AudioBox 1818VSL, 44VSL and 22VSL
39 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "rolling back is not an option". If you mean using 1.3 instead of latest UC driver, 1.3 is not "rolling back" but is the last approved working version that included VSL console.It is working here for me on latest Win 10.

Did you do the full install first as recommended?

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by kondzio on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:08 am
I meant about Windows rolling back to previous release not the driver.
The issue is that i can't install 1.3 driver. I've just installed a fresh copy of windows (ver. 1703 build 15063.413 - it's Creators update) (I needed format c anyway) and after plugging in my audiobox 22vsl it clicks and pops (like it couldn't initialise). Then when I tried to install 1.3 driver i got an error. Tried that multiple times but failed. The only thing that works is Universal Control (but still the device clicks and pops when trying to play sound etc.), but i need that VSL console :)
I've also tried uninstalling UC (completely) with 3rd party uninstaller, but it didn't help and still cannot install 1.3 version :/
Sooner or later Microsoft will force us to get this Windows update, that's why i don't want to roll back to previous release
Any ideas?

error code and screen:

[EDIT]
After hours of struggle I managed somehow to install v 1.2.2 driver and it seems to be working fine for now.
by mamuefa on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:53 am
kondzio wroteAudioBox driver ver. 1.3 does not work on Windows 10 Creators Update

Second that!

1. Make sure you check your USB-Hubs in the Device-Manager (Win+X).
2. Uninstall all old drivers of your 22VSL.
3. Install the Universal Control Software.

That worked for me. BUT: There is no VSL Software anymore. In fact there is nothing anymore. The 22VSL has become just a normal USB-Audio Interface with no "good to have"- features unfortunately!
:evil:
by Skip Jones on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:59 am
robertstarbuck wrote
(2) If I find the Universal Control is unsatisfactory, de-install it, and then re-install the AudioBox 1818's VSL that Presonus offers, will it be the SAME as the successful VSL product I started with? Or will Presonus' replacement "legacy" VSL installation be something different?

Thanks (again), Bob

A.) 1.3 UC was not re-coded, it is the same version that includes the VSL console.

B.) Not one poster has replied that they opened a Support Ticket, as suggested. A Support Ticket is the BEST WAY to get any issue resolved. You may get suggestions here on the User Supported Forums but we are not PreSonus Support. Please, if you are experiencing issues, open a ticket.

C.) It would be helpful for the community if you would post your system specs in your signature. Click on the hyperlink in my signature to create your system specific signature.

D.) I am on Win 10 Creators update (latest build) and the 1.3 VSL does work.

E.) Thank You charlescohen for your post. I am happy you are up and running.

Regards,

Skip

Skip

OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by cristofe on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 pm
:+1 What he said! :mrgreen:

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by kondzio on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:32 pm
Ok, i found one more way to install the 1.3 driver on Creators Update, which worked IN MY CASE.

I copied the extraction files that original installer makes to a different location (desktop). They are located in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\is-I1P80.tmp (the last catalog may be different, so make a printscreen when the installer creates files it so you can find it easily)
Then I uninstalled any audiobox 22vsl devices in my device manager (left the one that had exclamation mark only)
I ran the installer from the desktop (setup.exe) and it was a different setup than the original one. The installation went smoothly.
Hope that helps someone :)
by martin14 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:15 am
I know this is an old thread, but I think it's worth summarizing some basic things to hopefully nail the issues that people have experienced here:

(a) FOR Win7 & Win10 SYSTEMS only: The legacy VSL 1.3 driver/software with Zero Latency Monitoring still works fine for: Audiobox 22VSL, 44VSL and 1818VSL.

(b) You need to connect your AudioBox **directly** to the PCs main USB2 socket -- ie. NOT into a USB3 socket! [NB. USB3 produces the clicks and pops with Audiobox.)

(c) For a 'clean' driver installation you first need to make sure there are no remnants of old Audiobox software on your PC.

(d) I have found that the best way of cleaning old Audiobox software from PC is to install the latest Universal software onto your PC, and then uninstall it. This is because the Universal installer is very good at removing all previous fragments of older VSL drivers & settings, and it also removes any old remnants from the Windows Registry & Device Manager.

Procedure for PC/Windows:

1. Install the latest Presonus Universal driver (this will clean-out any existing Audiobox drivers and settings).

2. When the Universal driver is successfully installed (and recognises your AudioBox) then reboot Windows.

3. When Windows is running again, go to the Windows Programs Uninstaller in the Windows Control Panel, and immediately UNINSTALL the Presonus Universal control software.

4. When Universal is un-installed, reboot Windows again. [Following this step, you should now have a ‘clean slate’ onto which you can install legacy VSL 1.3 software.]

5. When you are back in Windows, run the Presonus VSL 1.3 driver setup and connect your Audiobox into a USB2 socket.

From here it should all work -- At least that’s what worked for me!

Ps. For Mac users, the above will only work if you are still running the older Apple operating system. When Apple introduced their latest OS update (macOS High Sierra 10.13), they blocked third party drivers from running at the low-level kernel !
by Skip Jones on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:59 am
Thanks. Well explained. I still use my ABVSL 1818 and love it. Thanks for posting.

Skip

Skip

by Skip Jones on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:39 pm
All of this info is available on the PreSonus Knowledge Base.
If you have questions open a ticket or read the KB.

THIS IS NOT NEW.

Skip

by martin14 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:19 pm
Thanks for the feedback Skip!
You are right, it's not new. And there have been hundreds of posts on this subject, and I have read most of them. But in none of them has there been a clear explanation of the different factors and what to do. This is evidenced by the fact that there are still folks writing threads with titles like this one.

I guarantee that if Presonus had, several years ago, prominently written what I had written -- ie the simple points above -- then they would (a) have not had so many angry posts to read; and (b) they wouldn't have had all the unnecessary product returns from their PC-based customers and the defections to other brands.

By the way, I have now bought a brand new 44VSL -- to accompany my older 22VSL (which I bought when it first came out). VSL is so good for anything in real-time, and I really couldn't do without it. And it's a brilliant sound-card for games, Youtube, etc. as it allows me to route all the audio through the monitors + sub, with no latency, and apply EQ, compression & reverb in realtime, to make my games and my other audio needs -- such as live karaoke with my Shure SM58 mic -- sound absolutely great.

Happy New Year!
by cheerfloh on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 am
Hi,
I,m using AUdiobox44 VSL with Studio One 3 Prof. and the reason to bought it was VSL !
That was the second time that Presonus costs two days of my life to solve a problem that was created by PRESONUS themselves.

The third time will be the last time - I promise -

The Prosonus products are realy good - but the support and your customer handling is beneath contempt.

!!!! A LOT of THANKS to MARTIN14 for YOUR SUPPORT !!!!!!!

@ PRESONUS: It's not enough to develop good products
by jordanharkness on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:38 pm
I bought my 44VSL in April 2015. It has worked well enough on my PC (win10), but I decided to work on a niggling problem I've been having with it. As with any software issue, I always upgrade to the latest software before bothering other people with support. Universal Control uninstalled the old AudioBox VSL software without warning me and 'broke' all of the configuration for the various applications that I use. This is how I discovered this Audiobox VSL vs Universal Control fiasco and stumbled on this thread. So many questions...

- Why didn't Presonus notify their customers proactively that they would be breaking the software, and removing the prime functionality for the products that were purchased?
- How do I move forwards to stay current on software when there isn't a replacement feature set?
- Why does a problem on the Apple platform negate their ability to provide their advertised features on Windows.?
... the list goes on.

I'm now running the legacy AudioBox VSL software so my rig is working again. But this is a poor solution. It's a good thing I'm a technical person/user; Had I been a regular Joe, I would have had to bin this device in under 3 years. That is poor product management.

When a product is advertised with its prime feature set being VSL, you have to wonder how they think it's fine to disable support? Their present support stance of, "If you ask a question, you have to lose all the functionality you've paid for in order for us to speak to you." wouldn't pass any customer satisfaction survey. I just don't understand how they can run a business this way.

At any rate, I hope they read this note because they have to understand that I am an upset customer. A vocal one. I speak to a lot of folks who ask me about my audio setup, and Presonus needs to understand that their decisions like this not only affect my future buying decisions, but also the buying decisions for everyone else I speak to.

... I now must live with the niggling problems I already had on this device as I can't get support or software updates.

Skip, FWIW, this information is available on the support page, but when you Google the issues, you hit these forums near the top of the list. Some of us, who haven't come looking for support, are finding this as "new" [to us] information. It may not be new to you, but it definitely is a new surprise for me.

Martin, your points are helpful and factual. I don't agree with your assertion that this would have reduced the anger or returns from customers. Had I known, or been in a place to return this device, I would have returned it with an angry-customer statement (as I've done above). Unfortunately, it has been almost 3 years and I can't send the device back. The hardware quality is great, the VSL technology is great, but I can't buy products with no longevity from companies that don't stand behind their advertised features. That would be like Ford claiming your truck can tow 12,500lbs, but when you get home, they de-tune the engine and say, "welllll, we decided now it can only tow 3,000lbs. Have a good day."
I use my device, as you do, for gaming, voip, youtube, broadcast etc. which are all real-time applications. Had I known the device would be discontinued within the year of purchase, and the selling feature intentionally removed (for no reason on the PC), I definitely wouldn't have bought it. Audio gear should last in terms of years, not months.

:thumbdown:

Sincerely,
Jordan.
by Julian_M on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 am
Ps. For Mac users, the above will only work if you are still running the older Apple operating system. When Apple introduced their latest OS update (macOS High Sierra 10.13), they blocked third party drivers from running at the low-level kernel !

Hmm interesting - I wonder if this means that if you happen to be running a hackintosh (like me) we can't find a workaround? I mean just because Presonus might not feel able to damage their relationship with Apple by mucking about with injecting kexts where Apple dont want them, doesn't mean we should feel similarly constrained!!

As far as I'm concerned Apple shafted their creative userbase when they stopped development of practically useful and upgradeable tower based designs in favour of some bizarre aesthetic where its somehow preferable and more stylish to daisy chain all your outboard gear to a trashcan. I just bought an old 44VSL dirt cheap on eBay for the extra I/O in my tracking room - mostly with the idea of being able to more easily create 'more me' headphone mixes more easily with a little zero latency reverb for the talent (aka my better half).

I responsibly checked that the 44VSL was upgradeable to the latest driver and firmware for Mojave (though I'm still on Sierra) on the Presonus site before purchasing and am only now discovering that it wasnt quite the deal I thought it was - still there maybe a way forward after all. Not that I make any claims to being properly knowledgeable - but i will try to ask some folks who know a damn sight more than me and report back. Cheers
by Julian_M on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 am
they blocked third party drivers from running at the low-level kernel !

The more I think about it the more I think this statement is either wrong or far from the complete picture. If it were true in the sense that blocked means 'impossible to find a way of making it work' then it would follow that none of us would be running hackintoshes at all. The reality is that people manage to get all kinds of hardware working even on Mojave perfectly well - where there's a will there's a way as the saying goes.

I think I'll open a support ticket to see if Presonus will actually help solve this problem rather than just make excuses for why it can't be done. After all if its a question of getting kexts injected in the right place then for once those of us with hackintoshes might even have an advantage. Probably wishful thinking.
by Skip Jones on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:48 am
Talk to Apple, intead. This is what support will tell you. VSL was discontinued when PreSonus could not go forward with BOTH Windows and Apple platforms due to changes Apple made. The interfaces still work (I have a 44 and 1818) so in a way they are still supported. In fact, if you check, without the VSL component, are faster in round trip latency.

The VSL interfaces are still great interfaces, I still use them. It's just a shame that a very large third party changed and was unwilling to address the issue.

Bummer, eh?

Skip

by cristofe on Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:49 pm
The VSL interfaces are still great interfaces, I still use them. It's just a shame that a very large third party changed and was unwilling to address the issue.

Bummer, eh?

Jeez Louise......this is getting really old huh Skip? :lol:
Hope you had a great holiday season....it's nasty up here!

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by Skip Jones on Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:13 pm
Hey, Brother! Long time. 80° here day before yesterday in South Texas ... The Sparkling City by the Sea.

We should catch up!!!

Skip

by cristofe on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 am
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It's a balmy 20 here and snowing,(again!), LOL!!
Life got in the way of life there for a bit but I'm gettin' back in the groove. :thumbup:

by steveawest on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:51 am
Surely there must be a third party app out there somewhere?
I can't even play a YouTube clip through more than 2 channels at one time on my latest install of Win 10.
E.G. through my main studio monitors and another monitor send to the performers..
Can't play Youtube through Cubase.

39 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2