Share your songs!
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
I recorded the guitar part of this several months ago and forgot about it. I have been working on trying to get more impact and dynamics with S1. It still needs drum fills and lead and vocals, but I would like some of your feedback as to the mix and such. I only posted the first 2 minutes.
phpBB [audio]

Thanks for honest responses...

Intel Core i5 3.2Ghz - 16 GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
Mackie MR5mk3 Studio Monitors
1954 Martin 0-18 Acoustic Guitar
M-Audio Prokeys 88 Keyboard
by Bacco on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:07 pm
Hey, Cool percussion! I would like to hear the full tune once it's completed. In order to provide some feedback, I'll just note a couple things I might do if I were mixing this tune (noting that it's just my personal style/taste): I'd beef up the kick a bit more and overall loosen up the drums a bit too drive more groove. I would also pan the hi-hats closer to the snare (I'm not a very adventurous person with drum mixes though, I tend to stay with panning according to traditional kit placements), and also embed the hats more into the mix as they seem to sit above everything else. Some cymbal play might also sound cool here.

Again, nice job, I'll be interested in hearing the melody, i.e., lead or vocal you end up adding!

colangelomusic.com
by chrisharwood on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:22 pm
Sounds like a good start... kinda mixing as you write?? I do it as well.

12th gen Intel i9-12900k, 3.20-5.2 GHz, 32 gig DDR5 RAM at 4400 MHz, M.2 2tb SSD (2), NVIDIA rtx 3060ti 8 gig, external SSD, etc. Win11.
PreSonus : Studio One V5.x; Faderport 8, Atom, Steinberg UR44

YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtG56H ... PKPbaG1_CQ
by rogerhinton on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:35 am
Thanks for the feedback... I guess I approach song writing a bit backwards. I often get an idea and build a drum track to work off of then keep adding parts until I get something that I like. My ears are not very reliable anymore so I am never sure where certain parts fit into the mix. I do a combination of headphones, studio monitors, PC speakers and then in my car to see if it sounds OK under each circumstance.
I posted a copy of this on Facebook hoping for some feed back from some of the guys I used to work with that I still call friends. So far no one has replied at all. Some of them are working musicians. I guess when you stop playing in a working sense you become obsolete to those that are fortunate enough to still be playing gigs... I've been trying for over a year to get a drummer and lead guitar player to stop by for a visit.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
by rogerhinton on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:22 pm
A few additional parts added. I'm still working on lyrics and a better lead guitar part...
phpBB [audio]

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
by sirmonkey on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:43 am
rogerhinton wroteA few additional parts added. I'm still working on lyrics and a better lead guitar part...

First, I rather like the guitar part. Why do you think that it needs improving? In my opinion, you should have it a bit more prominent in the mix. It is expressive and emotional. You don't need to improve it. it's great! Just continue on! :thumbup:

Next, the mix sounds like it has a bunch of compression on the master. Am I wrong? We all have very similar, yet different hearing. What I personally am hearing sounds like a lot of compression on the master of this mix. If you are in fact compressing the master, I think that you should skip that entirely until you are finished composing the song. Maybe compress the lead guitar- only to deal with any peaks that clip...but that's all.

On a completely different note- I like the sound of your chosen snare drum. It really works well. Also, I love how the reverb tail of the snare sneaks in to the opposite side of the sound spectrum. It is subtle, but it's there. I do however think that the pan on that snare should be brought closer to the center. Maybe not exact center.. but closer.

Long post, already, but I really like the song! :thumbup:

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by sirmonkey on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:00 am
I listened to both versions again (thanks for leaving both of them up).

Less compression on everything, please. edit [I suggest] puuting all guitars closer to center, just a bit. But continue to be creative with your panning of reverb, and creativity with your time/panning effects. I don't know exactly what you're doing, but you have a lot of great things going on.

Most importantly, keep being creative with your guitar.

May reality be kind to you! And wish me that I can take and use my own advice!
Last edited by sirmonkey on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by jpsbuk on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:59 am
I have to agree with Sirmonkey on this one. There's a really nice 'framework' here with some nice sounds and melodic phrases but it does sound a little 'squashed' (compressed) and missing something in the center ground. I suspect your plan is to put the lead/vocal into this space?

Keep it going :)

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by rogerhinton on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:20 am
sirmonkey wroteI listened to both versions again (thanks for leaving both of them up).

Less compression on everything, please. Put all guitars closer to center, just a bit. But continue to be creative with your panning of reverb, and creativity with your time/panning effects. I don't know exactly what you're doing, but you have a lot of great things going on.

Most importantly, keep being creative with your guitar.

May reality be kind to you! And wish me that I can take and use my own advice!

Thanks for the kind words and comments. Yes there was a bit too much compression (Now removed). I've taken all of your advice to heart, but the lead guitar part sounds like complete garbage now that I have given it a good solo listen. Maybe I'll try again after some more practice. I have never played lead guitar before and only wanted to see how it would change the over all character of the piece.

I have been experimenting with something I saw about duplicating the complete track of some of the instruments and setting a few milliseconds of delay on one. Each track is panned hard right or left. That's where the reverb travel is coming from.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
by rogerhinton on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:22 am
jpsbuk wroteI have to agree with Sirmonkey on this one. There's a really nice 'framework' here with some nice sounds and melodic phrases but it does sound a little 'squashed' (compressed) and missing something in the center ground. I suspect your plan is to put the lead/vocal into this space?

Keep it going :)

I am trying to find the right words to fit the mood, but you are correct. It needs a strong vocal part which I am really not able to do.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
by sirmonkey on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:02 pm
A guitar solo performed against other instruments always sounds waayyy different when listened to solo. Even Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones once said he was very pleased and impressed with something he played against a mix. Then he heard it solo, and was, shall we say, much less impressed.
So, really, the important thing is for the guitars to sound right in the mix.
Really, every single guitar track I play sounds like crap to me, while solo-ing or not. But two guitars are definitely more than the sum of the parts.
I suggest listening more to the mix. What sounds like a mistake/imperfection/not the right tone....all of those things are like spices that can come together in a special way.
Your playing is better than you think

by rogerhinton on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54 am
sirmonkey wroteA guitar solo performed against other instruments always sounds waayyy different when listened to solo. Even Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones once said he was very pleased and impressed with something he played against a mix. Then he heard it solo, and was, shall we say, much less impressed.
So, really, the important thing is for the guitars to sound right in the mix.
Really, every single guitar track I play sounds like crap to me, while solo-ing or not. But two guitars are definitely more than the sum of the parts.
I suggest listening more to the mix. What sounds like a mistake/imperfection/not the right tone....all of those things are like spices that can come together in a special way.
Your playing is better than you think

Again... Thanks for the positive comments. I think it just a bit ironic that I was a working bass player for over 40 years. Now I don't even own one and have to use midi bass parts in my stuff or play the parts on guitar and use Melodyne to drop it one octave. I've always held on the 1954 Martin 0-18 that my dad gave me when I was 10. That is what I used in this tune for the main guitar part of this.

I will say that I much prefer playing music with other people than with my own recorded tracks. There is something about the human interaction and feedback that you cannot get from a recording...

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
by rogerhinton on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:34 pm
phpBB [audio]

The latest revision with different guitar parts. And Yes, i'm still trying to learn to play decent lead parts so just ignore the blatant errors please.
I removed a lot of compression from everything and made a few adjustments. It is by no means complete yet. i'm still working on lyrics and finding someone to actually sing them... ;)

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64

13 posts
Page 1 of 1