Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
have you some experiences with SW8-GB and presonus? i need some avb switch cheaper than motu. :)
Thanks
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:18 am
As long as I follow the discussion there has NEVER been an real alternative to the MOTU AVB switch. It's the only one on the market, that works. 309 Euro is a lot of money for a simple tool, but if you want your AVB network to work, you have to get the MOTU.

Things will change with the SL series III, which uses a different AVB concept, but let me ask: DO YOU REALLY NEED AVB...? AVB is needed for special services and complex combinations, but not anytime and not for everything. Amazingly many things can work based on a direct etherent connection OR with a router connected to the board. If you don't want to spend the money on an AVB switch and a router, then let us know what your configuration is (SL, RM, CS...?). Maybe users here can show you new ways to go.

By the way: Getting the MOTU AVB switch is a "set & forget" thing. It works stupid perfect.
by matthewseymour on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:19 am
You'd need to provide a bit more information on the switch you're looking at. A quick google for SW8-GB finds a Pakedge model that doesn't claim to support AVB.

In which case, no. Won't work for AVB.

There's nothing special about the motu AVB switch, just that it's the cheapest AVB compliant switch on the market. It's insanely expensive for what it is and needing a magic switch is just one of the reasons I don't like AVB.
by matthewseymour on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:27 am
Just taken a further look at the Pakedge range and they don't currently have an AVB switch at all. Their top of the range model says it's AVB capable with a firmware update which still says it's coming in 2016.
by peterpolaek on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:37 am
Thank you for your replies.

I need this switch for my rm32ai -> cs18ai and router with tablet. With AVB i can hear every input in my earphoes f.e. or i can send sound from cs18ai to RM32. So i need to Live sound :)
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:57 am
If you want to have/use audio at your CS, you will need the AVB switch. Otherwise a direct ethernet connection (just one CAT5 cable) is enough for controlling. It is reported that the level of CS headphone out is not very "impressive", so for live sound situations it is recommended to add a small headphone amplifier. Doesn't need to be high audio quality, just loud... ;-)

There is NO AUDIO transmitted wirelessly, only control information.
by matthewseymour on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:24 am
When you get an AVB switch you want to connect both the RM and the CS to AVB ports, then your wireless router to the standard ethernet port (non AVB). I don't think the last bit is absolutely critical, but it's good practice.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1