12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi

Can someone please shed some light on how Studio One makes use of CPU cores? Ie. Is all processing power required simply taken and split evenly over all cores at any given time?

I ask this because I know that Ableton Live will not split a track's processing burden over different cores. If there's lots of plugins on one track, it will only use one of the cores for that track. Then you need to alternate/arrange your tracks to spread the load. This approach is obviously to be avoided.

Before I implement all my PreSonus purchases, I need to choose the right CPU - more cores with the latest AMD, or higher core speed with the latest Intel core? My understanding is that more cores should always prevail......but this won't work with a silly approach like Ableton's.

I would appreciate it if someone who know can let me know how Studio One is optimised to run with any given CPU, and if you have any other recommendations regarding choosing a CPU.

The CPU I choose will be required for Studio One, Notion and PreSonus hardware such as the Studio 192 and DigiMax.

Thanks in advance for your help regarding this important consideration.
by Steve Carter on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:08 pm
Hi ...
I'm in the process of upgrading to a new computer and I've asked a very similar question on another post but sadly got no replies. I'll keep an eye on this thread as perhaps you'll be luckier with responses.

Keep a tin helmet handy though as this can be a very touchy subject in these parts...!!

Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by sc24 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:38 pm
Thanks Steve. I'd consider this critical information so hopefully someone with deep knowledge of the software can provide some insight for us both and everyone else. It affects everything from the performance of the studio to the budget share allocated to what you put in the studio....
by Steve Carter on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:46 pm
This recent post by 'funkybot' seems to answer some pertinent points.....

viewtopic.php?f=213&t=24830&p=136733#p136733

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
by derylpresberry on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:53 am
https://support.image-line.com/knowledg ... hp?ans=214

While I know the link is not studio one link, I think we can all take this into count as well...
by sc24 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 pm
OK, yes there is indeed a heap of information there, and it was great to read. And I can see the sensitivity of some people coming through too!

I don't question S1's ability to fulfil my purposes or anyone else's purpose. I will be using S1. The question in my mind on which I seek final clarification is:

Is it preferable to have a CPU with more cores that run pretty fast, or a CPU with less cores but with higher core speed?

For example: CPU 1 - 8 cores @ 3.4GHz each VS CPU 2 - 4 cores @ 3.6GHz each?

The S1 forum comments seem to be in favour of the former (which is what I was thinking), while the general article provided favours the latter (possibly because of cases where more cores equals a negligible CPU benchmark gain of less than 10% - but that is not the case anymore with the latest CPU releases, especially from AMD).

Any final thoughts on my big question would really help me buy with confidence. Thanks again.
by Steve Carter on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:42 pm
Bump ... with knobs on!
Can anyone give a definitive answer to this fundamental question?

Will S1 run more efficiently/effectively with 'A': a cpu with more cores or 'B': a cpu with more speed? (Given that all else is equal)

Presuming that an obvious answer might be a cpu with both additional cores and a high clock rate - if (for reasons of budget/availability) one had to trade one against the other, which scenario A or B is preferable?

Please.......

by sc24 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:05 pm
I am on the brink of fitting my entire home studio exclusively with Presonus products, since I would like to stay with one brand.

However for this one brand to be Presonus, I'll need a more responsive community (at least from Presonus mods) for my basic pre-sales question, which clearly other people have.

Which CPU option for a studio without a limitless budget: A or B? (see above).
by Steve Carter on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:44 am
Interesting article and comments section from recent Protools Expert newsletter - raises some interesting and pertinent points for consideration and also highlights similar issues that Protools users have with CPU useage, particularly with Apple computers.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... #gsc.tab=0

Regards....

by sc24 on Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 pm
More good info, thanks Steve. I will definitely read that one.

Could someone from PreSonus please help us with this fundamental question? I don't understand why it has taken weeks/months to get an answer to a simple pre-sales question by an enthusiastic first-time PreSonus buyer.

Either this thread is not monitored at all by PreSonus or there is some other reason they won't say "For our software, Go with CPU A or Go with CPU B".

I'll try to contact them direct. Come on guys, I'm trying to get on with things here!
by Steve Carter on Thu May 11, 2017 10:57 pm
Hi again...

I got some useful info from another forum user 'P H O T O N T I C' on this link:

viewtopic.php?p=139854#p139854

Regards.....

by kev4 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 am
Seems no one from presonus is interested in helping peeps who may buy their DAW :roll:

https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... https://knmac.bandcamp.com/... Studio one 4 on Windows 10 Yamaha N8.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1