Discuss the new Studio 192 and Studio 192 Mobile here
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I just got the Presonus Studio 192 and the DP88. My issue is (and this would be a deal breaker if I cannot do something about this...as far as keeping it!) that once the computer is off, the sound cuts out.

To explain better, I want to be able to hear my TV sound without having the computer on. I tried hooking up the TV via headphone to TRS cable, as well as optical. Neither works once the computer is shut down. I tried the Studio 192 in both DAC and Preamp mode and it will not work either way.

Is there something I am missing?

Can I possibly hook the corresponding outputs from the Studio 192 to the DP88? I have a Steinberg UR44 and it passes the audio through whether hooked up to the PC or not. For example, my TV is hooked up to inputs 1 and 2 on the Studio 192. Can I get sound if I put the Studio 192 in preamp mode, hook outputs 1 and 2 to inputs on the DP88 and get sound? Or hook it up optically to the DP88 and hear it through the Studio 192?

Please help me, I will likely experiment with this tomorrow but would like some input. This would be a total deal breaker if there is no way to do this (and would be quite a dumb design). If the DP88 can help me achieve this, am all ears.

Thank you in advance.
by matthewgorman on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:29 am
Is the 192 set to be standalone in settings?

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by richardsimon1 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:08 pm
For Stand Alone Mode, I tried it in both DAC and Preamp mode. It does the same exact thing, the power button flashes red and blue like it loses sync as the PC shuts down. Then the TV sound will cut out once it turns blue. Same behavior in both modes. I was thinking Preamp mode would be the ticket but sadly the behavior is the exact same.

I am going to try my idea about the DP88 from the corresponding output. I will report back on how that goes. :thumbup:
by richardsimon1 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:31 pm
Alright, well I tried to hook up the cable box to inputs 7/8 and then hook the corresponding outputs to the DP88. No go, instead I got a loud screeching sound as soon as the PC shut down and the light went from flashing blue/red to solid blue on the Studio 192.

Well, sadly I like the unit for sound quality but I think I am going to have to go with something different. Latency is not impressive for such an expensive piece of equipment and this is a true deal breaker, what a stupid design! I would have to use an audio mixer to do what I want to do, an added expense for nearly $2000 worth of equipment? My $300 Steinberg UR44 does this with ease and automatically.

Any other solutions? If not this is going back to the dealer Friday.
by richardsimon1 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:57 am
I just ordered a MOTU 8A to replace my Studio 192 and DP88 combo that I am returning.

Return reasons:
-Lots of trouble getting the Studio 192 and DP88 to sync up. Yet they are advertised to go together. The DP88 is hooked up properly but basically just sitting there. I have tried everything.
-Latency issues which seem to change constantly(MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X99 Motherboard, USB 3.1 chipset, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, 6850k processor overclocked to 4.3 Ghz. It sure is not my computer holding it back!) I also tried it with a USB 3.0 Pci-express card installed and only it hooked up to it. No change, same issue. My Steinberg UR44 works flawlessly and never a glitch.
-Sound stutters and have to constantly mess with the buffer and settings to get to play sound correctly. Some songs have the first 3-4 seconds missing when trying to play.
-Power cannot stay on, I use a power strip and I constantly have to turn on the Studio 192 seperate from my studio monitors and subwoofer.
-No way to get sound to pass through the unit when it is turned off. It loses sync and then the sound shuts off completely or I get an ear piercing shriek. I have my cable box, TV sound (for Netflix and such), and sound modules hooked into the Studio 192. This was a huge deal breaker for me!
-The Universal Control app is too big to fit on my screen in Windows 10. No way to maximize or resize the app and I have tried to adjust it many times. Very stupid! I tried 1920, 4K, 2K. Same behavior. Disabled High DPI settings on the app. Same behavior. No option to resize the app? Useless. I would have to use a third party program to adjust this...why should I have to do that?

For the price especially, not impressed at all with either the Studio 192 or DP88 and I am very let down by the lack of support from Presonus itself. To fix the issue about the sound turning off when the computer shuts down, they suggest you buy a rack-mount digital mixer! How lovely my $900 computer interface cannot do this! I would have to add a mixer (more space taken up, added expense). My current Steinberg UR44 (can be had for about $250) and my ordered MOTU 8A can do this easily.

In short, on paper this Studio 192 sounds too good to be true. In actual use, it leaves very much to be desired. I was excited to get this, now I see why there is a lot of unhappy customers. I really wanted to like this and keep it for a long time

Oh, thanks for the help Presonus! Makes me want to purchase more of your products in the future.
by ram3 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:27 pm
I am having the same problem. Goes out of sync when I am uploading a song or editing a song.

I have the program on a standalone computer that is offline. OS is Windows 7.

I tried different things as per suggestions from various users but of no avail.
I am also thinking of returning this expensive product that cause more frustrations rather than give peace of mind.
by matthewgorman on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:58 am
ram3 wroteI am having the same problem. Goes out of sync when I am uploading a song or editing a song.

I have the program on a standalone computer that is offline. OS is Windows 7.

I tried different things as per suggestions from various users but of no avail.
I am also thinking of returning this expensive product that cause more frustrations rather than give peace of mind.

Not sure what your issue is. May need more details. I would start a new thread, listing the steps you are taking and what you are trying to accomplish, and we can try to sort it out for you.

This is a user forum, so if you require Presonus to chime in on the issue, I would advise you open a support ticket.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by ram3 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:53 pm
Every time I have to turn off the program and update the univ controller. It works for a bit....sometimes not even for the full song of 7 minutes...and then cuts off suddenly.

We just updated the system from Presonus site. Still the same problem.

Why can't Presonus identify the issue and remedy it?

It is becoming very frustrating. Regret buying the equipment and Professional 3 software from Presonus.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1