundwork to make longer-term goals easier. Presonus has hinted as much when 3.0 was released, when they talked about the VI engine forming the basis for future instruments, and mentioned the new graphics engine. So if I'm understanding what happened correctly, 2.6 to 3.0 was actually a massive amount of research and coding. The VI engine alone could have easily taken a year or more to develop, based on what I've read of other VI developers.

So here we are, in May 2018, going on 12 months from the last major update... ALL other updates have been 13 months or less. So IMO there's a very good possibility that we're going to get version 3.6 or 4.0 VERY soon.

I personally am betting on a 4.0 for several reasons... the first and most obvious reason is that ARA 2 is going to be released very soon. It's been in beta according to many posts on the web and of course Presonus pioneered that spec with Melodyne. That was a BIG feather in their cap... and honestly made them a serious contender. They should rightly be proud of their work on ARA.

From what I've been reading in other forums, Reaper's ARA 2 implementation is basically ready once the beta process is complete, and Logic has announced ARA 2 support with Logic 10.4, so how on earth do we think that Presonus will allow another DAW to beat it to ARA 2's release? No way. Presonus will not let that happen IMO. So when ARA 2 comes out, I am 99% positive that Presonus will simultaneously release, or ALREADY have released the next version of Studio One. Presonus will NOT let Logic or Reaper win that race, as the original co-developer of the ARA spec in the first place.

And because ARA 2 is going to be a big deal, there is NO way IMO that Studio One will release it as simply a 3.6 feature -- they'll go straight to 4.0 to coincide with the major Melodyne release with ARA 2. Again, my prediction only, I have no inside info on this.

And unless Melodyne hits a big delay, that release is happening very soon, I predict by late June at the latest. An educated guess, and yes, maybe a little hopeful. And Studio One will likely be there, right from start of ARA 2.

I've got a bunch of other small reasons that may not seem significant, but when you add them up, they point to a release very soon, late May or late June as an inevitable release for Studio One v4, unless there is a huge delay with Melodyne and ARA 2. But again, since Apple *already* announced Logic 10.4 with ARA 2, I just can't imagine they'll delay very long. Of course I could be completely wrong and it might be many months before we see Studio One v4.

However, one quick additional note is that it's NOT common to see a MAJOR release from German developers during the summer. In fact, NONE of the big Presonus releases I can think of happened in the middle of summer (except minor patches) -- they usually happened right before the middle of summer, or right after. So if we don't get Studio One v4 in May or June, I don't think we'll get it until late August or the fall. But that seems way too long for ARA 2, given what I've read in other forums, so again, I'm betting May or June. :-)

Over and out for now... if I have time, I'll post some more minor reasons that add up... but again, this is all speculation and a bit of wishful thinking. I'm crossing fingers, and I think it will be a great update, whatever it is. And if we have to wait another 6-12 months, so be it.
by jpettit on Tue May 01, 2018 7:26 pm
Did you do an analysis of the date?

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by bassfx on Tue May 01, 2018 7:35 pm
jpettit wroteDid you do an analysis of the date?

lol, yes, I couldn't help it. I'm predicting a release on May 22/24 OR June 19/21. Tuesdays or Thursdays seem to have a slightly higher probability with Presonus. Also, almost ALL the major releases happened in the latter part of the month, except Studio One 2.5, which was released Dec 2, 2012. So the probability looks a little better for May 22/24 or June 19/21 IMO.

Note that NAMM is June 28-30, so it also fits in with my prediction. Studio One v4 would be the big DAW star at NAMM this year.

Do I get a special award if I'm right? :D
by Lokeyfly on Tue May 01, 2018 10:49 pm
These anticipation threads I usually stay away from. OP, you still around?

.JBrannam wrote: Keep in mind that the LARGEST major version gap was almost 21 months between 2.6 and 3.0, but also note they did TWO MAJOR infrastructure projects in that time

Indeed Jay. Another delay with the 2.6 to 3.0 from infrastructure was likely Presonus relocated to a new location. Might have altered projects just a bit, even though S1 development was not fully out of Baton Rouge, but largely Hamburg . And that development seemed to go into full swing shortly after the move.

Good point about Presonus staying ahead of the competition. Could impact a release date.

Not sure if it would raise any eyebrows if I said that I really don't care when there's a Studio One version 4.
I'd prefer they get developments right, and take their time. Some people often look to a new program release to expand on their musical front, but there's plenty of ways to enrich those goals by developing other good practices, skill sets, and inspiration/perspiration A new major release might be fun, but weather it will open up any new development doors remains to be seen, and frankly doubtful. Yet stability is always high on users wish lists. Ironically, a major release is not always so rock solid (yet). The ARA2 development will be exciting and certainly breath new life with exploring audio note structure or audio editing. Cool beans.

Take your time Presonus. :thumbup: the program is immensely usable right now and has been. Late June would be kind of a cool time, from this camp anyway, if that were even in the cards. Nobody knows. Not most anyway.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by bassfx on Wed May 02, 2018 5:23 am
Lokeyfly wrote... stability is always high on users wish lists. Ironically, a major release is not always so rock solid (yet)...

...the program is immensely usable right now and has been....

I agree completely -- Studio One is immensely usable right now for sure! This kind of thread is ALL speculation and hopefully a little fun. But that should not stop someone from using what is available right now.

As for me, I'm betting on May 22/24 OR June 19/21 for a bunch of reasons that make sense to me, but if I'm wrong, I'm of course totally fine with that. I don't mind being wrong, we're just having a little fun IMO.

BTW, why May 22/24 and not the following week? Well, the next weekend is Memorial Day Weekend in the US, and while Presonus Software is based in Germany, the main Presonus support and marketing teams are in the US and that would not be ideal timing for a major product release. So May 22/24 makes more sense to me.

And for option B, why June 19/21 and not the following week at NAMM? Because I've never seen Presonus unveil massive Studio One updates at a major tradeshow (although there might be an exception, so it would be rare) -- they usually announce *before* not *during* the tradeshow, and it makes sense since this would be a big deal this year, and like with any tradeshow, you often do setup, get lots of signage printed, ship kiosk stuff to Nashville before, etc... and all that could more easily get leaked on something like this. So they would more likely do it no later than a week *before* NAMM in this case.

And I'm also predicting that if Studio One v4 doesn't come out by June 21, then we'll get one last bugfix patch 3.5.7, and then Studio One v4 in August. 8-)

Just having fun speculating. :-) Not going to sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for it of course!
by bassfx on Wed May 02, 2018 8:04 am
And just as a fun little extra piece of data (one of the bits of info that added together, make me believe my predictions are correct) -- one of the developers of Reaper (Schwa over in the Reaper forum) mentioned this a few days ago in the Reaper forum, so it's public knowledge:

"I know they wanted to have ARA2 officially released by now, but I think there was a problem with one of the bigger, slower-moving hosts. It's like they are trying to herd a bunch of animals through a gate at the same time but one of the animals is 1000x bigger than the others and walks in whatever direction it wants."

And also this:

"As soon as a plugin that uses ARA2 is made public, we'll put up a REAPER prerelease that supports it."

And even almost a month ago, this:

"Celemony is still trying coordinate and debug things among the various hosts that will support ARA2 initially. We're basically ready."

So ARA 2 is essentially in the final stages... just being held up by one of the hosts apparently -- Schwa is most likely referring to Logic (although he doesn't name names) -- but even Logic has been in beta with ARA 2 for a while... it was already demoed back in January, so Apple has been quite open about its status, and it's been at least 3-4 months since it was publicly shown, and certainly *much* longer than that in beta.

To me, that means that Melodyne is going to release ARA 2 very soon, which also means that Presonus will also release *very* soon so they won't be seen as second-class behind Logic on something so important that they helped create in the first place.

So I'm sticking with a very good possibility for late May or June folks. Unless Melodyne pushes everything back to August or later, which is indeed possible. Melodyne has missed targets and pushed things back before with major features... so who knows?
by jpettit on Wed May 02, 2018 8:31 am
Have you analyzed the number of hosts?

by bassfx on Wed May 02, 2018 8:48 am
jpettit wroteHave you analyzed the number of hosts?

Haha! Not yet, but I'm sure I'll do that in between rendering files... :lol:
by Lokeyfly on Wed May 02, 2018 10:55 am
When will version 4 be released?
Place yer bets......place yer bets......

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Steve Carter on Wed May 02, 2018 2:58 pm
Are those people queuing for v4? Sure looks like they've been waiting a long time! Hope it's worth the wait.....

Seriously, there's so much in v3 that I haven't got to grips with yet, I for one am certainly not straining at the bit for v4 - ymmv as usual.

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by axxessdenied on Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 pm
IMPORT SESSION DATA IS ALL I ASK FOR

i7-7700k, Asus Z270-A, Windows 10 Pro, TI Chipset firewire controller, Firestudio Project w/ 6pin > 6pin cable ( Retired ), RME Babyface Pro, Studio One 3.5+, Softube Console 1, Faderport

Noise Implant - Auditory and Visual Stimulation
by ArKay99 on Sat May 05, 2018 7:09 am
jpettit wroteOk just to remind us, can you tell us in one sentence what is the issues with Solo?

Sure, https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=22902&p=125542#p125542 .

Mac Pro 6.1 32 gig 1866 memory, 512G internal PCIe SSD, 2-480G OWC 3G SSD's in Thunderbolt case, twin D300video cards, 2 x Raven MTi2's, Pro Tools 12.4 | HD, UAD Apollo, 2 UAD Thunderbolt Satellite Octo's, RME ADI-4 DD, Yosemite 10.10.5, Studio One 3.5.1, outboard hardware via AES (Bricasti M7, 2 x Lexicon PCM92, TC Electronics M350 though homemade SRC). Neve Portico 5012, 5043, Lot's and lots of plug ins, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Vienna Instruments, VSL Special Edition Strings, DynAudio Bm6's and MB14S sub.
by jpettit on Sat May 05, 2018 8:56 am
ArKay99 wrote
jpettit wroteOk just to remind us, can you tell us in one sentence what is the issues with Solo?

Sure, https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=22902&p=125542#p125542 .

Ok I would call that lack of a true solo bus. It is a design gap that would take a complete redesign of the solo function. They are aware of this limitation but it is a major redesign.

by mikemanthei on Sat May 05, 2018 2:36 pm
And the lack of a true solo bus says they didn't consult a mixing engineer during the design phase... that's the design Gap :-)

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by Lawrence on Sat May 05, 2018 4:49 pm
It's very common. It would go much faster to list the few popular DAW products that - didn't - make that same fundamental design "gap" than those who did. :)

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that but, yes, most DAW developers completely miss that, along with a monitor bus.
by bassfx on Fri May 11, 2018 7:16 am
Looks like PreSonus is teasing us with something.... could it be a Studio One 4 announcement? Who knows, but it's pretty cool! Note the date: May 22

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4626647633

202 postsPage 2 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11