6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi
I Sonarite crossover here. I've been reading manuals and watching videos trying to get up to speed on the differences in Sonar and SO3. Before I pose my question, I want to high five the community here for the vast number of helpful videos.

On to SO3. I stumble across some things that just befuddle me. One that comes to mind is the VCA fader. Is it any different than a group? If so, how? I see a few distinct differences from a bus.

Thanks.

BTW - if there is a secret decoder ring, or a website of a SO3 dictionary, I would sincerely appreciate any direction as to their locations. It took me a while to realize that I wanted to Render when I was done with a Melodyne edit. And (at work now so I might miss this) the render button was hidden in the inspector.

So far, I think SO3 is great. It is not fair for me to compare to Sonar as I used that DAW so long that I almost never had to look up how to do things. I know I am still on the learning curve side of SO3.

Thanks in advance for any help.

win 10, ADK 3.6GHZ 6 core/12 thread, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD System Drive, 3 3TB storage Drives, UA Apollo Quad interface, UA Octo and Quad PCI cards, Dangerous Music D-Box, UA 4-710 pres, LA 610 channel strip, Console 1, about 45 guitars 12 amps and a handful of cool vintage synths. Need talent to go with collection! Recently purchased SO3 whatever the latest and Pro versions are. Ex Sonar user since late 80s. Thanks Gibson.
by matthewgorman on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:46 am
VCA vs Grouping. Grouping used to be used to keep fader relationships intact, but having the ability to adjust overall volume. Not all parameters follow grouping laws however. Grouping at this point would be beneficial in editing (drums) multiple tracks.

VCA faders really only address volume changes, maintaining relative fader levels within the VCA group, but you lose routing and effects capabilities when using a VCA over bussing.

No, no secret decoder ring. Best thing to do is ask questions here. We are here to help.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by jpettit on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:47 am
bomckenzie wroteHi
I Sonarite crossover here. I've been reading manuals and watching videos trying to get up to speed on the differences in Sonar and SO3. Before I pose my question, I want to high five the community here for the vast number of helpful videos.

On to SO3. I stumble across some things that just befuddle me. One that comes to mind is the VCA fader. Is it any different than a group? If so, how? I see a few distinct differences from a bus.

Thanks.

BTW - if there is a secret decoder ring, or a website of a SO3 dictionary, I would sincerely appreciate any direction as to their locations. It took me a while to realize that I wanted to Render when I was done with a Melodyne edit. And (at work now so I might miss this) the render button was hidden in the inspector.

So far, I think SO3 is great. It is not fair for me to compare to Sonar as I used that DAW so long that I almost never had to look up how to do things. I know I am still on the learning curve side of SO3.

Thanks in advance for any help.

VCA Voltage Control Amp is a mixer term for a remote control for faders. You are controlling all fader in their relative position to the gain of the VCA. It is a control mechanism and no audio passes through it. It has advantages over buses that can be Googled.
Very nice for gain stage groups ort the entire mix.

I started a decoder ring in the Welcome post sticky. viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27570

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by j0001s on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:00 pm
I shared your confusion. I "got" it, but I initially didn't really see what the benefits were.

The group fader is summing all the faders going into it.

The VCA isn't summing anything. It's moving all the source faders when you move the VCA fader.

Biggest benefit - you can change the levels of parts of your mix without wrecking the relative balance. To explain:

When you change the level of a group fader, it only affects the summed level of the channels going into it. The channel sends are not affected. If you have reverb on all the source channels, and turn down the group fader all the way, you'll still hear the reverb (assuming the reverb isn't also going into the group). With a VCA, since you're turning down the source channels, the signal into the sends will be reduced, and your reverb will stay in proportion.

Some other reasons:

The source channels can have entirely different signal paths, and you can still control them. Imagine you had 5 vocal tracks, but you were running direct channel outs for each track into an SSL. You can still ride the related channels with the VCA fader, but have them come up on their individual channels on the board.

VCA automation can be merged with the automation of the individual channels under control. If you have all your main levels on your VCAs, when you've got your mix how you like it, merge the automation. This will put all your VCAs back at 0 db. Then, if you decide you want to bring up a part by 1 db, you're moving from the 0 reference. rather than -21.2 db...

There's other applications, but hopefully this will get you on the right track.
by Steve Carter on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:17 am
Hi and Happy New Year....

I use VCA's to control my group/ed buses and I was following until the 'merge the automation' paragraph - what do you mean by that and how would you do it?

Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by j0001s on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:03 pm
The first image shows 3 tracks - Drums, Parallel Comp, and a VCA that is controlling the two. I've added some rather arbitrary automation. On the Drums and Parallel Comp track, you can see the main automation in blue, and the VCA track shows its automation in red. In light grey on the Drums and Parallel Comp track, you can see the resultant automation as it is modified by the VCA automation.

Automation before merge.jpg
Automation before merge

The second image shows the right click on the VCA track, with the Merge VCA automation command highlighted.
Merge right click.jpg
Merge right click

The third image shows the result after the command. The VCA line is back at 0 db, and the blue line is where the light grey line was on the Drums and Parallel Comp track.

After VCA merge.jpg
After merge

Hope that makes more sense.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1