30 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
...and by "Bad Edits", I mean tracks that have been rendered and sent to you without proper crossfading, resulting in loud "pop"s and "click"s.
In Pro Tools, it's just a matter of pulling up the pencil tool and drawing them out - literally a 5-second process. And when that fails, I use Izotope RX to do the job.
But neither of those are an option in S1, and I need a solution going forward because I have to deal with these ALL the time.

Any help appreciated!

system specs: Studio One 5.1.0, Windows 10 64bit, Intel I7 8700K
by Bbd on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by mikemanthei on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:09 pm
I don't think the OP is asking how to open the editor. I think he's opening it up just fine and finding it lacking.

I have the same irritation. I miss not having a pencil tool in Studio One... or the ability to zoom in to see and edit individual samples. The so-called editor is no more capable than just editing right in the lanes. ( So what's the point of it? ) I haven't figured out a use for it so I quit double clicking on audio events.

I've resorted to opening the individual audio tracks in Sound Forge before I import them into Studio One. I know that's a kludgy work around, but if I know my incoming audio is going to be nasty I just make that part of my workflow.

I'd like to see the editor either become something usable or allow us to link to an external editor.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by Steve Carter on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:45 pm
Why is Izotope RX not an option in S1?
What version of S1 and what computer spec's are you using?
Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by wonder6oy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 pm
mikemanthei wroteI don't think the OP is asking how to open the editor. I think he's opening it up just fine and finding it lacking.

I have the same irritation. I miss not having a pencil tool in Studio One... or the ability to zoom in to see and edit individual samples. The so-called editor is no more capable than just editing right in the lanes. ( So what's the point of it? ) I haven't figured out a use for it so I quit double clicking on audio events.

I've resorted to opening the individual audio tracks in Sound Forge before I import them into Studio One. I know that's a kludgy work around, but if I know my incoming audio is going to be nasty I just make that part of my workflow.

I'd like to see the editor either become something usable or allow us to link to an external editor.

Yeah - this is more where I'm coming from. But I was really hoping someone had found some kind of simple method of dealing with this by now. I really don't want to be bouncing a session back and forth between DAWs.

Steve Carter wroteWhy is Izotope RX not an option in S1?
What version of S1 and what computer spec's are you using?
Regards....

Unless there is some other method besides the two I've managed to find so far, RX is barely usable in it's current form in S1. If I attempted to do the 20-30 edits I had to in one of my more recent sessions using RX in S1, I'd be at it for hours. UNLESS you know of a fast, efficient way of using it in S1?

by Skaperverket on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:48 am
I deal with this a lot and I use an external audio editor. I try to do as much as possible before importing the tracks into S1. If I missed something the first time, I'll try with just short edits and fades. If that doesn't work I'll bounce a file and export it to an external editor. I wish the built-in audio editor was better and that the integration with external editors was better. I even find the new way of dealing with ReVoice Pro to be cumbersome. Wish I had a better answer for you. Hoping for better solutions.
by Lokeyfly on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:48 am
Hi Wonder6oy,
Its great you described "bad edits", but to be fair, that's a lot of varied stuff. Even when defining those clicks and pops over different material (voice, stringed or complex waveforms, simple pure tone waveforms, like a square wave, or sine wave), and the density of those clicks. Pops either get removed, or reside in bad company. Or there's a gang of them outside your door, and not looking very friendly. Simple backgrounds produce better click removal. Complex or overall mix backgrounds, not so. They are either masked, or something vital is compromised. But there are at times alternative fixes (read on).

I know the answer stems from "you know, remove those hideous clicks". But the reality is that's quite a complex thing at times to remedy. Some development companies, define their products to go after different audio processing things. Izotope has some fantastic such products, and quite diverse too. From mastering, channel strips, and post production repair software, they make some largely quality software. Their strengths and diversity are a strategy to make their products hopefully better than the competition, and at different costs. RX (like a lot of Izotope products) can range from several hundred to one thousand dollars USD (aside from the free-bee "elements" versions). That development is something quite specialized, aside from your basic fix in audio editor software, which has marginal repair with clicks and pops as well.

The $300 "Standard" RX does remove some pops, from either global, or defined regions, but it's not a fix all. None are fix all's, for pops & clicks. Not Pro Tools either which draw tool works only in silent regions really pretty well. Though big deal. That bad audio can be cut out or re cross faded, in a number of ways.

Basically no DAW development can keep up with every breakthrough out there. Studio One does a great job with the principal parts of DAW audio fixes and its workflow. For cross fade pops that might occur, simply re define the cross-fade by slightly moving the grip, at one side of adjasent events by only a few samples, or milliseconds. Most pops will disappear. S1 has one of the best default autofixes of zero Point X fades of any DAW I've tried, and that's most. Select the two events with the cross fade problem, and select Control + "x" and vary the grips, a smidge is all, and it removes x fade pops quite well.

As to other click pop anomalies, like Lawrence pointed out, use Melodyne (preferably "editor" at a minimum for polyphonic note adjustment). Melodyne is a beast. Look for the offending pops and clicks, though those clicks might be a part of a note (or similar frequency "blob" , with no way to remove it without the piece suffering. In that case, I usually look for another note of similar scale, attack, and length, and copy and replace the bad one. The limit to success is often not using the wso called fix all plugin, but your "Mr. Fixit" imagination. Bbd's link is very helpful too!

A draw tool is not all that diverse a fix. Could Studio One users benefit from it. Sure. But what it can fix, there's largely at this time anyway a pretty easy alternative, and often better fix, as mentioned. I'd like to draw my expense account clicks, and pops away.

There's also the option, since you brought it up about receiving rendered audio (from whomever) that a flag goes up, and you say, "Clean your tracks (if possible). Though we may at times have wanted to say "I'm not the garbage man."

Good luck.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Lawrence on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:33 am
It's just editing really and a lot of it, speeding it up a little, is just knowing your tools and taking advantage of what's there. Try a macro like this...

- Create Range From Cursor
- Zoom to Selection
- Deselect All

What that does is create a tiny range where the cursor is and then zooms to it. How far that zooms in for a tiny edit like a click or pop depends on the ruler and grid and snap settings. This gets you a really close and fast zoom into a small edit area for a pop or click edit after putting the play cursor on it. Split, fade (could likely also automate that part with a macro), done. Undo zoom.

Editing can sometimes be a little tedious and time consuming. We have to get past the idea that there's always a plugin or tool or trick to not have to do any work. Macros can help a lot, speeding some of that up.

P.S. Honestly, if there's a relative ton of pops and clicks and flaws all over a recording I'd usually send it back to the artist to re-record it, and not choose to do turd polishing for hours. If it's the more typical occasional pop, click, lip smack, mic bump, etc, etc, I just dig in and edit them out so it's never a big deal to me.

Like someone said, if it's in a really bad place where you can't just split and fade to get rid of it without audible artifacts, go to Melodyne or something else, or maybe just comp in a section from another take.
by Steve Carter on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:01 pm
Quote - "Unless there is some other method besides the two I've managed to find so far, RX is barely usable in it's current form in S1. If I attempted to do the 20-30 edits I had to in one of my more recent sessions using RX in S1, I'd be at it for hours. UNLESS you know of a fast, efficient way of using it in S1?"

Is this because of your computer spec's or your work method - you still haven't mentioned what computer system you are using. I'm asking because the Izotope RX is on my wishlist but if it is 'barely useable' it would probably have flagged in previous forum topics - perhaps I've missed it! What version of RX are you using?

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
by wonder6oy on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:02 pm
Steve Carter wroteQuote - "Unless there is some other method besides the two I've managed to find so far, RX is barely usable in it's current form in S1. If I attempted to do the 20-30 edits I had to in one of my more recent sessions using RX in S1, I'd be at it for hours. UNLESS you know of a fast, efficient way of using it in S1?"

Is this because of your computer spec's or your work method - you still haven't mentioned what computer system you are using. I'm asking because the Izotope RX is on my wishlist but if it is 'barely useable' it would probably have flagged in previous forum topics - perhaps I've missed it! What version of RX are you using?

Regards...

My computer is plenty fast enough (Windows i7 etc). I'm using RX6. It's the method, or proper lack thereof that concerns me. What method would you recommend that's fast?

by Steve Carter on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:20 am
Sorry - you're asking the wrong person, as per my post I don't have RX - it's on my wish list! I'm merely suggesting that putting more details/specifics of the problem and your OS/PC might help others to help you and help me understand the 'unusable' aspect of RX that you purport.

Regards....

by Skaperverket on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 am
Hi again, wonder6oy. Have you seen this video?

phpBB [video]

They've also got an older one:

phpBB [video]

None of them are anywhere near perfect in my humble opinion, but perhaps they can be of help.

As I wrote in a previous post, I tend to fix things before importing into S1. If I need to fix more later I'll use the method similar to one in the first video.

I've created a macro called "Bounce to Finder" with

Bounce Selection [Snap ("0")]
Select in Pool
Show in Explorer/Finder

but for some reason S1 won't focus on the Browser window and the Pool when "Select in Pool" is applied and the Pool is opened, so I have to do the Show in Finder command separately.

By the way, Lawrence, have you got any idea how to make that last part of the macro work?
by Lawrence on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:43 am
Nope. Maybe just duplicate the clip on the file system, open it in RX or whatever else, edit it, save it, and drag with mod to replace the other clip on the timeline. Studio One doesn't yet allow directly using external editors so just do the work.

In a 1-2 hour session for editing, mixing, whatever, maybe don't stress over something you only have to do once or twice taking an extra 45 seconds. That's "daw war nonsense" imo. If you regularly need to use RX or something 20 times on twenty different clips to clean stuff up, seek out a better recording engineer. It's more the things you have to do 150 times in a hour that can add up time wise, not so much those occasional things.

Nothing wrong with seeking shortcuts but at the end of the day editing is work. Just do the work and put it behind you. When maybe in the future Studio One allows directly using external editors, it will go a little faster.
by Skaperverket on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 am
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at right now. Thanks.
by wonder6oy on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:45 pm
I appreciate everyone's responses.
It's clear however that since I last checked years ago, the problem remains "un-addressed".
Skaperverket wroteI deal with this a lot and I use an external audio editor. I try to do as much as possible before importing the tracks into S1. ... Wish I had a better answer for you. Hoping for better solutions.

This is likely to be the scenario I will have to embrace for the time being; Pro Tools for audio cleanup, time-alignment and mix prep, and S1 for pitch correction, mixing and mastering.
Gonna be a challenge keeping that from getting messy.

by Lawrence on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:59 pm
I need a solution going forward

The RX part aside, that's the only solution, split and fade or similar. Anything else in the regard is a feature request for version 4 or beyond to add sample level editing.

That's one of the more obvious expected results when moving from a version 10+ product to a version 3 product, that you may have to learn or create new approaches to some things or just use multiple tools (edit those files in PT) if you can't find a comfortable or speedy enough workflow doing a particular thing.

But yeah, that is the only native edit solution for manually editing pop and clicks, other than maybe doing it in Melodyne, splitting and editing like Vegas, Reaper, and the other workstations that don't allow sample level drawing. The only question is if it's too slow for you to bother with. Only you can answer that question by using edit macros and trying it to see how efficient it can be for you or not.

I think sample level drawing is a current feature request. If so, vote it up on Answers.

Best of luck to you.
by wonder6oy on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:57 am
Lawrence wroteI think sample level drawing is a current feature request. If so, vote it up on Answers.

Can you point me to this? Having trouble finding it.

by Lawrence on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 am
I can't find it either so maybe there isn't one there yet. I do recall people asking for it before, maybe before that page went online.

Make a new one: Sample Editing / Drawing, and ask people to vote it up.

As a side note, I did create these fade actions which may help a bit... viewtopic.php?f=152&t=27569
by wonder6oy on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:39 pm
I went ahead and put it up for vote. Here's the link..

http://answers.presonus.com/22990/abili ... ile-zoomed

by garybowling on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 am
I don't understand why when I click to vote on one of these, then click the thumbs up, it says I need to log in to vote. But according to the page, in the upper right, I am logged in. Then if I click the log in and re-enter my details, I lose the vote page..

Arrgh, it's the little things that get frustrating!

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf

30 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2