7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

I am new in the music production scene, so please bear with me if I am asking something silly.

I've been creating songs on my own on Garageband for iPad and now I have decided to finally use a professional DAW hoping to achieve better results. I picked Studio One after careful research due to their more amicable settings, especially for people like me with no technical music background and basically self-taught.
Therefore, my question goes as follows:

Garageband has been a wonderful DAW in terms of helping me with their drummer sets that follows what I am playing. I was wondering if Studio One has a similar resource that in my opinion is extremely handy. I read on this forum about some plugins such as MT Power Drum kit 2 that I’ve already downloaded, but still I would like to know if Studio One has a similar tool or plugin as the one that I’ve just mentioned from Garageband.

I will be extremely happy if someone can help with a reply or give some advice of how to use a drums plugging effectively for achieving similar results.

Thank you so much in advance.

Desktop (PC)
Windows 10 (64 bits)
Intel Core Duo i5 7400 @ 3.00 GHz
Memory(RAM): 16 GB
HD: 931GB
Studio One Professional
Yamaha YPT 330
M-Audio keystation 61 MK3
Korg padKontrol
AudioBox 96
Presonus Eris E3.5
Shure SM7B
by Steve Carter on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:22 am
Hi Nicolas....

Firstly, thankyou for bringing 'Garageband Drummer' (GBDrummer) to my attention. I've taken a look at a couple of tutorials and it appears to be a very useful tool for adding drum tracks to a song.

From my initial/brief introduction to Drummer, it would appear that it is a loop based 'drum machine' in a DAW format presenting either in wave form or midi format with added bells and whistles. Studio One has nothing natively to compare that gives such versatility or immediacy of results.

I'm unsure as to the format of the GBDrummer as to whether or not the completed wave/midi patterns can be transferred to S1, if so you might want to create your drum patterns in Gband and then transfer/copy to S1 - probably less than ideal.

S1 does ship with drum loops etc but you will not get the versatility and ease of use to create drum tracks as you have with GBand. There are many software drum plugins available for S1 and you will need to do some investigation as to their various features.

In many respects the Garageband Drummer shares features with my drum plugin of choice namely Toontracks 'EZ Drummer', which will afford more in depth production features but at the expense of some of the 'drum machine' ease of use in GBDrummer. However, EZDrummer is not cheap, especially when you factor in expansion packs etc.

Also check out the new Toontracks Superior Drummer 3 due for imminent release (12th Sept I think), which will combine the ease of use functions of EZDrummer with the in-depth sounds and editing facilities of Superior Drummer 2 plus some additional tools that makes the new release to the Toontracks drummer family number one on my wish-list. No I'm not a Toontrack employee!

Good luck - let us know what route you decide upon.

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by nicolasfalcon on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 pm
Hi there Steve,
Thank you for your reply.

Glad to know that you took some time to check the drummer feature that I mentioned. For me it is quite useful considering that I can ask the drummer to follow and adapt the beats from his kit to the rhythm of my playing and pick a drummer with a genre that I am creating. It’s is like having a bandmate. :D

I’ve seen that Logic has a similar feature but with more options and versatilities and even the GB for Mac has more drummer options than the iPad version. Sadly, I don’t own a Mac and I can’t afford one, so I’ll have to figure something out.

I appreciate that you allowed me to get to know ToonTrack. I watched their promo video and seemed to me, easy to manipulate. At first glance, it reminded me of the drummer feature from GB just like you said.
I am still teaching me S1 under the Prime version and I've just realized that I can’t add plugins under this package, so that was a bit of a bummer.

I guess I will have to stick to Garageband as a sort of sketchbook and then try to copy the drummer beats with the loops I have on S1 Prime. I hope that (fingers crossed) I get to adapt to S1 and it can inspire me to move to the Artist version and use some plugins. After all I am investing some time teaching me how to use the software.

When that happens I'll get the ToonTrack demo that they offer to see how it goes.
On a side note, I am starting to freak out with all of these extra payments I wasn’t aware I’ll be bumping into. :shock: (its hard out here $$$)

Thanks again for answering and if you have any further suggestions/comments, I’ll be more than happy to hear. :)

Desktop (PC)
Windows 10 (64 bits)
Studio One Professional
Yamaha YPT 330
Korg padKontrol
AudioBox 96
Presonus Eris E3.5
Shure SM7B
by sirmonkey on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:54 pm
There is a free demo of Addictive Drums 2 that is NOT time-limited, has no nag screens, and has a lot to offer. It is very functional, and I'm very impressed that it's free. You can pick it up here: www.xlnaudio.com/demos * There's also a free version of Addictive Keys, which is also a super offering for free.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by nicolasfalcon on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 pm
sirmonkey wroteThere is a free demo of Addictive Drums 2 that is NOT time-limited, has no nag screens, and has a lot to offer. It is very functional, and I'm very impressed that it's free. You can pick it up here: http://www.xlnaudio.com/demos * There's also a free version of Addictive Keys, which is also a super offering for free.

Hie!
Will this work on the Studio One Prime? I can't add VTS on my program version sadly. :cry:

Desktop (PC)
Windows 10 (64 bits)
Studio One Professional
Yamaha YPT 330
Korg padKontrol
AudioBox 96
Presonus Eris E3.5
Shure SM7B
by sh11 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 pm
Hello nicolasfalcon,

It looks like you would need the Artist version and then buy an add on to allow VST's...

http://answers.presonus.com/14293/addin ... e-3-artist

I've looked into this myself as I use Superior Drummer.
by nicolasfalcon on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:15 pm
Thank you very much for your reply Sh11.
Guess I´ll try that out. I am liking S1 so I´ll stick to it!

Desktop (PC)
Windows 10 (64 bits)
Studio One Professional
Yamaha YPT 330
Korg padKontrol
AudioBox 96
Presonus Eris E3.5
Shure SM7B