Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have ordered a Dante card for my rm16ai and am looking for a small cheap switch. This will be a small closed network, with approx 3 devices so I am thinking of a 5 port switch. I have done research and haven’t found anything that you can turn off az (power saving, EE), which is what is required for Dante.
Anyone have any recommendations for a switch? I use an airport express for wifi, and plan to continue to do so.

Thanks in advance.
Rob
by robranogajec on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:53 pm
The closest I have gotten is an article by Netgear.

https://kb.netgear.com/31291/What-is-IE ... t-Ethernet

It seems to indicate that some of their switches should work.
by roblof on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:03 am
To my knowledge, any switch that is managed will be able to turn off the energy saving setting.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by Karyn on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:45 pm
I've had no issues with the TPLink TL-SG1008P

Not expensive,
8 ports (4 with PoE)
reliable (mine is approx 2 years old)
No dropouts with Dante. (I've pushed 64 channels through it with no issue)

https://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/det ... 1008P.html

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by robranogajec on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:20 pm
Thanks for all the help. I have gone with a NETGEAR GS105E and have confirmed that energy saving can be disabled, as well as port loop detection. They are both disabled by default.
I have yet to receive my Dante card but will be testing this shortly.
by matthewseymour on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:40 am
My understanding is the energy efficient ethernet only causes a problem if something that's moving dante traffic turns it on. Dante hardware doesn't support it but PC hardware usually does. I've successfully used cheap unmanaged switches with EEE to connect four dante devices, no issues. On my laptop I had to be sure to manually disable EEE in the driver.

Much better to use a switch that allows it to be disabled though.

I've used the HPE OfficeConnect switches successfully. Personally prefer them to Netgear options and they tend to be affordable and sufficiently managed.
by gbam55 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:17 pm
Karyn wroteI've had no issues with the TPLink TL-SG1008P

Not expensive,
8 ports (4 with PoE)
reliable (mine is approx 2 years old)
No dropouts with Dante. (I've pushed 64 channels through it with no issue)

https://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/det ... 1008P.html

Hi, Later rather than never, I’ve bought 2 TP-Link TL-SG108PE switches with the idea of eventually creating a redundant backbone Dante network.

In the lab testing phase I’m having all sorts of setUp problems.

My net is basically 2 rm32ai Dante mixers communicating on 2 Tp link ports.

Analogue channels 1-32 network of one Rm32ai are routed 1-to-1 to the 2nd Rm32ai. (Typical stage box scenario for monitoring and split to FOH).

The last port of the switch is connected to my Nowsonic WiFi router for iPad control of the mixers via un surface.

I’ve got a MacBook Pro on 1 port for configuring and Dante controller monitoring, uc surface and I’m testing the channel routing, which is working fine, using a demo waves Tracks live recording being played back through FireWire to the 1st Rm and is routed through to the FOH RM.

Before starting, I’ve gone through all the online Dante education up to and including level 3 and worked out I need to configure the switch as follows :

For the slower 100mb device, Flow control on the WiFi router port
As I’m using multicast flows, QoS Dscp
To limit multicast propogation, IGMP snooping enabled

I’m having difficulty getting WiFi iPad access. It’s slow or unresponsive.

What can i monitor or trace to ensure that everything is configured correctly ?

I’m checking the Dante controller logs & the switch for Stats but I’m not making any progress. I have no packets in error or undelivered. I have acceptable latency. IGMP snooping is showing goog routes for the multicast flows. The routes are mainly between the 2 mixers.

My worry is that the switch is not up to managing the slow router on the fast switch. If I go for another switch, what functionality should I go for to improve my chances of success?

All help most appreciated

Cheers,

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2, 16.0.2 (x2), Studiolive mobile, Mac mini i7 Quad core, 16GB, MacBook Pro 2012 (1T Ssd & with all the Ports you need) Studio One Professionnal. Mélodine editor, Fader Port, StudioLive RM32-AI, CS18-ai, KRK VTX4 monitors and KRK 10s.
KRK 10 3 monitors. Yamaha O1v, KRK rokit 10 3 monitors. RCF 725-II PA and RCF 325 stage monitors. Turbosound TQ425/455 DP PA.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1