StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I realize there's probably tons of different ways to go about doing this.....wanted to get advice from folks who've done it on a basic/efficient/simple way to do so:

For live music situations. Right now when I'm tweaking the EQ in the PA during setup, I run some of my standard music tracks and walk the room a bit and listen, doing adjustments via Ipad/VSL. My Ipod has the tracks, and I simply plug it into a channel (through a DI), and start one of the tracks. This works fine, and the VSL Remote on the Ipad of course lets me make EQ adjustments from anywhere in the room. What it can't do is switch to a different track....for that I need to walk back to FOH position and manually change on the Ipod.

So, the question is: what's the most efficient/simple way to play tracks through the PA for soundchecking purposes, and have the ability to change tracks via VSL Remote on the Ipad?

I'm assuming I should play music from the laptop (not via an Ipod), and use something like Splashtop to remotely control it, yes?

The rig in question =
StudioLive 16.0.2
basic Macbook
AirportExpress router
older Ipad2
(and at the moment, music stored on an Ipod Classic)

thanks ahead of time for your help,
d.
by matthewgorman on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:46 am
Use Itunes on the computer, and you can use Itunes remote on the ipad to control the songs.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by sjc193 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:54 pm
davem801 wroteI'm assuming I should play music from the laptop (not via an Ipod), and use something like Splashtop to remotely control it, yes?

This is what I do and it works great! "SplashTop Personal" app

The other plus is that I can actually run UC Surface from the Laptop (through SplashTop on the iPad) and I then get the RTA/Spectrometer for every channel in and out of the mixer and I still use it as a touch app no problem (Windows 8.1), really sweet!

There are settings and things to know to make it work for the first time without frustration (I believe that is what keeps people from using it), you need to use it on a network and not through the internet so there actually is no need to set up a spashtop account at all, also 1024/768 seems to work the best with no latency.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by davem801 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:50 pm
To be clear....

I would send audio to the mixer via the 1/8" jack on the laptop, through a DI, and then into a given mixer channel, yes?

Or is there someway to utilize the Firewire connection already linking the laptop and mixer?

d.
by SwitchBack on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm
You can map the Macbook's audio to any pair of mixer inputs using the firewire connection.
by davem801 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:29 pm
I'm using a 1602.....in this instance is my only option to use up input channels 1 and 2?

This seems to be what StudioLiveClassicSoftwareReferenceManual 2.8 Steps 7-9 is telling me.
(under "Configuring StudioLive for Core Audio (Mac only)")

I'd actually rather use a different input channel, and sum to mono at that. I have a Radial AV-DI which does this....via a standard 1/8" stereo audio cable from the headphones output on the laptop (or Ipod). But if can dispense with that cable and DI, and utilize the Firewire cable, I'd like to.

d.
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 am
The advantage of using 1&2 as the default channels for audio from your computer/DAW to the mixer is that on the mixer 1&2 also go to the firewire button in the monitor section. But it is up to you.

As for making L and R go to a single channel I never tried that. Maybe possible, maybe not.
by sjc193 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:47 am
You can definitely send the stereo audio from say iTunes for instance to any channel(s) on the mixer through FireWire. However I only know how to accomplish that on a Windows PC. For Mac it had something to do with the MIDI/Audio setup in the Mac (but I never had a Mac so I don't know any of the details).

If you can get the audio to come in on the FireWire input of the monitor section, you can use that instead of using up channels on the mixer. Which is great, but you may not have any FAT channel to use on it and you may not be able to mess with that input using SL Remote either.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by davem801 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:49 pm
Well that didn't quite work.

I just got back from messing around a bit with this. The method I chose was to play the music using ITunes on the laptop, and controlling it with Apple's own ITunes Remote app on the IPad. (using an Airport Express and a dedicated network).
I did not try to use Firewire for the audio input, and just went with the simpler laptop headphone jack to DI to mixer channel input route.

It did work.....sort of. I was able to change tracks, play/stop, and otherwise navigate around ITunes remotely with the IPad so that's good. But ITunes itself (on the laptop) kept freezing up.....the tracks still played so it didn't shut down, but all control kept getting locked out for up to 6-8 minutes (had the little spinning Apple icon the whole time). I couldn't stop/pause the track, adjust volume, or even shut ITunes down.

As well, and much worse, my StudioLive Remote on the Ipad was also being wonky. It would freeze for a moment here and there, and sometimes the app would simply shut off and I had to relaunch it. And relaunching itself was sometimes sticky and troublesome.

So it seems like the two apps.....ITunes Remote, and StudioLive Remote....don't get along and they bung each other up. Hmmmmm.
SL Remote works just fine when IT Remote isn't active.

d.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1