Discuss the new Studio 192 and Studio 192 Mobile here
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
This has just started in the last couple of weeks, I am using an i7 2013 iMac with El Capitan 10.11.6, USB 3.0, 32Gb ram with the latest UC firmware and Studio One version.

Only a restart seems to cure it but for only 10 mins making it pretty much unusable. Can anyone offer any advice? I wonder if 10.11.6 has broken USB connectivity again as it seems to coincide with the update. If so, will using a USB 2.0 cable fix it?

Thanks
by kekuauemoto on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:04 am
I've also had this same if not similar problem. Having just updated from Yosemite I'm concerned. Running sessions it seems I can only get about 10-15 min before this static feedback starts again, and like you, only a restart of either Studio one or the Studio 192 cures this. I've just updated my UC surface to 1.8.1 and my studio 192 firmware. Still the static persists. Like you've suggested I'm going to try a usb 2 and see if this helps.
by saracarter1 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:14 am
Sadly, I tried a USB 2.0 cable and it didn't help. Switching sample rates back and forth instead of rebooting can be a temporary fix. Sometimes I can go for hours and then other days it can be just minutes, this is a tricky one to diagnose and from what i've read, it seems to be something to do with Apple and the way they apply the USB 3.0 protocol however, it doesn't happen for everyone and it's not limited to Presonus interfaces.
by saracarter1 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:25 am
For anyone searching for a solution to this problem, I sold my imac and bought a macbook pro and a thunderbolt display, now I don't have any problems with the audio. I think it had something to do with the fusion drive and/or chipset in the imac.

The compromise is of course, I've had to settle for lower ram and slower CPU but it's not slowed me down that much and I've gained dual screen
by brandonjones14 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:20 pm
We were seeing this on a 2016 15" MBP with Sierra 10.12, using Apple USB-C adapter to stock USB3 cable. It sounds like sample rate or some sync drifting, getting worse until it's super aliased-sounding. Changing the cable to a USB2 worked for us!

No problems on a 2013 15" running Sierra with USB3. Very strange.
by saracarter1 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:56 am
I tried the USB2 option but it didn't work for me unfortunately. Glad it sorted out your issues though!
by timscamporrino on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:14 pm
I have the same issue, but I'm using Windows on an AMD FX system with 32GB RAM. I have the latest 192 firmware and UC software.

I know this forum entry is related to Mac OS, but I thought you would like to know it's happening on Windows too. I'm still looking for a solution, but I don't think it is a OS or Mac/PC issue; I think it is an issue with the 192 interface.
by timscamporrino on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:57 pm
I found the resolution to my issue from reviewing forums on other USB interfaces. I had the 192 as my default sound device. When I was recording and playing back (as well as streaming), it seems when the OS in the background is sending sounds to the 192 that would cause the 192 to start the static issue.

By switching the default sound device to the built in sound card, those background OS events go to the sound card instead of the 192, even when I'm using the 192 in other software like Studio One or JRiver Media Center (Hi Res streaming).

It's been five days without getting static from what was a daily issue.
by Leightdogg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:28 pm
Hello Sir, can you explain your process with switching the os sounds to the internal soundcard in windows? I am having same issue...
Thx
Leight-

9 posts
Page 1 of 1