5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Notion is light years ahead of the competition for composing on an iPad. The power and control is simply astounding!

That being said, can we have the ability to write with more than two layers per staff? Please, please, please? Those of us writing for guitar would be extremely grateful! Three layers would be sufficent, four would be heaven!

Cheers!
by brianmarquis on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:18 pm
YES! And, finer control of stem/slur directions and beaming. Imagine trying to render something like this in Notion on the iPad:

image.jpg
SorOp9 excerpt

I just bought the full Notion for iPad a few days ago. I really want to like this app; but, I'm running into these kinds of frustrations. I still can't figure out how to access more than two voices — and this feature is a MUST for classical guitar.
by mikerosen on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:17 am
Brian,

Welcome to the forum.

Not to argue about your wants and needs, but, keep in mind that this is a $10 program. That clip you show would be a bit of a chore in Finale, at 60 times the price! (Although it could certainly be done.)

I would be very surprised to see an iPad app with those features and degree of control.

Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA

IPad Pro with Apple pencil, always the latest iOS
Just a dabbler with Notion. Much more familiar with Finale!
by mikerosen on Tue May 19, 2015 12:44 pm
UPDATE!

I just learned something, that may be of use to you guitarists. You can have 4 voices!

Select a measure and copy it. Select another measure, and from the menu bar, choose More..., and then, choose Paste Special. You have the option to paste into Voice 1, 2, 3, or 4!

So, if you start with 4 staves and enter your lines individually, you may be able to combine them into a single guitar staff.

It's not a perfect solution, but it might help.

Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA

IPad Pro with Apple pencil, always the latest iOS
Just a dabbler with Notion. Much more familiar with Finale!
by stevensmart on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:33 am
Notion for desktop has four voices. With the ability to synchronize scores via iCloud it makes it easy to write the score in Notion for desktop and then open it on your iPad.

I haven't tried the Music XML route yet (MuseScore is a full featured music engraving (sheet music print ready) program, whereas Notion is more of a composition type program).

5 posts
Page 1 of 1