11 posts
Page 1 of 1
The Series III manual and the Stagebox mode adendum both highlight the fact that the Mac hogs the AVB bus when connected and essentially breaks the network.
This means you couldn't have a 16R connected to a switch connected to a your Series III desk and then plug your Mac into the switch to record.
I understand this was a problem for OSX before 10.10 but that more recent versions of OSX will play nice on the AVB bus.
Anyone got this working?

ta

Al
by wahlerstudios on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:29 pm
http://answers.presonus.com/21890/how-do-i-use-avb-with-a-studiolive-series-iii-mixer-and-a-mac?show=21890#q21890

"Because of how OSX makes the connections to AVB devices used as local Core Audio devices, recording over AVB is not supported when using Stagebox mode with your StudioLive Series III Console and a StudioLive Series III Rack mixer. Even simply connecting a Mac to your AVB network with either StudioLive mixer enabled in Audio MIDI Setup as an Core Audio device will interfere with the AVB routing necessary for Stagebox mode functionality."

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005322743-StudioLive-Series-III-Stagebox-mode-and-AVB-with-a-Mac

"So, if you are using a Series III Console with a Series III Rack mixer as a stagebox, if you have any Mac computer connected via ethernet to the same network that the Audio Network port of the two mixers are connected to, you must make absolutely certain that the Mac does not have either mixer checked off in Audio MIDI Setup Network Device Browser to be used as a local Core Audio device."
by alistairmcghee on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 pm
That was my understanding - but if you look at the MOTU website - they show networked systems with a Mac attached and when I mailed them to ask about connecting Series III AVB and MOTU AVB - they said the OSX limitation had now been overcome.
I wonder has anyone tried it?
by markgreiner on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:40 pm
I have a SL III 32 console, 32R, and PreSonus AVB switch. I can connect the 32 console directly to the Mac, but not through the AVB switch (I submitted a ticked about that to PreSonus).

The 32R has no problem connecting to the Mac, either directly or through the AVB switch. I have noted that when in stagebox mode, I can still connect the 32R to the Mac, and get meter readings from the 32R in Studio One (running on the Mac).

I haven’t tried actually recording in this configuration, but I will give that a try. I’ll want to pay attention to the quality of the recording, beyond just getting the meters to move.

I’ll report back.

Mark

Mark
by markgreiner on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:27 am
Yes, I am able to operate my 32R in stagebox mode AND connect and record to my Mac Mini via AVB.

I have my 32 console, 32R, and Mac connected via AVB through a Presonus AVB switch. I selected the 32R in the Mac's network device browser to connect it to the Mac. I unplugged the USB connection from the 32 console to the Mac. I recorded two channels from the 32R to Studio One on the Mac for about 20 minutes. The recording sounded fine.

HOWEVER, while recording, I got some popping in the L/R main outs of the 32 console, connected to two BOSE L1 series 2 speakers. This "popping" does not occur in the recording. The "popping" is kind of a drop in the sound for about a second and then it comes back on with a small pop sound. It does not occur in both the L and the R at the same time, but it seems to occur in both sides.

I don't think this problem has anything to do with the simultaneous connection to the Mac as I've had this problem when the 32R is not connected to the Mac but is connected in stagebox mode to the 32 console through the AVB switch. I suspect that the popping has more to do with the 32 console as it seems to happen only when the 32R is connected to the 32 console through the AVB switch. I also can't connect the 32 console to the Mac at any time if the AVB is routed through the AVB switch on its way to the Mac. I have an open ticket with PreSonus on this matter.

Mark
by wahlerstudios on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:09 am
Thanks for reporting. It does not really surprise me that there is more possible, than officially admitted. But there are two things to consider:

1) This all is NOT about stereo recording, but multitrack recording. People want to be able to record 32+ tracks via AVB, nothing else. Do you have the chance to check recording multiple tracks?

2) AVB networking is not "only" a console and a rack mixer. Soon the stageboxes and the personal mixers and multiple mixer set-ups will enter the networks and THEN we will see, if "recording over AVB" is possible, or not. There is no detailed information available yet for the stageboxes and the relevant manuals and addendums have not been updated until today. Maybe next week for Musikmesse...?
by markgreiner on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:49 pm
Yes, I was using two channels of the mixer to record on two tracks in Studio One. I'll try more tracks this weekend. With respect to the "popping" problem I describe, I've done more testing and now that seems to be unrelated to connecting to the Mac. I'm pretty sure I've isolated the problem to the console's AVB. Now I just have to convince PreSonus tech support of that.

Mark
by Tele on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:30 am
Man this stuff is confusing! One would think that all of this was well thought out prior to selling this equipment but it seems that all the customers are guinea pigs here.

All these companies utilizing & touting how wonderful AVB is but according to the StudioLive Stagebox documentation if a stagebox is used then forget about recording via AVB. What? Did I read that right? What are they talking about?

I'd like to see a Flowchart with a supporting Block Diagram of this to confirm what this AVB system will & will not do.

And where does the PC fit into all of this? Do we have to stay in the USB camp?

As supporters of Presonus products we deserve some serious answers so we don't get caught up in this web & start buying things that don't fully work.
by sheriffen on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:48 am
markgreiner wroteYes, I am able to operate my 32R in stagebox mode AND connect and record to my Mac Mini via AVB.

I have my 32 console, 32R, and Mac connected via AVB through a Presonus AVB switch. I selected the 32R in the Mac's network device browser to connect it to the Mac. I unplugged the USB connection from the 32 console to the Mac. I recorded two channels from the 32R to Studio One on the Mac for about 20 minutes. The recording sounded fine.

HOWEVER, while recording, I got some popping in the L/R main outs of the 32 console, connected to two BOSE L1 series 2 speakers. This "popping" does not occur in the recording. The "popping" is kind of a drop in the sound for about a second and then it comes back on with a small pop sound. It does not occur in both the L and the R at the same time, but it seems to occur in both sides.

I don't think this problem has anything to do with the simultaneous connection to the Mac as I've had this problem when the 32R is not connected to the Mac but is connected in stagebox mode to the 32 console through the AVB switch. I suspect that the popping has more to do with the 32 console as it seems to happen only when the 32R is connected to the 32 console through the AVB switch. I also can't connect the 32 console to the Mac at any time if the AVB is routed through the AVB switch on its way to the Mac. I have an open ticket with PreSonus on this matter.

How can you have conneting from 32r. trough AVB box. I cannot because every time Pre-Amp. goes to Digi Gain. So I get Mic on maby ch 18 on 32r. NO connething, to Studiolive 32III ????
by sheriffen on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:49 am
wahlerstudios wroteThanks for reporting. It does not really surprise me that there is more possible, than officially admitted. But there are two things to consider:

1) This all is NOT about stereo recording, but multitrack recording. People want to be able to record 32+ tracks via AVB, nothing else. Do you have the chance to check recording multiple tracks?

2) AVB networking is not "only" a console and a rack mixer. Soon the stageboxes and the personal mixers and multiple mixer set-ups will enter the networks and THEN we will see, if "recording over AVB" is possible, or not. There is no detailed information available yet for the stageboxes and the relevant manuals and addendums have not been updated until today. Maybe next week for Musikmesse...?

How can you have conneting from 32r. trough AVB box. I cannot because every time Pre-Amp. goes to Digi Gain. So I get Mic on maby ch 18 on 32r. NO connething, to Studiolive 32III ????
by sheriffen on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:56 am
alistairmcghee wroteThe Series III manual and the Stagebox mode adendum both highlight the fact that the Mac hogs the AVB bus when connected and essentially breaks the network.
This means you couldn't have a 16R connected to a switch connected to a your Series III desk and then plug your Mac into the switch to record.
I understand this was a problem for OSX before 10.10 but that more recent versions of OSX will play nice on the AVB bus.
Anyone got this working?

ta

Al

I do not want to Record with AVB , but only have connecting from 32r to StudioLive 32 III, And my mac are 10.13 High Sierra.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1