22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
In our worship service today, we had a very talented soloist, a young lady from our congregation. So, I wanted to be sure to record. She gave a wonderful performance. The Presonus compressor worked so perfectly. I used scene recalls to quickly change from the full praise team to just her and the pianist with a very different mix. I was so proud.

As I was shutting down after the service, I forgot that the recording was running. I just turned the board off. My bad, no doubt.

When I realized what I'd done, I was crestfallen. But, I took the SD card out hopeful that it might be there.

Well, it's not! There are zero-byte files for each channel, but no recording.

Had I been using our Tascam digital recorder, everything would be there except about the last five or ten seconds as the recorder writes out the audio in five or ten second increments. Apparently, Presonus keeps it all in local memory until you actually close the recording session.

So, I give you a word of experience: when recording, always close your recording session before turning off your StudioLive 32 mixer.

This raises two other issues:

First, if you are recording, it's all the more reason to power your StudioLive 32 via a UPS. The StudioLive 32 is not a very consumptive device and so even a small -- read inexpensive -- UPS will give you the time you need for an orderly shutdown saving your recording files.

Second: does anyone know how long a StudioLive 32 can record for? Live recording generates about 192KBytes per-second, per-channel. With 32 channels, that's 6.144MBytes per-second, 368MBytes per-minute. That adds up fast. But church services can easily and often approach 1.5 hours at St. Paul Lutheran. Other venues may often have concerts or other events that last significantly longer. Hopefully, the StudioLive 32 itself has 32BGytes of memory set aside for recording to match the 32GBytes maximum SD card.
by roblof on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:46 pm
If you haven't recorded anything else onto the sdcard it ought to be possible to retrieve that session.

I'm sure that someone here can give you the proper instructions on how to do this. I know how to do it on the behringer x32 usb recorder but since there might be some difference compared to the studiolive I'll wait to see if anyone else knows it for the studiolive.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by chuckgollnick on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:09 pm
If the recording can be recovered, that would be great!

All is not completely lost since I had a Tascam field recorder running to make an ambient recording and it caught a pretty good recording.

(I often run the Tascam to make an ambient recording of how the mix sounds in the space. I've been doing this for years and have learned an awful lot from those recordings. It's wonderful that the StudioLive can make a multi-track master for us which can be taken into StudioOne for editting. We've already done some great stuff with this and learned a lot. But, that little Tascam field recorder captures what the congregation actually heard which is rather invaluable for learning.)
by roblof on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:44 pm
I'm pretty sure that the wave files just aren't properly closed and are left in an orphaned state due to the streaming nature of the recording. You can use a file recovery tool to restore orphaned files.

The wav-header is probably not written (as this is usually done when closing the file) so the audio needs to be imported into audacity as a raw audio file so you can store it as a proper wav-file. Rinse and repeat for all recorded audio channels.

This is how to recover a lost recording on the behringer x32 onboard usb recorder. On the new x-live sd-card recorder for the x32 they have added a battery that will properly close a session should a power failure occur. Less hassle that way ;-) I can count the number of times power has been cut prematurely...

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by chuckgollnick on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:07 pm
The files are all zero-bytes long. I doubt that there's anything there.
by martinav on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:44 am
I concur, the files were not properly closed. Investigate different recovery tools. Just be sure you don't write anything else to the sdcard, and put the card in read-only mode by flipping the little tab over. Don't give up!!! I have recovered so many files in different crisis situations using tools. Even from a full sdcard format, you can recover everything, or darn near it.

Owner of 32/24/16 Series III Mixers, 32.4.2 Ai, RM32Ai, Studio 192, FaderPort, 2xULT18,2x328Ai
by roblof on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:05 am
This is because they are orphaned. A file recovery tool will detect them. They will be in a raw audio format afterwards so you’ll need audacity raw import.

One way of many:
http://youtu.be/lw5zBkoWAg8

chuckgollnick wroteThe files are all zero-bytes long. I doubt that there's anything there.

by Karyn on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:31 am
chuckgollnick wroteThe files are all zero-bytes long. I doubt that there's anything there.

That is just what the file system index is reporting. The actual files WILL have the data in them but the file system clearly can't record the file size while the file is still open and being written to.

Some recorders will store live data in chucks every few seconds, closing the file after each write. Others keep the file open until told to stop. Keeping the file open reduces the access time and improves write speed, important if you're recording 32 channels, but leaves the possibility of file corruption in the event of power failure.

A half decent file utility should be able to look at the area of the disk (SD card is still treated as a disk) where the files are stored and recover them.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by chuckgollnick on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 am
Wow! This is very encouraging. I have certainly set the card in question aside and will work on this as time permits over the week. I'll let you know how it goes.

If I can recover the files, then the tools and methods used should be documented because I'll probably not be the last person to face this problem.
by roblof on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:24 am
Googling recover zero-sized files gives plenty of results :D .

But as mentioned, I've made this mistake on my x32 a couple of times. I've even had the occasional cut of power when someone thought that it was ok to shutdown power.

I'm surprised that it took this long before anyone posted here since the slmk3 has been out for some time by now...

chuckgollnick wroteIf I can recover the files, then the tools and methods used should be documented because I'll probably not be the last person to face this problem.

by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 pm
No, this is not a surprise. When Series III products became availaible to the customers, the Forums were not available any longer via a direct link (May 5, 2017). Since then the Series III customers ask their questions and find their answers in "Answers".

Or not.
by roblof on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 pm
I’ve not seen any reference to this issue in ‘answers’ and things like this usually end up in the forum. Even my googlish failed to come up with anything about this on the slmk3...

wahlerstudios wroteNo, this is not a surprise. When Series III products became availaible to the customers, the Forums were not available any longer via a direct link (May 5, 2017). Since then the Series III customers ask their questions and find their answers in "Answers".

Or not.

by matthewgorman on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:34 pm
The top left corner of the display shows an icon when there is saving activity going on in the mixer. In the case of the op, the session was ended before the file headers could be written, but as stated prior, there is a good chance the data can be saved.

There are currently 216 topics in the Series 3 forums. Compare that to the AI console forums with 720 topics. I don't think there is a problem with people finding information here.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:45 pm
Most of the topics here date before May 2017. Since May 2017 the "StudioLive Series III forum" has seen about 100 new threads, while "Answers" has seen 300 questions (200 in "StudioLive Series III", 10 in "AR Hybrid USB Mixers", 90 in "StudioLive Series Feature Requests"). This indicates the shift I mentioned. I have absolutely no doubt that people have no problem finding information HERE.

I have seen no post about the original question anywhere, so there seems to be no general problem.

;-)
by magicjuan831 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 pm
Well, this happened to me a couple of nights ago during a gig. I unfortunately did not have a back up recording. It was a last minute request. I have the studio live 32R. The venue lost power.. unfortunately power did not come back on for over an hour, I didn't bother recording the rest of the event and I haven't used the card since.

What I have now is a (00).wav in my SD card. What I notice is that about 1gig has been used from SD card. I didn't have any other data on it before the recoding. So somehow that gives me hope I can somehow save it. I tried importing the raw audio to audacity and protools but no luck.. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
by jamesnicholas3 on Sun May 13, 2018 4:34 pm
magicjuan831 wroteWell, this happened to me a couple of nights ago during a gig. I unfortunately did not have a back up recording. It was a last minute request. I have the studio live 32R. The venue lost power.. unfortunately power did not come back on for over an hour, I didn't bother recording the rest of the event and I haven't used the card since.

What I have now is a (00).wav in my SD card. What I notice is that about 1gig has been used from SD card. I didn't have any other data on it before the recoding. So somehow that gives me hope I can somehow save it. I tried importing the raw audio to audacity and protools but no luck.. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Yeah, I had this happen and was able to fully recover.
1. Create an image backup of the SD card. This is precautionary, but if I hadn't done this I would have lost my recording.
2. Use chkdsk on Windows (I used Windows 10) to recover the raw wav file. If you don't know how to do this let me know and I'll give you the exact command.
3. Use Audacity to import the raw wav. Setting should be: 24-bit (encoding), Little-endian (byte order), 2 channels, 50 bytes (start offset), and 48000 hz (sample rate).

This is all from memory, feel free to respond if this doesn't work and I'll get your the exact settings.
by bogarguzman on Sat May 19, 2018 5:57 pm
To Mr wahlerstudios and matthewgorman,

If you both know how to solve this problem, why don't you write it?
If you know where is the answer, use a link in your reply, this is the nicer way to answer.
We all user will appreciate some kindness in answering our concerns.
I am sure we all want solutons, not to be told we are wrong or we don not know how to look for answers. We are writing our question to get answers.
I read the most of the question are written in a nice and respectful way.
I suggest the replies should be directly to answer the issue, or to point to an answer.
There is no reason to have arguments or to point lack of knowledge.
Everybody deserve respect and kindness, as well as you both.
OK, I agree, there are some guys writing to you in a grotesque and rude way. Well, those guys should be ban for a while from the forum, until they agree to make questions and answers in a nice way.
That's what everybody wants, including you.
Peace and Happy Spring for everybody

Bogar

Bogar

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4
32 GB RAM
Studiolive 32 series III firmware 2.01.16038
Studio One Pro
by bogarguzman on Sat May 19, 2018 6:06 pm
for you Mr. chuckgollnick,
Your SD card has the recording, very good, don't give up.
Use the suggestion of jamesnicholas3, SAVE a COPY of your SD Card with a Cloner software.
Then you can try putting it again in your SL32, and try with Edit button in the SD card, and see if there is your recording and can be save and close.
If something wrong happens, then re copy from the backup
Try Audacity, or any other good audio software.
I am sure you will get your recording working.

If you don't mind about your copyright, I suggest to ask for help in this way
1. make a backup coy of your SD card
2. Zip this backup copy.
3. Upload it to a dropbox or any FTP you wish, and
4. add in this forum a link to get your backup,
You will be surprise for how many will help you, including me.
Thanks,
Bogar

Bogar

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4
32 GB RAM
Studiolive 32 series III firmware 2.01.16038
Studio One Pro
by jamesnicholas3 on Tue May 22, 2018 5:27 pm
Yeah, if you post your SD disk image on dropbox, I’ll get your wav file for you. Let me know if you still need help!
by jonathanswarner on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 pm
I, too, have had this issue: totally my own human error in that I forgot to stop/save the recording.

I have gone through the steps outlined previously to recover the audio files, and it appears to have worked; I am now at the step of trying to import (raw data) into audacity. The settings are a bit confusing, and my (random) tries to get it to import have had results, but not good ones, yet. Some things seem to effect the playback speed, etc., but I have not been able to get anything that wasn't primarily white noise with my audio barely discernable in the background. Anyone know the settings to use for the import?

Opening a known good file, it appears I should use 32-bit float encoding, 1 channel (mono), 48000 Hz. I am not sure about the Byte order or start offset...

Thank you!

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2