Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
If I equip my RML32 with a Dante card, and connect to Studio 1 via Dante VSC, will I still have control over the preamps and FAT channel synchronization, like I do when connected via FW?
by matthewseymour on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:54 am
Dante audio streams and network control of the mixer are separate, even though they come across the same physical connection. I don't use Studio1, so first check whether you have network control of the RM from Studio1. If not, then probably not... If so, then yes it should work just fine.
by Sing4LTS on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:11 pm
Duh...why didn't I think of that. LOL
by matthewseymour on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:06 am
Ha... It isn't obvious at first. The lack of preamp control built into Dante (or some other generally used protocol) is really annoying as it prevents the interoperability that could be possible.

The RM has a network interface that it uses for mixer control, which is completely separate from the card on the back. The cards have a built in network switch that makes this interface available on the same physical socket. When I plug my RM with dante card into a managed network switch I see the two MAC addresses, one is for Dante, the other is for the mixer.

It bit me once because I hadn't realised that giving the mixer a static IP doesn't give the dante card the same address - they're separate. Spent a good 20 minutes scratching my head for that one once.
by Karyn on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:52 pm
matthewseymour wroteHa... It isn't obvious at first. The lack of preamp control built into Dante (or some other generally used protocol) is really annoying as it prevents the interoperability that could be possible.

That's a little unfair. Dante (like the other generally used protocols) is digital audio over network and that is all it is intended to be. The fact that it works on standard networking equipment (AVB won't) and doesn't care if there is other totally unrelated network traffic (Ethersound won't allow it) is the bonus that means manufactures can ALSO use the network for things like head amp control. Interoperability is simply down to the various manufactures agreeing on a common data packet to control their amps.

The RM has a network interface that it uses for mixer control, which is completely separate from the card on the back. The cards have a built in network switch that makes this interface available on the same physical socket. When I plug my RM with dante card into a managed network switch I see the two MAC addresses, one is for Dante, the other is for the mixer.

It bit me once because I hadn't realised that giving the mixer a static IP doesn't give the dante card the same address - they're separate. Spent a good 20 minutes scratching my head for that one once.

Technically correct, however Dante uses device names to manage routing and totally ignores IP or Mac addresses. Obviously IP addressing is important for network operation, but has no impact on Dante operation at all.
Using Bonjour, where each device has a unique name, means that any combination of devices can be connected in any configuration on any network and will always find each other with the same routing they had the last time they were used.

Personally I assign fixed IP to everything (Sennheiser wireless units require it as the iPhone apps don't search) except for Dante which I allow to grab any free DHCP address available.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by matthewseymour on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:20 am
Except... you don't assign a static IP address to the dante card in your RM, because you can't.... That's what bit me.

But yes, you're right that Dante does what it does extremely well. There's a thing missing that to allow interoperability I'd love to see, and Dante doesn't claim to offer it.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1