Share your songs!
17 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is one of the biggest, and most technically challenging track's I've ever produced to date, it's 11 minutes long. You might want to grab a tea or coffee. :)

phpBB [audio]

To view the full size cover image click here

CGI artwork designed by Scott Moncrieff. (THE INTRANCER)

The story of
SYTROPHIA

SYTROPHIA - Is a colony city based on the moon Europa, which has been created by robotic machines sent from earth. The elements of earth which are essential for human life to exist were sent there. Animals from earth were sent in cryogenic containers, but no normal animals, these were modified at DNA level to cope with the conditions on the moon but have mutated in frightening ways.

The DNA that was injected into these animals contain human DNA so their behavior would simulate human characteristics and be more advanced than those on earth. The robotic machines, were disconnected from remote controls from earth when the control tower was taken out by an electrical storm. In such conditions, the robots default back to their original games mode which is to fight, defend and attack. They are completely self automated, and since developed their own instructions which are set to eliminate other surrounding planets, including earth. The colony on the moon Europa has deteriorated badly since, however a primitive church remains and is used by the DNA modified animals to warn of threats from robots and intruders.

You are an intruder, a modified solider, part machine / part human a cyborg and you have been sent to disable the robots central computer system on SYTROPHIA and prevent them from attacking earth.
Last edited by scottmoncrieff on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by alexjason on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:47 pm
Very impressive.

Really liked the strings that come in around 2: 00 and the profoundly lonely and chilling wind sounds before that.

Great energetic build starting at about 7:00. Exciting.

Liked the last movement. Subtle but powerful.

Great command of all these sounds and textures.

Are you composing to a particular story? Or is this something of a demo?

Can't wait to see the movie . . . .

-- Alex Jason
by davidlopez2 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:23 am
Cool electro-acoustic stuff in there. You should check out KOAN Sound and their approach to stuff like this
by jpsbuk on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:58 pm
First off - I really enjoyed the journey on this piece - very reminiscent of Robert Miles in places. Great developments and musical twists and turns and certainly easy to listen to for 11 minutes :)

My only negative comment would be that it feels a little thin and lacking warmth. I had to listen twice but I think it is down to a slight lack of low end. To me it sounded a little bit as if I was listening on a lo-fi system. I've said this before about your work but it always seemed to be just me picking it up so maybe it's just down to my personal expectations (or bad hearing) :)

Bottom line though it is very nice work both musically and in production - thanks for sharing.

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by Bbd on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:20 pm
Scott,
Outstanding work! So many textures. I am sure that most of us listening once miss the great stuff but after what I heard, I will listen again. It will work so well with visual.
I think you need to push the low end. I have ATHM-50's as well and I have found that they really push the low end. If a mix sounds like it is perfect low end in them, it is likely that the bottom is too shy.
For my system, I turned up my subwoofer about 2db at around 40hz (approximate) and I could then feel the sub more.

The strings (all of them) sound really nice. They are wide and smooth.
Your use of delay and reverb is super well done.
The cell phone ring moving around the speakers was great (maybe it is just a bit loud?).
That ghosty sound that commands the 2nd movement was really interesting. I would have dropped it when you went into the next piece. It kind of disappears and then comes back in a new piece when emotionally I was moving on but it came back. I might not be making sense. Disregard because these are so very minor observations.

I did a lot of filmscore back in the 80's and if we had you on our team, when might have got more gigs! But you would be very young then!
:)

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Lawrence on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 pm
Nice track. Is there a film this is associated with or mostly stuff for the demo reel?

Good work in either case.
by muziksculp on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:23 am
Very Nice !

I enjoyed listening to this track, and like the overall feel, and mood.

Also like your track's cover artwork design :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing,
Muziksculp

Studio One Pro 6.0.2 , FaderPort 8, ATOM. (Windows 10).

HW Synths, Virtual Instruments, Sample Libraries, HW & VST Effects, and Various Acoustic Instruments
by scottmoncrieff on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:26 pm

The story of
SYTROPHIA

SYTROPHIA - Is a colony city based on the moon Europa, which has been created by robotic machines sent from earth. The elements of earth which are essential for human life to exist were sent there. Animals from earth were sent in cryogenic containers, but no normal animals, these were modified at DNA level to cope with the conditions on the moon but have mutated in frightening ways.

The DNA that was injected into these animals contain human DNA so their behavior would simulate human characteristics and be more advanced than those on earth. The robotic machines, were disconnected from remote controls from earth when the control tower was taken out by an electrical storm. In such conditions, the robots default back to their original games mode which is to fight, defend and attack. They are completely self automated, and since developed their own instructions which are set to eliminate other surrounding planets, including earth. The colony on the moon Europa has deteriorated badly since, however a primitive church remains and is used by the DNA modified animals to warn of threats from robots and intruders.

You are an intruder, a modified solider, part machine / part human a cyborg and you have been sent to disable the robots central computer system on SYTROPHIA and prevent them from attacking earth.

(I'll be spreading my replies to the comments as they come over the next few days / week as I've done with my previous tracks, so I'll get to it eventually. It's a significantly less amount of time than it took to create this or when I since laid my first note :-D )

I should probably give a brief synopsis of the story and my goals behind this track before picking up on any comments and points that have been made about it.

It was back in Nov 2016 I originally started it, my influence.. lots of sci-fi / distopian films like Blade Runner, Tron Legacy, Watchmen, Terminator, Oblivion, Predator 1,2,3, Prometheus, Dr Strange ( I'd watched at the Cinema in September with my sister and young nephew who's 9 and plays guitar), and computer games like from the Dead Space series whilst taking influences from some of my earlier musical sci-fi work. But ultimately I wanted to create something a bit different with a more story laden angle. In fact, I wanted to inject a bit of horror in there too, but kinda felt I'd just hint at that in places rather than go all out big scary voices through out.

Trying to capture all the atmosphere of the different locations and placing you in a 3D world. In fact I went out exploring my local area in real life taking photo's, such as the coastal caves, even the local church, referencing them for imagery I'd might use for the cover image but also as inspiration to develop the track further. I wasn't sure if the cover image was going to use actual photo's or not or a combination of both but I decided to explore my options in how I could do this and it's one of the main reasons why it's taken so long to actually release this track, whilst working on other recent music. Using Photoshop / Adobe Illustrator for spline conversion to use in Cinema 4D for 3D buildings and structures was an interesting and fun process although a time consuming one. Creating thousands of buildings and structures and being able to display and render them in 3D wasn't going to be very easy, but for the theme, it wasn't really needed to go all photo realistic. Besides modelling all the buildings by hand including the space cruisers, ( a bigger 3 week project I did many years ago) and the church I did the other night, I used a technique called greebling on 3D objects. It's a true 3D world in effect that I can navigate around. The images created were then composited within Photoshop CS6 where further post processing was performed.

So not only is this one of the longest tracks I've created, it's just as much in a graphical project sense. I made my first 3D world in Deluxe Paint 4 on the Amiga 500 way back in the 1990's and funnily enough started using Cinema 4D on an Amiga 1200 in 1996 before an expensive hobby upgrading it until 2011 since 2001 where I started with C4D R6. I also used my 3D skills for uni projects in Interactive Multimedia besides posting some of it on CGtalk and 3DBuzzz.com

My aim was to really show, just how creative I can be as an artist, both musically and visually in merging these two mediums together, besides raising my own goal level in ambitious productions.

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by scottmoncrieff on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:25 pm
alexjason wroteVery impressive.

Really liked the strings that come in around 2: 00 and the profoundly lonely and chilling wind sounds before that.

Thanks, yeah...the lonely feeling was something I was trying to capture in the early part, perhaps desolate, baron..foreboding also too. The use of sound effects and textures was important to give a living world feel about the piece and sense of movement to a destination. I didn't provide a story when I first posted this but yes, I had a general idea or rough draft in my head in how I progressed in this but not anything specific in details written down prior. I knew the general theme and the kinda way that I would progress with it. New idea's were added a few months later which extended the length of it. Rather than just lead straight into the story, I thought a beginning and ending score might be nice to do to add, providing a layer of depth and to round things off. This was added in the past month...

Scoring for movies is something I'd love to do in life, currently I'm working on another cinematic piece. :) A few years ago I did a score for Battlefield 3 film, it's since been played / downloaded over 1400 times..(didn't notice I'd left the download option still available lol) https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff- ... bf3-film-1

by scottmoncrieff on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:36 pm
davidlopez2 wroteCool electro-acoustic stuff in there. You should check out KOAN Sound and their approach to stuff like this

I did, but sorry I don't class them as real producers I'd look up to, very much the opposite and for reason's I won't get into here as it's not relevant and better left to another thread elsewhere such as the off topic forum. But thanks for commenting on the track.

by scottmoncrieff on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:23 pm
jpsbuk wroteFirst off - I really enjoyed the journey on this piece - very reminiscent of Robert Miles in places. Great developments and musical twists and turns and certainly easy to listen to for 11 minutes :)

My only negative comment would be that it feels a little thin and lacking warmth. I had to listen twice but I think it is down to a slight lack of low end. To me it sounded a little bit as if I was listening on a lo-fi system. I've said this before about your work but it always seemed to be just me picking it up so maybe it's just down to my personal expectations (or bad hearing) :)

Bottom line though it is very nice work both musically and in production - thanks for sharing.

It's been a long time since I've heard any of Robert Miles tracks, his track called 'Children' from the mid to late 1990's, is really the only one I can recall.. so I'd be curious to hear anything he's done since which is reminiscent of this piece. Pacing and injections of twists and turns is something I'm always conscious of, bringing things in slowly or instantly bringing them in at appropriate time and duration to keep the listener listening.

For the production sound of this track, I tried to keep to acceptable listening levels but I didn't want to push the bass levels any more than they were already. It was something I experimented with but felt in some places, it was detrimental, and so kept it to a safe area of the frequency range. So rather than keep messing with it and forever sitting on my hard drive. I'd get it out there whilst the CGI was completed and whilst I concentrate on new stuff.

I might revisit it in a month or so to see what tweaks I'd like to do, but for the moment I'm pretty happy with it. There are a few minor volume adjustments I'd make still, The main first layer of the track brings my computer to it's knee's so adjusting things till they are exactly right is quite time consuming. It does have a certain lo-fi sound to it. I was aware of that, but left it as it was kinda the mood and feel I was going for in creating an imperfect decaying world. :D
Last edited by scottmoncrieff on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by alexjason on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:00 pm
scottmoncrieff wrote

Thanks, yeah...the lonely feeling was something I was trying to capture in the early part, perhaps desolate, baron..foreboding also too. The use of sound effects and textures was important to give a living world feel about the piece and sense of movement to a destination. I didn't provide a story when I first posted this but yes, I had a general idea or rough draft in my head in how I progressed in this but not anything specific in details written down prior. I knew the general theme and the kinda way that I would progress with it. New idea's were added a few months later which extended the length of it. Rather than just lead straight into the story, I thought a beginning and ending score might be nice to do to add, providing a layer of depth and to round things off. This was added in the past month...

Scoring for movies is something I'd love to do in life, currently I'm working on another cinematic piece. :) A few years ago I did a score for Battlefield 3 film, it's since been played / downloaded over 1400 times..(didn't notice I'd left the download option still available lol) https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff- ... bf3-film-1

You really did nail that desolate, barren, forbidding, lonely emotion. It was spooky. So many "movements" were impressive; both in the number of them and the complexity.

I'm intrigued about the 3D model city you created. I would love to see some of the renderings, if possible.

-- Alex Jason
by scottmoncrieff on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:47 pm
alexjason wrote
scottmoncrieff wrote

You really did nail that desolate, barren, forbidding, lonely emotion. It was spooky. So many "movements" were impressive; both in the number of them and the complexity.

I'm intrigued about the 3D model city you created. I would love to see some of the renderings, if possible.

I'll come back to the other replies I missed but, just to make the thread flow with something interesting..I'm going to post some of the CGI which has been key to this track.

Thanks, my head has always had a keen ear on little details from movies, I've always considered a soundtrack to be just as important to what is seen. Chariots Of Fire wasn't particularly a great movie but it was the music and sound effects that completely elevated it to a whole new level :). In reference to the CGI renderings, here's a few of the models which I created that are used in it.

Cinema 4D

Sytrophia City (Pre-Post Processing)

Star Cruiser Model

Star Cruiser Model (wireframe)

by scottmoncrieff on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:54 pm
Lawrence wroteNice track. Is there a film this is associated with or mostly stuff for the demo reel?

Good work in either case.

There's a possibility in the future that there will be in some way associated with a film, but yeah..it's a demo reel / portfolio music type of thing I've added to my long line of film themed pieces atm.

muziksculp wroteVery Nice !

I enjoyed listening to this track, and like the overall feel, and mood.

Also like your track's cover artwork design :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing,
Muziksculp

Thanks, I've lost count to how many times I've listen to this..normally I tire quickly from repeat listening of certain musical pieces. I guess it's like a game environment or world you get lost and transported in, like a sci-fi movie.

The artwork part is fun, it's kinda like adding the icing to cake. :)

And in case anyone might be wondering, the vocoded computer voice is my own voice as you hear it, processed in real time using Razor. The other clear ausy sounding one isn't. :D

by oliver p. on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:14 am
Very well done, the tune kept me building up pictures in my fantasy - nice textures and tension too.
This is not the music i listen to usually, but the exception proves the rule :thumbup:

J. Oliver Petry | i make music | Germany
Studio One Professional 6.5.2 | Win10 Home Edition 64bit |
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz | 16 GB RAM
| Audient id4 | Nektar GX61

youtube
by scottmoncrieff on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:15 pm
oliver p. wroteVery well done, the tune kept me building up pictures in my fantasy - nice textures and tension too.
This is not the music i listen to usually, but the exception proves the rule :thumbup:

Thanks, yeah, even if you don't know the story, your mind creates one for you with audio cue's triggering imagery. The placing, duration and intervals of spot effects and atmospheric elements are all carefully assembled, like a director conducts the momentum in a film. I actually recall trying to imagine how Ridley Scot would have done this. In essence, leaving your mind to imagine your own interpretation.

:)

by scottmoncrieff on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:03 pm
It's Halloween today, thought it worth resurrecting given that this is really a bit of a sci-fi horror soundtrack.

17 posts
Page 1 of 1