Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello! We are using the StudioLive 32.4.2AI connected via Dante to MartinAudio CDD Live Speakers at our church. For about thirty minutes to an hour after powering up the system, we get occasional pops coming through the mains. Once everything has been running for a good amount of time (30min - hr), the pops subside.

In addition to the pops, we get a lot of interference/noise when attempting to play recorded music from a connected iMac over the Dante network. There are no problems recording to the iMac from the mixer, but digital playback is virtually impossible because of the noise. Analog playback has no issues.

Any thoughts on causes/remedies? I've been searching online, but haven't found anything!
by roblof on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:36 am
Do you have recordings of the two issues?

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by Matt Bramlett on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:37 pm
This is the pop or snap sound. Sometimes it's just one pop, sometimes it happens in twos. Can be a few seconds apart, or a couple of minutes apart until the system "warms up".

Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Pop 2.m4a [ 166.19 KiB | Viewed 7668 times ]

by Matt Bramlett on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:49 pm
Here's the other noise when playing music from spotify over the network. You can hear a slight crackling in the music. Sometimes it's more extreme than this, with the music only comes through in little bursts.

Sorry...I recorded these with my phone, so they aren't great quality.

Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Crackling.m4a [ 268.99 KiB | Viewed 7666 times ]

by Karyn on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm
Check the buffer size you're using on the iMac.
I was running a test last week with Studio One feeding 64 channels through Dante to my A&H system and got horrible crackling that I spent ages searching for. After changing network switches and cables I checked the audio setup in Studio One and increased its buffer size from 32 to 64 samples and all the crackling went away. If its an old or low power iMac you may need to increase buffer size to allow the cpu time to process the audio before sending it via Dante.

As for the occasional "pop" from your speakers... What network switch(s) are you using? Dante doesn't like EEE (power saving feature) built into some consumer grade switches. Again I had this problem, its caused by the power saving momentarily turning off the network port between data packets and not turning them back on fast enough to prevent data loss. It doesn't matter for normal networking as the packet would simply be resent and you never notice, but with streaming audio packet loss means silence, or pops.
The answer is to ensure your switch does not use EEE, or use a managed switch where you can turn the "feature" off.

Good luck.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by Matt Bramlett on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 am
Karyn,

Thanks for the reply and input!

I have tried adjusting the latency on the Dante virtual sound card, but I'm getting distortion/crackling when simply playing music from Spotify or iTunes or when playing a video. Not necessarily playback from a DAW.

We're using the Ubiquiti Edgeswitch 16-150w. I will check on your suggestion.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1