Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
28 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Are there any news about a Presonus digital snake solution. It's one thing that prevents me from replacing our 24.4.2 by a 32.4.2AI. I do not want to buy an additional snake.

MacBookPro iOS 10.10, Capture, iPad
2 x RM32AI, HP Envy Recline (i7, 23", Multitouch),
PA. KS-Audio CPD12, CPD1, CPD208, CL208 with CA4-D Amps
by matthewgorman on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:03 am
Nothing yet. Since Dante has not yet been released for the mixers themselves, I would think you would see that before any accessories.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Karyn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:32 am
You can upgrade to the 32ai and keep using your 24 channel snake... You'd not be buying a new snake and you'd still have the 24 channels you currently have.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by roblof on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:06 am
I'm still very curious on how the ai will control the stagebox headamps.

The gain control on the presonus consoles is analog (at least in the classic consoles) and therefor unable to control any remote headamp.

They may have a trick up their sleeve for this option though...

It will also be interesting to see if the dante enabled stagebox will work with any dante enabled mixer, like the x32, ls-9, etc...

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by Spirit on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:01 am
If I'd buy a 32.4.2. I'd like to use the additional channels I have. That's why keeping the 24 snake and waiting (for how long???) is not an option for me. I really can't understand, why a digital snake solution should be that much of a problem for presonus. It's almost standard, even in the price-segment, where presonus is playing.

MacBookPro iOS 10.10, Capture, iPad
2 x RM32AI, HP Envy Recline (i7, 23", Multitouch),
PA. KS-Audio CPD12, CPD1, CPD208, CL208 with CA4-D Amps
by mwright137 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:33 am
Well one possibility is that PreSonus is a relatively small company and can only design so many hardware devices at a time. With the new mixers and speakers that recently came out, it may just be they didn't have time yet.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by roblof on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:07 pm
Spirit wroteIf I'd buy a 32.4.2. I'd like to use the additional channels I have. That's why keeping the 24 snake and waiting (for how long???) is not an option for me. I really can't understand, why a digital snake solution should be that much of a problem for presonus. It's almost standard, even in the price-segment, where presonus is playing.

Given the presonus history about announcements and actual releases and also that there is no official word about a digisnake I'd say we're in for quite a long wait until it will hit the market.

Time will tell...

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by MDFuchs on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:55 am
With the release of the RM32AI and RM16AI, there have been numerous affirmations (se the intriductin videios), that the Dante Card will be released Q4 2014 or Q1 2015. I think, they postponed the release to make sure, that the Dante card fits well in All SLs and RMs and works together.

Mavid
by mwright137 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:51 am
The next question becomes price. They have the Dante cards for the speakers set at $199 according to the press release. The mixers will have more channels and will cost even more.

My bank account is crying...

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by Jjinplaya on Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:28 am
After talking to one of Presonus US representatives.....I was told that Presonus should be releasing the Dante card for the AI mixers, but will not be building a stage box. The question that comes to mind is: will their Dante card be compatible with most manufacturers stage boxes? I am now in a hurry up time frame to move to a digital snake configuration for my venue. If I don´t have this by mid December, I´ll be forced to sell my 24AI and switch brands to Yamaha, Allen Heath, or Soundcraft who already have the technology in place. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! Hurry up Presonus!!!!!!
by roblof on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:09 am
Jjinplaya wroteAfter talking to one of Presonus US representatives.....I was told that Presonus should be releasing the Dante card for the AI mixers, but will not be building a stage box. The question that comes to mind is: will their Dante card be compatible with most manufacturers stage boxes? I am now in a hurry up time frame to move to a digital snake configuration for my venue. If I don´t have this by mid December, I´ll be forced to sell my 24AI and switch brands to Yamaha, Allen Heath, or Soundcraft who already have the technology in place. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! Hurry up Presonus!!!!!!

While you can use Dante with any 3'rd party stagebox/mixer, dante does not usually provide you with remote control for controlling preamps in that stagebox/mixer. There is also no provision for any sort of remote control on the ai-mixer surface so any remote operation must be done via the vsl software.

This is probably a dealbreaker for many people wanting to use a dante stagebox with the ai...

by Jjinplaya on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:18 am
roblof wrote
Jjinplaya wroteAfter talking to one of Presonus US representatives.....I was told that Presonus should be releasing the Dante card for the AI mixers, but will not be building a stage box. The question that comes to mind is: will their Dante card be compatible with most manufacturers stage boxes? I am now in a hurry up time frame to move to a digital snake configuration for my venue. If I don´t have this by mid December, I´ll be forced to sell my 24AI and switch brands to Yamaha, Allen Heath, or Soundcraft who already have the technology in place. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! Hurry up Presonus!!!!!!

While you can use Dante with any 3'rd party stagebox/mixer, dante does not usually provide you with remote control for controlling preamps in that stagebox/mixer. There is also no provision for any sort of remote control on the ai-mixer surface so any remote operation must be done via the vsl software.

This is probably a dealbreaker for many people wanting to use a dante stagebox with the ai...

Let me make sure I understand. Are you saying that there is no remote for the gain control...only?
Certainly the mixer can still be controlled by an Ipad.
by roblof on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:17 pm
Jjinplaya wroteLet me make sure I understand. Are you saying that there is no remote for the gain control...only?
Certainly the mixer can still be controlled by an Ipad.

I'm not sure that I understand your question...

None of the studiolive consoles can have their preamp controlled remotely. You need physical access to the console to control them.

On the RM-series the preamps can be controlled remotely.

With dante there is no set standard (that I'm aware of) for controlling remote devices. This means that you can't take a yamaha dante stagebox and control its preamps from another dante enabled device.

Dantes primary function is to distribute audio from one device to other(s) and nothing else. This means that it is up to the sending device on how it is processing the data before sending it.

I'm not sure, but I think that AVB addresses this issue. There is also something called aes67 that I know nothing about either. It has big parts in common with AVB. These standards aims to help with interoperability in the future between product by different manufacturers.

I think that we have a couple of more years down the road before before we can mix and match mixers/stageboxes form different vendors, but the future looks good...

by Jjinplaya on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:58 am
Basically you did in fact answer my question. That is, the preamps can not be controlled remotely but the audio can still be sent to and from the stage box. This should work for me. If I need to adjust the preamp (gain) I can still do so at the mixer. Are we now communicating or am I still confused?
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:21 am
Looks like you're still confused. A digital snake is more than just a digital version of an analog snake. A digital snake's stage box must have preamps, A/D converters and the computing power to push all data down a UTP cable. It is the preamps in the stage box that need to be remote controllable. A SL mixer can't do that. From the mixer's control surface you can only control the mixer's preamps, not the preamps in a stage box. At least, not yet.
by Jjinplaya on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:28 am
OK...........still confused. In what instance would I need to control the preamps in the stagebox?
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:14 am
When they are clipping, or when you want them a little hotter.

The thing is that you can't "clip" an analog snake, but you can clip a digital snake. Headroom is limited just like any ordinary preamp/ADC combination. So you need to be able to tweak the stage box just like you want to be able to tweak your mixer preamps.

Actually, with a mixer with digital snake option the mixer preamps and ADCs will be bypassed. The snake data will feed straight into the processor.

Hope that helps :)
by roblof on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:17 pm
Think of a digital stagebox as a minimalistic mixer. It contains all the basic parts that any mixer has - Including a power supply!

by Jjinplaya on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:02 am
SwitchBack wroteWhen they are clipping, or when you want them a little hotter.

The thing is that you can't "clip" an analog snake, but you can clip a digital snake. Headroom is limited just like any ordinary preamp/ADC combination. So you need to be able to tweak the stage box just like you want to be able to tweak your mixer preamps.

Actually, with a mixer with digital snake option the mixer preamps and ADCs will be bypassed. The snake data will feed straight into the processor.

Ok, but once again....if I need to adjust (tweak) the preamps, can´t I do that by going to the mixer itself and physically turn the knobs?
by roblof on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:40 am
Jjinplaya wrote
SwitchBack wroteWhen they are clipping, or when you want them a little hotter.

Ok, but once again....if I need to adjust (tweak) the preamps, can´t I do that by going to the mixer itself and physically turn the knobs?

No, because you need to adjust the preamps on the digital stagebox. Therefor you'd need to run to the digital stagebox to tweak the preamp instead of adjusting the preamps on your mixing console, because now your remote preamps are on the stage.

Some mixers from other vendors can control the digital stagebox from the vendors console, but this is done in some propetary way that is incompatible with the rest of the world. This is where aes67/avb comes to the rescue in the future.

28 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2