9 posts
Page 1 of 1
So, the new 32 is on US soil and going through final pre-shipment firmware updates according to the other thread...

But when is the 16 going to ship?

I'd love to see a users manual to really understand what "features" I would sacrifice by going 16 vs 32 for budget reasons.
I think PreSonus and Sweatwater have typos on feature text about the 16 having 16 +4 aux outputs. I only see 6 XLR output connectors and 4 TRS output connectors on the picture of the 16 rear. So, I assume it has 6 aux/sub/matrix outputs plus the 4 subgroups as available non-main mix outputs.

PreSonus StudioOne 3 Pro with many 3rd party plug-ins and sample sounds
PreSonus StudioLive Series III 32-channel mixer and AudioBox 22 VSL interface
HP Envy w/AMD A10 2.5GHz 5750M APU w/Radeon HD Graphics, 64-bit, 16 GB RAM
LaCie 3 TB 7200 rpm external HD
Condenser mics: Roswell mini K47, AKG C214, (2) Rode NT5
Dynamic Mics: Heil PR35, Shure SM57, Heil PR28, Sennheiser e604, Sennheiser e601 II, Audio-Technica ATM230
dbx 1231 graphic eq
Monitors: PreSonus Eris E5, PreSonus Temblor T10 Subwoofer, and Alesis M1Active 320 USB.
by Ministrymusicpa on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 pm
You are correct on the 10 outputs.
6 xlr and 4 TRS. They are all flex mixes.

I have had the 16 & 32 ordered since the first week of November. My Sweetwater rep called me 2 weeks ago and said the 32 should ship last week of January and the 16 probably would not ship till mid March.

I'm all with you on the manual. They have to have them finaled by now. I don't understand why they can't or won't put it up. A month ago Raymond said it should be up in a couple weeks. Frustrating.

Mark Smith
Ministry Music & PA
Helping you spread The WORD

SL32 Series III
SL16 Series III
2x 32R
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:20 am
Pioneers - as you are - should have certain qualities, that are heavily needed for the long and frustration way lying ahead. If you are frustrated already, how can you survive the struggles that will come? You are buying a not ready product (SL 32) and a product (SL 16), that was officially announced only yesterday. As you can read in the forums the firmware of the product family is not ready and probably also not the accompanying software (UC Surface, QMix-UC), not to speak of the "ecosystem" (stageboxes) announced for later in 2017. When the SL 32's arrive at the shops and you can start using them, do not expect your product to be perfect. There might be features missing (effects, AVB, DAW integration), there might be bugs and uncompleted features, there might be mechanical/constructional problems... - as it was with all brand-new products and which of course is not unique to PreSonus. You are pioneers. A client, who buys a SL 32 or SL 16 in January 2018, will get different product, so be patient and wait for the things to come. There will always be "a future update" giving you hope. And I'm sure there will be a manual, but first they need to know what to write about. It takes more time to correct wrong information, so it is better to write about what there is than what there should be...

I support pioneers. :thumbup:

Irony off.

SL16 | 32R | 16R | 3* 16M | SW5E

Apple routers | iPads | Alesis iO Docks | Yamaha S112, S15e, S10e, SM12, SM10 | LD Systems Curv 500 | Galaxy Audio Hot Spots | Mac mini | Lenovo Laptop | Studio One Artist 5.0.0 & Pro 3.5.6
by stingray1122 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:04 am
The StudioLive 16 will be shipping in March/April.

The only difference between the 32 and 16 is the physical surface and local IO. Both mixers have the exact same DSP under the hood. Meaning they are both 32 channel mixers with 16 FlexMixes and 4 fixed Subgroups. Since the 16 only has 16 local inputs and 10 local outputs you'll need to access the additional IO from digital connections such as the AVB (with a stagebox or other devices) or USB. In terms of the surface differences, the 16 and 32 have the exact same fat channel and 7" touch screen. On the faders you'll have fewer on the 16 and no "split" layer mode.

We're holding off on the manual because we've made some changes in the workflow of the mixer to improve usability. We don't want an early version out that is incorrect and could cause problems for some people. We've now made those changes and have the manual out to Beta and Support to review for accuracy before posting online.

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus
by camscampbell on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:23 am
I just took a look at this device and I think it would suit my live mixing needs better than the RM32Ai unit, which was what I was considering until today. I'm going to be mixing our band from the stage and I feel that using a laptop wouldn't give me the immediacy I'd have with with physical faders. We've got nothing in our diary in the near future, but I will need time to climb the learning curve.

But if it turns out that I can't wait until March/April - and possibly later as I'm in the UK, would the previous version of the StudioLive 16 still be a worthwhile purchase, or would that be rather silly? We need five stereo monitor mixes.

Windows 10 Professional x64 | Intel Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill RipjawsV 2666Mhz
Studio One Pro 4.6.1 | StudioLive 16 Series III v1.9.14636
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 pm
The SL 1642AI is not really an alternative, because it has 6 mono aux mixes only. If you need 5 stereo mixes, the board has to have (at least) 10 auxes. The RM16AI with its 8 auxes also does not meet your needs. From the "old" series these boards would fit:

SL 2442AI/SL 3242AI | 24/32 inputs | 10/14 auxes
RM/RML32AI | 32 inputs | 16 auxes

It is possible to have physical fader control when using RM mixers. What you need is a CS18AI controller and a single CAT5 cable. For remote control (iPads) an AVB switch and a router have to be added to establish an AVB network. This combination is very flexible. You can add the CS18AI for a bigger gig and use the RM32AI with an iPad when space is limited.

I think for you it really makes sense to wait for the SL 16, simply because it has everything on board (except a router) and offers many more features than the older SL series and the RM family. There will be an "ecosystem" (stageboxes, personal mixers) coming later in 2017, which will make the new SL family complete. Not needing a computer for live recording is a real blessing. This is really a step forward in the history of PreSonus boards.

SL16 | 32R | 16R | 3* 16M | SW5E

Apple routers | iPads | Alesis iO Docks | Yamaha S112, S15e, S10e, SM12, SM10 | LD Systems Curv 500 | Galaxy Audio Hot Spots | Mac mini | Lenovo Laptop | Studio One Artist 5.0.0 & Pro 3.5.6
by camscampbell on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:10 am
Thank you for responding. It was the RM32 I was considering for the reason that you state, but yes it does seem to make sense to hold off on any bookings until the new 16 is released.

Windows 10 Professional x64 | Intel Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill RipjawsV 2666Mhz
Studio One Pro 4.6.1 | StudioLive 16 Series III v1.9.14636
by michaelalgar on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:08 pm
stingray1122 wroteThe StudioLive 16 will be shipping in March/April.

The only difference between the 32 and 16 is the physical surface and local IO. Both mixers have the exact same DSP under the hood. Meaning they are both 32 channel mixers with 16 FlexMixes and 4 fixed Subgroups. Since the 16 only has 16 local inputs and 10 local outputs you'll need to access the additional IO from digital connections such as the AVB (with a stagebox or other devices) or USB. In terms of the surface differences, the 16 and 32 have the exact same fat channel and 7" touch screen. On the faders you'll have fewer on the 16 and no "split" layer mode.

We're holding off on the manual because we've made some changes in the workflow of the mixer to improve usability. We don't want an early version out that is incorrect and could cause problems for some people. We've now made those changes and have the manual out to Beta and Support to review for accuracy before posting online.

So the 16 can also be used as a DAW controller for Logic later in the year? same as the 32?
Please let us know! I am not the only one!
by stingray1122 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:00 pm
Yes, the StudioLive 16 Series III will also be able to be used as a controller for DAWs like Logic with an update coming later in the year.

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus

9 posts
Page 1 of 1