StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
This seems to be working backwards for me. What don't I understand? When I disable it, light off, I can get all my fat channel stuff working. When monitoring out of DP 9. Or when tracking. If the DigOut is enabled, I get no fat channel affect. I thought it was the other way round.
by SwitchBack on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:26 am
When Dig Out is set to 'Post EQ&Dyn' (button lit) then the send to the computer and the return from the computer are post FAT. So the computer will be recording the channel including the FAT processing, and the return from the computer goes straight to the fader (no FAT).

When Dig out is set to pre EQ&Dyn (button not lit) then both send and return are pre-EQ&Dynamics.
by Topo on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:39 am
Yeah, Switchback....that's what I thought, but, when I enable the button (light on), my FAT channel does not work. I'm playing back a track right now from DP. I've got the channel selected, and with the Post EQ&DYN enabled, none of the FAT channel is active. I can crank the compressor or gain and nothing. Soon as I disable the Dig Out (light off), everything works. I can crank the Gain, or EQ or compressor and it is all working. This seems the opposite of what it's supposed to be.

I think I just figured something out, but I don't understand it. The DigOut button works differently when my DAW is playing back tracks. For example; if I send my bass into a channel on the SL, all my FAT channel is working, regardless of the DigOut button. It can be off or on, and I still get all FAT channel parameter to work. However, when I play a recorded track back from my DAW, the FAT channel does not work on that incoming channel, Unless I disable the DigOut button (light off). For some reason, playback from the DAW into a track, causes the DigOut button to only activate FAT channel parameters when it's disabled.
by SwitchBack on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:31 pm
what you describe sounds like correct mixer behavior to me.

On the classic StudioLive mixers the Post EQ&Dyn and Digital Input (firewire) buttons together give 4 input routing options per channel:
1. off/off = mic/line to digital send, and mic/line to FAT to fader,
2. off/on = mic/line to digital send, and digital return to FAT to fader,
3. on/off = mic/line to FAT to digital send, and mic/line to FAT to fader,
4. on/on = mic/line to FAT to digital send, and digital return to fader,
with 'FAT' being the channel's EQ and dynamics section.

The idea is that when you're switching from recording to playback you can leave the Dig Out buttons as they were. The channels you recorded without FAT processing (Dig Out off) then get the FAT processing on playback and the channels you recorded with FAT processing (Dig Out on) don't get FAT processing once over on playback.
by Topo on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:26 pm
That makes sense. So..if I understand correctly; if I didn't use any FAT channel enhancements on tracking, I simply keep the DigOut button disabled (no light), and, in playback from my DAW, all parameters are now available. Basically, it's the opposite of tracking.

SwitchBack wroteThe idea is that when you're switching from recording to playback you can leave the Dig Out buttons as they were. The channels you recorded without FAT processing (Dig Out off) then get the FAT processing on playback and the channels you recorded with FAT processing (Dig Out on) don't get FAT processing once over on playback.
by SwitchBack on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm
Yes, that's it :)
by Topo on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 pm
Thanks for your help figuring this out. I don't know why I never noticed the way this works.

SwitchBack wroteYes, that's it :)

7 posts
Page 1 of 1