FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
31 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Loving the FP8!! So I see a VI/Midi button?? Nothing in directions about Midi part of the button, maybe someday for CC automation!!? I hope? I set faders and leave em,,, and all (most) automation for me is using CC for volume, expression, vibrato etc...... Its a shame to have these nice faders, and have to stick with the little ones on my keys!!! Thanks ,,,, Mike PS How do I find the FP8 feature request forum?? Thanks again.......

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Diamond | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Inspire, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | Presonus Studio One | M-Audio Code 61 | FADERPORT 8 |
by muziksculp on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:09 pm
mikebaltz wroteLoving the FP8!! So I see a VI/Midi button?? Nothing in directions about Midi part of the button, maybe someday for CC automation!!? I hope? I set faders and leave em,,, and all (most) automation for me is using CC for volume, expression, vibrato etc...... Its a shame to have these nice faders, and have to stick with the little ones on my keys!!! Thanks ,,,, Mike PS How do I find the FP8 feature request forum?? Thanks again.......

Hi mikebaltz,

So, are you indicating that the Faderport 8 Faders can not be setup to transmit CC#s ?

If that's the case, It would be so useful if it did, maybe Presonus can offer this via a firmware update in the near future. (i.e. NI's Maschine Studio has a MIDI Controller Mode), something similar would be great to see implemented in FP8.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Studio One Pro 6.0.2 , FaderPort 8, ATOM. (Windows 10).

HW Synths, Virtual Instruments, Sample Libraries, HW & VST Effects, and Various Acoustic Instruments
by mikebaltz on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:54 am
Sorry its been a while,,,,,,,,,,, the best I can tell,, is that if you can touch a parameter with your mouse, you can set it to be controlled by the FP8. So if your VI doesn't have the cc in their gui as a knob or something you can access with the mouse, its not yet gonna happen?!! Like,, most of 'PLAY' E/W,, all the cc's are in the background except for the faders for close, mid, main, surround. Any expression etc. is not something you can click on. Even then, when there is a plug on a track, the VI that I had set something in, is no longer available because pressing on the Plug in button only shows you the plugs, not the VI anymore. So,,,,,, maybe someday, I hope soon!!!!
Mike

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Diamond | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Inspire, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | Presonus Studio One | M-Audio Code 61 | FADERPORT 8 |
by tapanisiirtola on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:31 am
I have always been wondering why daw controllers, including Faderport are ignoring midi CCs? Is it too hard to make a button "CC" that turns the faders into a midi controller? And that are editable by user? Midi protocol has been around as a standard since the 80s :roll:

I would buy the Faderport 8 this second if this was supported. I've been looking for Behringer's BCR2000 that might do the job. Too bad it is ugly and doesn't have the many other features that Faderport 8 has. Having two bulky units on my desk is also not very desirable.
by mikebaltz on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:56 pm
Yah,,,you would think that cc's would be one of the top 2 or 3 items on your 'creation list', if making a controller. I bought it with hearing that it was a 'possibly in the future' kind of thing?!! Not a great idea if its a must have item? But,,,,, glad I have it, its becoming a great tool, BUT,,,,,,,,,, would be nice to use it for the most used fader action I do!!

by joshrichman on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:20 pm
Wow this is a huge disappointment! This is the only reason I bought this device. I will tell everyone to avoid there products till they fix this feature defect. It absolutely has a Midi button on the controls and the expectation is to jot that and control/send midi CC. We need midi support ASAP with logic.

As a clear as I can be, the ONLY reason many of us bought the Faderport 8 was to control midi in logic.

We all have thousand of dollars spent in VSTs and high end samples with expression control, vibrato, vol, etc.... and we sick and tired of drawing in midi curves with a mouse.

Seriously these companies are out of touch with their consumers.

If the fixed this they could be the standard controller if every composer who uses a computer, but we will see.

The company really should respond and give us a date for midi implementation update or I recommend we sell off the devices.
by tapanisiirtola on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:39 am
Can you turn the fader motors off? Just wondering if the midi update is coming, I would personally like to edit the midi with motors turned off.

If Presonus can make this happen, I'm happy to join in Faderport family :)
by markdelorenzo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:50 am
tapanisiirtola wroteCan you turn the fader motors off? Just wondering if the midi update is coming, I would personally like to edit the midi with motors turned off.

If Presonus can make this happen, I'm happy to join in Faderport family :)

Can't you simply unplug it (DC connector)? And simply leave the USB connected?
The DC connector is only for the motor.

2018 MacBook Pro: i9, 32g RAM, 1tb SSD, MacOS 12.4 Monterey
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU M4
(LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
(SOFTWARE) Ableton Live Suite 11, Studio One 5
by Robdp on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 pm
Any update with Fader 8 being able to control midi CC?

Producer/writer
Mac Studio Ultra - OSX 11.2 - Studio One v5 - Apollo x8 - Dangerous Convert 2 / AD+ - SSL Fusion - Neve 8816 - LLD Silver Bullet - Dangerous Monitor ST - Faderport 1 - Console One - Amphions /BareFoots
by mikebaltz on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:33 am
+++++
(Any one from Presonus here? I would think that you guys have at least looked into it! Is there a yes, no, or maybe,,,,,?)

by scotthoward2 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:09 pm
Anyone? I just switched over to Studio One. Loving it with audio but they need to step up their midi game. Some of us actually do both and have massive investments in Kontakt, Superior Drummer and other vst's.

I am extremely interested in the Faderport 8 but mainly to control midi automation. Hello! This would seem to be a basic obvious thing since the early 80's. I hate using a mouse.

When will this be implemented so that we can buy more hardware from you? I really don't want to buy two 8 channel faders. This is simply confounding.
by mikebaltz on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:14 am
So it was Feb. 23rd when I first posted the thought!!?? Midi CC's controlled by a controller!!?? I stop by and check this forum now and then,,, and , I must say,,, I find it interesting that Presonus has their head in the sand. It must be a lot harder than you would think, or this forum is so far down the list,, that they have totally forgotten about it!!??? Still like my FP8, but it would be nice if someone could tell us whether or not we need to check out this thread anymore? (Its been SIX MONTHS) Thanks,,,, Mike

by karstenvogt on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:02 am
Wow, still no answer... Dear Presonus, I'd like midi cc, too!
by MarkgPresonus on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:02 am
HI, just adding my name to this and will post on the feature request page if it still exists. We should be able to transmit MIDI CC using the faders and have the option to disable motors too. I'm really surprised these features are not already in the box.

Options to:
1 switch to MIDI CC mode
2 enable/disable motors
3 assign CC number to the selected fader
4 save settings

simple :-)

Money here waiting to buy the Faderport 16 but it won't happen until these features are included. :(

M
by mikebaltz on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 am
So, another three months...... Still no response from PreSonus!!!???? Will the '16' have the CC capability? If not,,,, WHY BUILD IT!!!

Mike

by Skip Jones on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 am
The PreSonus developers and engineers do not visit HERE for feature requests so this would be the reason you are not seeing any kind of response from them. The place that the developers and engineers DO look at is the Answers site. That is the correct and most effective place to make feature requests. There, the community can vote up/down ideas. It is there that the developers look for input.

Your feature requests are welcome here >>> https://answers.presonus.com/

Regards

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by dmitristepaniuk on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 am
Hi, all
Record Video, use midi cc - FaderPort 8
:+1
https://youtu.be/mC0wSYBQQbY
by mikebaltz on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:03 am
So,,,, checked this out, works great! Few differences maybe in S1.4, like there is a knob icon at the bottom of each fader in the console that brings up the routing, and macro controls. I'm really surprised that no one to this point has done a video till now!? But,,,, great tool!!!

mikebaltz wroteSo,,,, checked this out, works great! Few differences maybe in S1.4, like there is a knob icon at the bottom of each fader in the console that brings up the routing, and macro controls. I'm really surprised that no one to this point has done a video till now!? But,,,, great tool!!!

Can you explain in a bit more detail how this feature helps to solve the MIDI CC mapping issue?

WIth the Faderport 8 I am currently able to map faders to a visual element of an instrument (as also explained in the YouTube video some posts up), but I am unable to map a fader to a MIDI CC of an instrument that does not have a visual element (slider, button, etc.).

For example, CineSamples Solo strings has a Cello with a vibrato on CC#2 (which you can not set to a different CC btw), and has no visual slider or knob for this articulation. How can I tell the Faderport 8 that fader 2 will control CC#2 for this instrument?

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
So I more or less figured out how to handle MIDI CC with the Faderport 8, in S1 4, but I guess it works the same for 3. I tried to document this as detailed as I could so everyone else can do the same and we can use our FP's to insert MIDI CC data.

For controlling visible (i.e. user interface) elements of a virtual instrument in Kontakt 5 (which is what I use, but these steps work with any sampler) the procedure it pretty easy. So please check the youtube video several post earlier, or for a more detailed explanation of the same process check Johnny Geib of HST at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ZuHWhoqik&t=2s.

For sending MIDI CC data that is not connected to any visual button, knob, etc. it can be a bit more tricky. These are the steps I followed to get it to work:

1) Make sure you have "Mouse-Over" enabled, at the bottom of your recently Recent Parameters list
Untitled 14.jpg

2) Add a new track (or use an existing, doesn't matter) with the instrument you want to use (I used a Kontakt 5 Instrument here), and switch to Automation view. In the drop down selection list in the track allows you to select which automation paramater you want to see. Select "Add / remove", and add the automation parameters you want to control.
Untitled 4.jpg

Note that you can select any parameter, but it has to come from the "Midi" category. Some defaults are already there (not sure where they come from.. S1? Instrument?), and if the one you want is already listed you can go ahead and add it to the list on the left. If not, simply check your instrument's manual which MIDI CC channel the parameter uses you want to manipulate, and select the appropriate "Control" parameter. I.e. MIDI CC#11 would be "Control 11" (NOT "Effect Control").

If you look around the parameters you will notice that outside of the Midi category there are similar entries like " #001", "#002".. etc. Not sure what these mean, but they do not control a Midi channel. I checked these steps for both the instrument provided MIDI entry (i.e. Vibrato, which maps to CC 21 in my case) or "Control 21". This behaved exactly the same. Using "#021" had no effect.

After adding your desired parameter(s) hit close. For this example I added Modulation and Expression.

3) Put the FP in "Edit Plugins" mode, by hitting the similar named button on the top-right side of the unit, next to the scribble strip displays.

4) Open the Instrument window by clicking the Icon the track.
Untitled 10.jpg
Untitled 10.jpg (11.24 KiB) Viewed 19493 times

5) Follow a similar approach to assign a fader to a visual element (see Youtube links above), but slightly different. With Mouse-Over from step 1) now enabled, just re-select the automation parameter you just added in the previous step in the track's dropdown menu. This will place it in the "Most recently Used" parameter box in the top left corner, on the left side.
Untitled 6.jpg

6) Touch a fader on the FP8. Note this fader will now appear in the same box, but on the right side. Notice the dark gray arrow between these two parameters (it becomes light gray when you hover the mouse over it). Click it.

If you did this right, you just assigned this automation parameter to a FP8 fader. You can double check this in the external devices window as such:
Untitled 8.jpg

7) You can stay in automation view, or leave it - it does not really matter. Record a MIDI event, and move the fader you used to connect to the selected automation parameter.

There you go! In this example I moved fader 1 & 2 for Modulation and Expression respectively:
Untitled 17.jpg

Make sure you leave the instrument (i..e Kontakt 5, Play, etc.) open, otherwise S1 will not capture the MIDI data, but this behavior is by design in S1.

Even your FP displays will show you which fader is assigned to which parameter:
IMG_0200.jpg

Interesting fact: after recording MIDI CC data in an event, you can open the event as usual in the editor and see the tabs appearing there as well. However, these are not really connected. So you can remove one, and the other remains (i.e. track automation parameter or MIDI event CC data).

I also noticed that when following these steps with the editor already open, the editor window is not updated correctly. Closing and reopening the window/panel updates the MIDI data inside the editor.

If anyone else has anything to add after experimenting please let me know if some of the above points can be further optimized.

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD

31 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2