15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey guys,

I have had a severe malfunction for the past three days. Everything runs fine and all of a sudden, roughly after the Studiolive 32R had been connected 24 hours over USB, the computer sound is distorted. Windows sound as well as ASIO sounds bad, while the Inputs routed directly to the same main still sound fine. I recorded the phenomenon to sd Card. Can I post that here somehow? Please help, this is really a bad problem. This happened 3 times in a row. Don't know if I left the system running for so long before, or if it is due to something I changed. What I did Change is that I activated the device as output for the Windows sound. Other than that I don't know what it could be. Only re-plugging the usb connection helped.

Thank you in advance for your Support. I really love this device and want to see this fixed!
by andresrowig on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:24 pm
Here is the recording of the problem..

Attachments
test2-test2(00).wav
Distortion problem
(5.39 MiB) Downloaded 1555 times
by matthewgorman on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:34 pm
First, make sure you are on the most current firmware, download from your my.presonus account. Also make sure the version of UC is correct for that firmware.

Sounds to me like a USB sync issue? Go into windows device manager, into your USB properties, and make sure there is no power saving going on for the usb ports.

What else to you have plugged in to the USB jacks on the PC? How is everything connected? If you have a USB 1 device, like a mouse or keyboard, plugged into the same hub or USB stack on the PC, it will slow that entire hub down to USB 1 speeds. I think that would most likely result in dropouts, but worth checking for trouble shooting. Try removing everything else bu the the mixer and see if that helps too. Also check obvious things like USB cable, etc.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by andresrowig on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:52 pm
latest Software and Firmware. We checked that last week with the "Visual latency Problem". Performance is great until this happens. Power saving disabled, A usb 1 device is not present as far as I am Aware of, but that Problem wouldn't kick in after a Long time of good Performance.

I unplugged usb before to fix the Problem but it occured shortly after again. Then ASIO Driver couln't be started anymore and I had to Switch the 32R off and on again to get ASIO running. Restart of the Computer didn't help only restart of the 32R!
by matthewgorman on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:59 pm
Not trying to be a nudge, but can you post the version numbers of FW and UC? I have seen times in my own setup where I did a FW update, and it did not take.

All else fails, I would also recommend opening a support ticket. Support has a more inclusive toolbox than we do.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by andresrowig on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm
OC 2.5.1.45526
FW 1.6.13152
by matthewgorman on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:23 pm
andresrowig wroteOC 2.5.1.45526
FW 1.6.13152

Thanks. Never hurts to doublecheck. Best bet is to open a ticket. You can always close it if you can get the fix here, but it gets you in the que.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by andresrowig on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:31 am
Here's a screenshot of the recorded waveform..

Attachments
Screenshot_20180116-102939.jpg
by andresrowig on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:33 am
... rather looks like the signal is chopped, than distorted. There are periodic sequences of missing samples, which are replaced by zeroes. Strange! If I counted right there are 46 samples of zeroes, followed by about 50 samples that are correct. Two of those packets, then a longer one (about twice the length). Then the pattern repeats. No further ideas? I will open a ticket. Help here is still welcome :) I am going to play a concert in 10 days and I intend to use the interface feature. Would be a pain, if I had to power down the unit in the middle of a concert just to get the ASIO driver going again!
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:34 am
May I ask what you are trying to do? Do I understand it right that you want to use the 32R as interface for your computer with ASIO as driver? This looks like a basic misunderstanding. You need UC Control as driver and UC Surface as administration tool.

Here is an article on Windows configurations needed for playback: https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005260746-Series-III-Rackmount-Playback-Audio-Routing-USB-AVB-, Series III Rackmount - Playback Audio Routing (USB/AVB).

The download page for the 32R is here: https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-32R/downloads.

Hope this helps.
by andresrowig on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 am
Of course i am using the asio driver at 32 samples Buffer size and Everything works fine until After roughly 24 hours this chopping occurs. I just use uc surface to Control the device and i did the sd card Recording from there. The sound was played from youtube while reaper was running in the background. I have been Working with DAWs for more than 20 Years and i was One Of the first to Run Virtual Instruments on Stage. I know what i am doing. Maybe didn't explain the problem clear enough. Again: Everything is sorted out. Rack mixer and low latency functions simultaneously. All routing options as desired. Just that the Interface function gets corupted after long time while watching a movie for example. No interaction at all when this occurs.. The screenshot clearly shows that the usb stream doesn't work properly Any more then..
by andresrowig on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:06 am
Hey,
I just wanted to report that I haven't had this issue any more for quite a while. I am hoping that the problem is resolved. I changed the "power management" settings of all usb hubs and devices according to the "Glitch Free" document and it seems to have fixed it.
Cheers
by andresrowig on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:04 am
Hey,
the problem still exists. I found out that to recover the operation it is sufficient to switch the buffer size in the "Universal Control" panel back and forth. No restart needed, not even restarting the DAW. It must be an issue of the driver itself. Is there nobody besides me running the device for several days? Can't imagine that I am the only one having this..
Thanks
Chris
by joshuajohnston on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:28 pm
I had this happen regularly enough with a StudioLive 24.2.2 on a Firewire interface and determined that it was likely a driver issue where the computer either had an interference issue between two programs trying to access the same interface (Universal Control and Studio One running at the same time), and/or the computer hit an overload where the CPU spiked and cause things to go out of sync.

Once it [the driver? the hardware?] was out of sync, I'm pretty sure the symptoms were similar to what you're describing, where it was just indefinitely outputting garbage on the audio interface after there is the collision/overload/whatever.

My fix to this was to only use the sound interface on only one program at a time (even though it would work most of the time with both of them running), and to make sure the computer wasn't ever overloading or running scheduled (but unwanted) tasks in the background.
by sjc193 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 am
I actually also remember having an issue just like this as well, back with my 16.4.2 over firewire. I couldn't play MP3s from my computer for set breaks because every once in a while the sound would become distorted like that.

I do remember thinking that it may have been the MP3s that I was playing could have been at different sample rates. Like 44.1 everything fine then it tries to play one at 48 and the distortion comes in because windows media player sucks and couldn't switch back and forth properly. I bought the VirtualDJ professional program to play the MP3s from and the problem went away. So it was a windows software problem of some kind, I've been using VirtualDJ now for years and years and I forgot I ever even had this problem, probably because it has an ASIO setup in it so I can route my VirtualDJ music to any channel I want and that eliminates using the windows music driver. Are you using Windows Internet Exporer to run YouTube?

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine