10 posts
Page 1 of 1
All,

I've been trying a few things to get as much dynamic range in the recording as possible (just drums), I have the audiobox vsl, I MacBook pro from 2015 and studio one 2. When I look at the console view and click edit to highlight one track, I notice that it is limited to -9 db's, and no matter what I do, I can't get the high passages of my takes to record at higher than -9 db's..

hope that makes sense. I don't really like to add effects, compression etc., I play mostly jazz and my preference is to record all the nuances and overtones as well as the room imperfections. In order for that to show correctly I don't want to flatten the high volume sections of the playback.

Thanks

JM
by chris_b on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 pm
fender2017 wroteI don't want to flatten the high volume sections of the playback.

If you normalize an audio event after it's recorded it's not going to alter the overall dynamics of the recording in any way - so it's fine to do that.

As for being limited to -9dB - are you saying the AudioBox doesn't clip even with the input knobs turned all the way up? If so, what are you recording with?
by matthewgorman on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:09 am
Are you using the VSL software with Fat Channel? Make sure the limiter is turned off.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by fender2017 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:41 pm
thank you for your responses.

yes it clips when the input volume is high

if I turn the volume way up on the interface mic inputs or if i keep it low, it will still limit at -9db. What i would like to do is to set studio one to have a limiter at 0 db's... so i have a ittle more room to hit the toms and the crashes harder. Right now, i have to keep the input volume super low, very hard to hear playback
by fender2017 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:42 pm
what is fat channel?

thank you
by jpettit on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:09 pm
A gate, compressor, EQ and limiter built in to most Presonus equipment.

Start by giving us you specs and you using an 1818 VSL?
On what OS?

Are you turning it up till it distorts then backing off as a test?

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by fender2017 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 am
specs are:

presonus 44vsl
rode M5 overheads
Shure bera 52a kick
at 170 ribbon in front of drums
Apple mac book pro 2015-2016
os X El Capitan

thanks
by johnbedggood on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:51 am
Hi JM,

It is a little difficult to assist you without a little more information.

1/ How are you determining that the audio is recording at max -9dB?
2/ When you say -9dB do you mean -9 dBFS?
3/ Is this RMS or Peak?

Also, as an aside: -9dB is pretty loud. (I aim for -20dBFS RMS) If your goal is to have dynamic range then that still leaves you with an excess of approx. 80 dB of dynamic range. (Assuming that you are recording at 24bit)

I also suggest that you put your specs in your forum signature which helps others to help you.

Win 7 64-bit, 4 Core i7: 16Gb DDR3 ram, Dual 20" LCD monitors
Audiobox 1818VSL, DigiMax D8, Central Station Plus, Faderport, Sceptre S8, Avantone Pro Mixcubes, Eureka Preamp (5 of),
Studio One Pro 3.5.4, Notion 6, PreSonus Symphonic Orchestra, Superior Drummer 2, CTC-1, Channel Strip Collection, Melodyne Studio 4.1, Waves Plugins
by SwitchBack on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:14 pm
Without completely squashing the signal it’s very unlikely to reach higher rms levels with drums alone. Well, maybe you can by only playing your metals.
For high rms levels you need some sort of ring/sustain filling all the gaps. Most percussion is, signal-analytically speaking, to a large extent noise. Noise has a high crest factor which means a sizeable gap (in dB) between rms level and peak level. It's a property of this type of signal which can't be changed without clipping the signal.
by DominicB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm
fender2017 wroteAll,

I've been trying a few things to get as much dynamic range in the recording as possible (just drums), I have the audiobox vsl, I MacBook pro from 2015 and studio one 2. When I look at the console view and click edit to highlight one track, I notice that it is limited to -9 db's, and no matter what I do, I can't get the high passages of my takes to record at higher than -9 db's..

hope that makes sense. I don't really like to add effects, compression etc., I play mostly jazz and my preference is to record all the nuances and overtones as well as the room imperfections. In order for that to show correctly I don't want to flatten the high volume sections of the playback.

Thanks

JM

Hi JM, this sounds like an older issue we saw. Because of the nature of the VSL product line, it has a direct connection with Mac Core Audio on a kernel level. That's engineer speak for, they go together hand in hand.
Try the following:
1. Open up "Audio Midi Setup" from your /Applications/Utilities/ folder on your Mac.
2. Make sure you're looking at the Audio settings. You should see a window that says "Audio Devices". If you don't, go to the menu bar, click "Window" and choose "Show Audio Devices."
3. Select "Audiobox VSL" in the list of devices.
4. Make sure "Input" is selected on the right side of this window that should be showing settings for the Audiobox VSL.
5. You will now see a number of horizontal sliders. Each slider will affect the level of input going from the Audiobox VSL inputs to Studio One. Make sure each slider is at max value, which should be the absolute right position.

This may be your issue. The VSL products were our only products that had this "feature"/"quality" because of it's low latency integration with the Mac OS kernel. Something Apple has since, limited for us in recent operating system updates.

I hope that helps everyone if you have this issue.

P.S. I wrote this from memory as I couldn't find our previous documentation on it so if something's off, blame my memory.

Product Manager
Presonus Audio

Mac Pro 1,2 | 8 Core Xeon | 16GB Ram | OSX 10.9
MacBook Pro i7 16
HP Laptop i7 12GB Ram Win 8.1
Interfaces: Presonus,
Controllers: AKAI LPK25, Arturia Minilab, Maschine Mikro mkII, Nektar P49, Keystation Pro 88, Korg Microkey

10 posts
Page 1 of 1