Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am looking at getting a Dante card. I would like to be able to take, say ch1 on the RM, and route that back to say ch17 on the RM. this would allow for parallel compression, or different Chanel eq for monitors vs main. Is this possible?
What would the latency be between ch1 and ch17?
Once the route is established and saved in the Dante card, would this work in standalone mode, with no Dante network connected to the RM?

Thanks in advance.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:26 am
A Dante card does not bring your RM mixer more or other options. It just allows your mixer to connect to the Dante network established by your computer. The already built-in AVB option card works in a similar way, but an AVB network works without computer.

There is no way to "split" channels on the RM mixers and the Series III rack mixers electronically/digitally. IF you really need it and if it's worth the effort, this needs to be done manually. If you would use a SL console and a RM rack mixer, the "monitor mode" of the rack mixer will allow separate mixes for FOH and monitors. There are also several options when using two RM mixers cascaded via AVB. One approach could be to check which channels REALLY need separate sound processing and WHY they desperately need it. It may be that you find out that it's only a few of sound events, that need additional sound processing, so a manual splitt is a good solution. You still have the option to "shape" the sound of all 16 aux mixes (8 stereo aux mixes) individually, which helps with a lot of problems. People do hear different and therefore need individual sound processing. Most of the auxes have parametric AND graphic equalizers; compression, limiter, gate and high pass filter are available on all auxes. You can also use two of the FX exclusively for aux mixes.

"Parallel compression" can be done via subgroups WITHOUT any latency. Remember that subgroups can not be routed to auxes, only to main mix.

Hope this helps.
by sjc193 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 am
If you just need to do this with 1 or 2 channels (typically the full of him/her-self lead singer), check out the Radial JS2 for a single channel Jensen Transformer isolated Mic splitter. That's top of the line, but they also offer a much cheaper version that is still Transformer Isolated it's just not a Jensen transformer, the Radial ProMS2 (I'm sure it works perfectly fine for a hundred bucks less)

another option is to use up an AUX. Send a single channel to an AUX PRE1, flatten the AUX and set the fader to Unity, then run an XLR from the Aux out to another channel, you have now split the mic input to two channels, just make sure you don't send that second channel to the AUX again or you will get digital feedback which is BAD NEWS!!!

for Parallel compression/EQ for the Main mix, a SubGroup works, send the channel to both Main mix and the subgroup (which is also sent to Main) and set up the Comps/EQ to taste.

After saying all this I now realize you have the RM16 and are trying to split to channel 17 which doesn't have an actual input, well, I'm not exactly sure of that answer. . . I have always wished that Presonus would give us an Input Matrix for the RM, but that's not going to happen. . . bummer.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by Karyn on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:43 am
Yes, what you describe would work with a Dante card.
You could get latency as low as 0.25ms.
Once the config is saved you would not need the computer, but it would still need to be connected to the network switch/router, there is no 'local loopback', but this shouldn't be an issue because you'd presumably have it connected anyway for control...
There is no such thing as a "Dante network", it's just "Network".

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by sjc193 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am
^^ Nice!

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by robranogajec on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 pm
Thanks Karyn. I thought this is how it might work. Being connected to the switch is no issue, since I need the network to control the mixer.
by robranogajec on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 pm
I got a Dante card and configured the routing on the RM16 so that ch1 goes to ch17 etc. I can confirm that this works. Interesting enough, capture via FireWire sees inputs on both Chanel 1 and 17. I was hoping that would be the case but wasn’t too sure. Thanks for everybody’s help.
by robranogajec on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:05 am
I just measured the latency of routing ch1 to ch17 via Dante, setting the Dante latency of the RM to .25 ms, and recording both ch1 and 17 via Studio One via FireWire. I then analysed the waveforms and I got 1.6 ms, which isn’t too bad..
Time for some extensive testing of the Dante config before the next gig.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1