18 posts
Page 1 of 1
First time poster here. I've been using a Firestudio Project interface for more than a year now with my ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop. It took some work to get it running, and a couple of dongles to go from firewire to Thunderbolt 3, but it was doing fine.

I then bought a second FSP on eBay so I could add more inputs. But when I first connected it to the computer it wouldn't sync. The light glowed a steady red. I tried using Device Manager to get the computer to update to the right drivers, but that didn't work. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of UC and that didn't work either. My original unit would work fine, but not the new one. I even tried uninstalling the latest version of UC and then loading the version that came on the disk with my original FSP, which is how I got that one to work when I bought the new laptop.

I contacted tech support, but all they've really done is point me to the articles and procedures I'd already found on the Knowledge Base. Their last suggestion was to install a Firewire card, which really isn't practical in my laptop.

Now, after all of this, my laptop doesn't recognize my original FSP either. Instead of seeing it as an audio input it seems to be seeing it as a sound card. That's what was happening with the unit I purchased on eBay too.

Any suggestions on how I can get the proper drivers connected to the FSP so I can get the comforting blue light?

Really frustrated that it takes this much work in 2017 to connect a piece of hardware to a laptop. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
by Skip Jones on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:48 am
What version of Universal Control are you currently using with your setup? Just asking the obvious. Here is the driver page.Notice, the "latest"offering of UC is not the correct UC to use with FireStudio Project. ---> https://www.presonus.com/products/FireS ... /downloads

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by Ken Krause on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:27 am
I have tried both 1.7.4 and 1.7.5. Downloaded them from the page you liked to.
by Ken Krause on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:32 am
Also forgot to mention I am running Windows 10. As I mentioned it's a gamer computer so it has heavy-duty processors, video and sound cards.
by matthewgorman on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:50 am
Are you using onboard firewire in the pc, or through an expresscard? Any idea of what chip in the firewire card?

Also, you can try to go into the control panel on the pc, and change the driver for the firewire on the PC. In the Windows 7 days, we needed to change the firewire driver to Legacy. I cant remember if that is still needed on 10, but worth a try.

Look for your 1394 devices in windows control panel/device manager. Rt click, and get to the driver properties. You should see there that there is an option for the legacy driver (should be) and switch to that. restart the PC, and see if that gets you going.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Ken Krause on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:55 pm
I am not using either. This is a new (2016) laptop, and it doesn't have Firewire or an Express card slot. I am using a converter to take it from Firewire to Thunderbolt. I tried looking at the IEEE 1394 device in the Device Manager anyway but there were no options to switch to a legacy driver.

One other piece of information that may be helpful: When I tried to manually update the driver for the original FSP, I chose the option to let me select this time since the other way wasn't working. I selected drivers for audio input devices and found two for the Firestudio Project. No matter which one I selected it said that Windows could not complete the installation. I am wondering if having two drivers is creating a conflict? If so, how do I get rid of one? The older driver is Presonus Audio Electronics Firestudio Project Version 3.5.2.8028. The newer one is version 4.2.1. Or, since I just downloaded UC 1.7.5 (again) is having both of them there a problem and should something else be showing up there?

Again, please keep in mind until last night the original unit was working just fine. It was after I tried to get the second one working so I could add more inputs that the first one quit working too. Something changed in the software - the laptop and other hardware is the same as it was.
by matthewgorman on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:11 pm
Sounds like there is a conflict in the installation. I would do a complete uninstall, then install 1.7.4. Only other thing that may be causing it is the FW to TB adapter. That adapter is actually a FW device, and I think it should show up that way in device manager, but I may be wrong on that aspect.

May be a good idea to open a support ticket, and get your place in line there. You can always close the ticket if it gets resolved outside that.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Ken Krause on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:35 pm
Thanks, Matthew. I did open a support ticket. So far all they've been able to do is send links to the Knowledge Base.

I have done a complete uninstall (including the %appdata% thing for roaming files) and reinstall of 1.7.4 as well as 1.7.5 and it still hasn't helped. I'm thinking there must be a way to get rid of those drivers too.

I've had the FW to TB adapter for a year now and it has worked fine. It wasn't until I started doing the uninstalls and installs that I had the problem.
by matthewgorman on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:53 pm
There was a recent update to win 10 that jacked up driver signing. Try complete uninstall, and reinstall 1.75 and see if that helps

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Ken Krause on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm
I appreciate you hanging with me on this. I just tried that and it didn't work either. I keep getting the same error message when I try to update the drivers in Device Manager, that it was unable to configure the device at this time. Then it tells me to check with the manufacturer for a solution.

By the way, it keeps showing up under "Other Devices" in Device Manager. When it was working it would show up under Audio Input Devices. Also, it's showing up as PreSonus&Firestudio Project, or something close to that, whereas when it was working there was no ampersand. Don't know if that helps but it just seems like somehow UC isn't giving my computer the right data about the product.
by Ken Krause on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:48 pm
Problem code.PNG
Problem code.PNG (10.42 KiB) Viewed 22333 times

Here is the problem code for my installation. This was trying to roll it back to 1.7.2. This is why I think it's a driver problem of some sort. I checked on the 1394 controller and it said it was working properly.

I once again uninstalled it completely, and then tried 1.7.5.5 again. Still doesn't work. I tried to update the driver manually by choosing it from audio input device, where two drivers seem to be visible. But then I received an error message that said "the system cannot find the driver specified." So it seems it's look for something that isn't there. Or it's there and can't be found.

Then I received a message saying the device had been configured. But when I tried to update the drivers at that point, I got the message "Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them."
by matthewgorman on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:51 pm
At this point, since you have a ticket for support, I think its best to let them take over. PM me a ticket number if you have not resolved yet.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Skip Jones on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:03 pm
^^^

Skip

OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by Ken Krause on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 pm
Thanks, Skip. I was out of town last week, which is why I didn't respond.

I have good news - my two Firestudio Projects are now synced to my computer and daisy chained. I wanted to share how that came about just in case anyone else has the issue.

As I mentioned, I kept uninstalling and reinstalling UC, but there were driver conflicts. I looked all over Device Manager for a solution, and suspected that there were still improper drivers on the system somewhere, but didn't know how to confirm it or get rid of them if there were.

Then I received these instructions from Butch Richard at Presonus Tech support:

> Disconnect the FireStudio from your computer.

> Hit the Windows Key

> Now type “View advanced system settings” and press return

> Click Environment Variables button.

> Click the New button for the top section on this window.

> For "Variable Name:" type this exactly.

devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices

> For "Variable Value:" enter a single number " 1 ".

> Click OK and couple times and then open the Device Manger.

> Click the View menu and check "Show Hidden Devices".

> Right click and Uninstall any "FireStudio", "PreSonus", and or "Unknown Device" you see listed under any category.

> Restart your computer.

====================

> Install UC 1.7.5 again.

https://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.c ... _7_5_5.exe

Open UC.

Check Firmware and Factory Reset.

===========================
That did the trick. When I powered up my computer the "new" FSP synced right up. Then I checked my original one and it was fine too. From there I followed the normal procedure to daisy chain the two together (the part I thought would be the hard part) and both gave me that happy, steady blue light. I now have 16 inputs going into Studio One 3, and have already set up a basic template for them.

Thanks to Butch for all his help. Also thank you to Paul Clarke at PreSonus for getting me started on the journey. Can't wait to use my newfound capabilities.

Ken
by Skip Jones on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:07 pm
Glad the guys at PreSonus got you up and running!

:thumbup:

Skip

by Ken Krause on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 pm
Me too!
by janwillembennink on Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:36 pm
I have the same issue now with my new daw P.C.
i9 32gb TI FireWire.
it does not see my 16.0.2 studiolive Firewire.
I hope your solution works for me too.
If so, I will share it here.
by robirdman on Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:19 am
I bought a new Dell computer and it doesn't seem to have a way to install a Firewire card, so I was wondering about a firewire to USB convertor, as I want to go from my Win7 to Win 11 new computer. I copied these instructions, as I hope it might work for me, with 3 FPS, for which tech support said, this is End of line, no more tech support. Is Thunderbolt USB?

18 posts
Page 1 of 1