7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Anyone out there developed presets for VSL Dimension Strings? I've modified the patches from the VSL SE Presets. They're ok, but I get the feeling that they don't even scratch the surface as far as the capabilities of DS...

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by johnnewberry on Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:21 am
Hi Michael,
I think you could create your own Custom Rules. Creating your own will give you a very good understanding of the VSL Library, Notion and music in general, also a sense of pride that will connect you closer to your desires and creative ideas.

I've found that in order to start the process of writing "prule" documents, it's nessasary to get the Sample libraries documentation/manuals and write on paper all of the names of the samples wanted or needed.

Then the next task is to go through the Notion Custom Rules documentation and again! write down all of the Conditions, Articulations and Techniques that are important to the style of music the custom rules needed to address.

The trick then is to connect the dots. Meaning figure out which "technique goes with which sample named-x" etc.,etc,.
It may seem impossible but I'm here to tell you it's not. I've done it. And I did it with only the limited Rules documentation given at the time.
Now with the new Ruleset Editor in Notion 5 you should be able to soon arrange, test and develop your own rulesets.

It does and will take time but the payback is well worth the time and learning cure. If you just think about it for a few days you'll probably say to yourself "why didn't I start doing this sooner? ".
It's never to late. You would then get more of what you expect and need out of you Sound Library investment.

I really think you should consider tackling this task for your own peace of mind.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:53 am
John, thanks for the motivation and encouragement. I have a significant limitation to throw in the mix, and that is that I have no formal music training. So I get quite bewildered thinking about all the possible permutations between cross fades from legato to vibrato etc. etc. Not to mention doing all of that for all the different dynamics from pppp to ffff and in between. It makes my head spin. But Maybe I should dig into the Notion 5 Ruleset Editor and see where that takes me.

By the way, is the Ruleset Editor a separate program? How does one access it?

Thanks again, Michael

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by wcreed on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:30 pm
Shift-Y brings up the Rule Editor

Bill Reed
Notion 6, Dorico, StaffPad, Overture , Studio One, Cubase
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Forster 190
by ronnieg1 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:43 pm
Awesome,Awesome,Awesome.......
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:49 pm
Thinking about diving into this. As a starting point, is there a way to load and edit the Notion Presets for VSL SE?

Thanks, any guidance appreciated!

Michael

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by martinkutschker on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:39 am
As a starting point, is there a way to load and edit the Notion Presets for VSL SE?

AFAIK they are found in the download section of the homepage. So you can use it as a starting point for your own rules. I don't think you can edit them globally. But Notion will remember the VST settings for each song. So you can save your custom settings in VI and load them again when you start out with a new composition.

Masi

7 posts
Page 1 of 1