Share your songs!
15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Introducing a new revised update to bring more life to the track, 'The Hidden Labyrinth'.

phpBB [audio]

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by scottyo7 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:35 pm
Overall I really like your song here. ;)
I've been listening to this style a lot lately and messing with it myself. 8-)

To me - there is too much high end overall. :roll:
A few of the instruments (clap/snare, some of the synths, etc) have their domain up there already and seem to have extra highs there too.

In comparison to Ryan Farrish and Tycho, they have either compressed or used notch filters as their stuff is smoother... similar to using a pop screen on vocals vs. not having it.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by scottmoncrieff on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:42 pm
scottyo7 wroteOverall I really like your song here. ;)
I've been listening to this style a lot lately and messing with it myself. 8-)

To me - there is too much high end overall. :roll:
A few of the instruments (clap/snare, some of the synths, etc) have their domain up there already and seem to have extra highs there too.

In comparison to Ryan Farrish and Tycho, they have either compressed or used notch filters as their stuff is smoother... similar to using a pop screen on vocals vs. not having it.

Yeah, the high frequencies were increased in this version as well as the low end and the overall volume, the very top frequencies were shelved off however, so it's something I was aware of before bouncing down. My music does tend to be on the higher frequency side, which is something I don't mind as Iike to hear every little detail :). There is added compression in this version too as well as EQ. I don't mind experimenting with my tracks after they are compositionally finished as you learn techniques in sculpting how it sounds.

I'll experiment with some additional frequency filtering techniques on the side lines whilst I work on anther track. Currently I have two other larger 7 to 8 minute + tracks finished which I've yet to post on here, I just need to create the cover artwork for them.

Interestingly, I've never hear of either of the artists you mentioned before, but I'll look at using some notch filters on this track.

Cheers :)

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by garryknight on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:19 pm
Nice and complex. An interesting listen. I have to echo the comments about high frequencies, though. At my normal listening volume on AKG headphones, it started to hurt my ears a short while after the beginning. I'm a bit sensitive in the mid-highs, though, with or without headphones. It held my interest all the way through, and you wouldn't have to pay me to listen to it again ;)

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by scottmoncrieff on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:01 pm
garryknight wroteNice and complex. An interesting listen. I have to echo the comments about high frequencies, though. At my normal listening volume on AKG headphones, it started to hurt my ears a short while after the beginning. I'm a bit sensitive in the mid-highs, though, with or without headphones. It held my interest all the way through, and you wouldn't have to pay me to listen to it again ;)

Yeah, I'd probably agree with that, it's rather sizzling hot at higher volumes, so probably need to cool it down a bit with some cold filter plugin coolants. I was exploring my plugin collection last night to see what would do the job. I'll probably give it a couple of days before I find one suitable and only then post an update to this track. Often I'll stumble on something or a combination of things whilst working on another piece of work I created sometime before.

I've listened to the track god knows how many times and I still like it, so it's probably worth the perseverance in getting the frequencies right, as interesting as it is to explore the possible frequency ranges :D

Cheers

by jpsbuk on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:31 pm
I'm not quite sure what this is doing to my ears :)

I'm a headphone listener and at first I had the same problem as Garry and was forced to turn the volume down. After a minute or so though I got the urge to turn it up again and quite enjoyed the experience. Hard to explain really but those high frequencies combined with the improved bass levels seemed to trigger something in my head and it all suddenly clicked.

I can see how if you listened to this repeatedly (as you would in mix) that you would really get hooked on it. I think somehow on a second run through your ears sort of naturally dull the highs and it sounds better.

My head says "kill the highs", my heart says "love it" .. bizarre effect! :shock:

I definitely prefer this version - thanks for sharing.

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by garryknight on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:13 pm
jpsbuk wroteMy head says "kill the highs", my heart says "love it"

That was by Mumford and Sons, wasn't it? ;)

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by kennethkovach on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:37 pm
Very nice song, I like the interplay between the different instruments.

I did not have a problem with the high end, but I was browsing the forums on my iPad, so I will have to check out the song on better speakers.

And very nice artwork, very fitting for the song!

iMac, ElCapitan
Microsoft Surface
Studio One v 5 Professional, Notion v 6
by scottmoncrieff on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:08 pm
jpsbuk wroteI'm not quite sure what this is doing to my ears :)

I'm a headphone listener and at first I had the same problem as Garry and was forced to turn the volume down. After a minute or so though I got the urge to turn it up again and quite enjoyed the experience. Hard to explain really but those high frequencies combined with the improved bass levels seemed to trigger something in my head and it all suddenly clicked.

I can see how if you listened to this repeatedly (as you would in mix) that you would really get hooked on it. I think somehow on a second run through your ears sort of naturally dull the highs and it sounds better.

My head says "kill the highs", my heart says "love it" .. bizarre effect! :shock:

I definitely prefer this version - thanks for sharing.

It's a new genre of music I've developed, I think I'll call it 'Highintrancity' :D

(Forgot, I was supposed to post a less high frequency version wasn't I) :twisted:

by scottmoncrieff on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:15 pm
kennethkovach wroteVery nice song, I like the interplay between the different instruments.

I did not have a problem with the high end, but I was browsing the forums on my iPad, so I will have to check out the song on better speakers.

And very nice artwork, very fitting for the song!

Thanks Kenneth, ( that's my older brothers name also :-) ). But yeah... the interplay aspect was something that I thought would be cool to play around with, like the syn energy of performers on stage communicating vie the sound they make.

For the artwork I had thoughts on making a real ice palace, but thought a combination of irregular shapes and atmospheric effects and fades would be just as effective and take much less time. The artwork was created with a combination of Pixologics ZBrush for the shapes, which were imported into Cinema 4D R11.5 where they were textured and finally composited into Photoshop CS6.

by Jemusic on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:08 pm
Scott for me your track is way too top end heavy. And it is also so thin it sounds pretty bad to me. You are not preserving the depth that these instruments have. And it suffers from the everything is bright with this making nothing standing out.

Listent to Jarre's Oxygen 3 CD here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-4or7dybw

Listen to the depth he has on the bottom end and also only a few things here and there are actually clear and bright. The CD sounds better than this too by the way. Way better, but even on Youtube here streaming it still sounds good.

I started in 1980 with the real synths like Oberheims and such. The bottom end is floor shaking in the studio. The virtual synths can do it though. Especially the better quality ones. You have to keep an eye on all this right back at the source to preserve that bottom end.

Either your monitors are dull and you pushing the high end or your ears are tired and you pushing it harder to make it sound normal or you are monitoring very softly. I bet Jarre sounds good on your monitors.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by scottmoncrieff on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:26 pm
Jemusic wroteScott for me your track is way too top end heavy. And it is also so thin it sounds pretty bad to me. You are not preserving the depth that these instruments have. And it suffers from the everything is bright with this making nothing standing out.

Listen to the depth he has on the bottom end and also only a few things here and there are actually clear and bright. The CD sounds better than this too by the way. Way better, but even on Youtube here streaming it still sounds good.

I started in 1980 with the real synths like Oberheims and such. The bottom end is floor shaking in the studio. The virtual synths can do it though. Especially the better quality ones. You have to keep an eye on all this right back at the source to preserve that bottom end.

Either your monitors are dull and you pushing the high end or your ears are tired and you pushing it harder to make it sound normal or you are monitoring very softly. I bet Jarre sounds good on your monitors.

You probably don't realise this, but this track was purely an experiment in the creative manipulation of audio and the reaction it has on the human auditory system and brain. I'm not sticking to normal conventions, that's the point.

by Bbd on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:45 pm
Jemusic wroteScott for me your track is way too top end heavy. And it is also so thin it sounds pretty bad to me. You are not preserving the depth that these instruments have. And it suffers from the everything is bright with this making nothing standing out.

Totally agree on this Jeff. I really like the composition but the final mix has either too much mids or highs. I miss warmth and it feels like instruments and frequencies are fighting for space. That makes it sound smaller. All this IMO. I think the creative part of this is nice but a little too repetitive for multi listens.

Nice work Scott.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by scottmoncrieff on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:08 pm
Bbd wrote
Totally agree on this Jeff. I really like the composition but the final mix has either too much mids or highs. I miss warmth and it feels like instruments and frequencies are fighting for space. That makes it sound smaller. All this IMO. I think the creative part of this is nice but a little too repetitive for multi listens.

Nice work Scott.

See my previous comment's in this thread, (it's a science experiment). I do on occasions take creative liberties on my own work, because it's exciting.

by Bbd on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:51 pm
Of course Scott. This is your work. Just chiming in after listening. Your piece might even be more powerful with a fuller bottom end. If that's the way you wanted it then no biggy. We all hear in our own world anyway.

:)

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ

15 posts
Page 1 of 1