Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello!
First of all, sorry if the answers to this question are already available on the forum. I can't find them.
Recently I completely reinstalled my Notion 6 due to some problems with the software. Perhaps it's all about my OS. I don't know.
The program requested activation and I entered the same activation key, the same email and installed the program on the same computer with the same Windows 7 (SP1 x64).
The activation counter currently shows 2 activations.
Is it possible to reset the activation meter? This situation annoys me a bit...and how should I correctly reinstall the program to avoid this issue?

Studio One 3.5.6 Professional
Windows 7 64-bit, 32 GB RAM, i7-5820K, nVidia GTX970
Audio Interface: M-audio ProFire 2626
Devices: PreSonus FaderPort, TubePre v2
Studio monitors: Mackie MR8 mk2
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 600, Fostex T50RP
Keyboard: StudioLogic NumaNano, NI Maschine Jam
Guitars: Jackson Kelly KE-3, B.C. Rich Stealth Marc Rizzo 7 String
Mic: Shure SM7B

https://soundcloud.com/maksikomaro
https://www.facebook.com/MaksiKomaro
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 pm
I do not work for PreSonus, so this is based on the combination of (a) what I know; (b) what I have observed; and (c) what I can infer . . . :)

(1) Your license for NOTION 6 comes with five (5) activations, so if you have used two of them, then you have three remaining . . .

(2) The general licensing concept is that activations are for computers . . .

(3) At various times over the past seven few years, folks have posted messages regarding exceeding the number of allowed activations in scenarios where hard drives crashed or they retired their computer and replaced it with a new computer; and as best as I can determine, when they called PreSonus technical support and explained what happened, their activation count was reset by the PreSonus folks (although in 2010 it was Notion Music rather than PreSonus) . . .

THOUGHTS

If this is something for which you need an official response, then the best strategy is to contact PreSonus; since they are the authority . . .

Consider a different scenario where you want to install NOTION 6 onto three different desktop computers and three laptop computers, in which case this requires six activations and I think you would need to purchase an additional license . . .

Some software licenses allow installing on a virtual festival of computers, so long as you use only one at a time . . .

Consider Reason (Propellerhead Software) and the iLok licensing system, which is what I use here in the sound isolation studio for my licensed version of Reason . . .

If I want to use Reason on a different computer, then I just need to take the iLok USB dongle and plug it into a USB port of whatever computer I want to use; but first I need to install Reason on the other computer, of course, since the iLOK USB dongle only has the license, not the actual application and so forth . . .

This is one way to manage a software license, and it has advantages; but it also requires buying an iLOK USB dongle and running iLOK licensing software . . .

I checked the activation count for my NOTION 6 license, and I have used four (4) activations . . .

I have used the same 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (Early 2008) since sometime in 2009, but as part of my backup and archiving plan, I clone the primary hard drive every so often and then use the clone as the primary hard drive, which allows me to remove the original hard drive and keep it as a backup; and I do this with a rotating set of hard drives . . .

Sometimes, when I do the "clone and replace", it requires a new activation of NOTION; and it always requires verifying the iLOK license for Reason. It also requires inputting the license keycode for Digital Performer (MOTU); and since I give each cloned primary drive a new name, I have to let Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments) know where sampled sound libraries and instruments are located, which also happens with SampleTank (IK Multimedia), all of which takes perhaps 15 minutes . . .

[NOTE: I use SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket) to clone the primary hard drive, and it takes about five hours, since the primary hard drive has about 2TB of software and data . . . ]

I started with NOTION 3 in 2010; and so far with each major version upgrade, which I purchase at the upgrade price, I get five (5) new activations; so I have never used all five activations for any version of NOTION . . .

Consequently, my advice is that if having used two activations is not an actual problem, then don't worry about it . . .

You might contact PreSonus technical support, if you need some reassurance that it won't become a problem . . .

The PreSonus folks are helpful, and they all use computers and understand that hard drives occasionally need to be replaced and that operating systems (Mac OS X and Windows) have new versions, and so forth . . .

You have used two activations, but I have used four activations; so mathematically, I should be twice as worried as you are; but I'm not worried at all . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by maksimkomarov on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:43 am
Thanks for your response!
I sent a message to the Support Team about it, but:
On my PreSonus account page I can simply remove the StudioOne 3 license via "Manage activations" link. Is it impossible to do this for Notion 6? I think it's a little bit strange ....and uncomfortable.
Every time my activation counter reaches 5, I need to bother the PreSonus Support Team...Maybe this is a rare case, but it happens.

Yea, this isn't a big problem, but I like the order in work.

Of course, these are PreSonus rules.
Sorry for my English. I hope You can understand what I wrote.

Studio One 3.5.6 Professional
Windows 7 64-bit, 32 GB RAM, i7-5820K, nVidia GTX970
Audio Interface: M-audio ProFire 2626
Devices: PreSonus FaderPort, TubePre v2
Studio monitors: Mackie MR8 mk2
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 600, Fostex T50RP
Keyboard: StudioLogic NumaNano, NI Maschine Jam
Guitars: Jackson Kelly KE-3, B.C. Rich Stealth Marc Rizzo 7 String
Mic: Shure SM7B

https://soundcloud.com/maksikomaro
https://www.facebook.com/MaksiKomaro

3 posts