Discuss the new PreSonus CS18Ai
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just recently bought an RML32ai and a cs18ai to control it, and I need to use the audio out and headphones jack on the cs, but they are not working. I have updated firmware on both, connected them directly together and set ip to static self assigned, but still cant get and audio from the cs. The mixer works great, sounds great, and i love controlling it with my ipad and computer, but I need headphones... Am I missing something? Any help would be apprciated, I have an open ticket with support but it takes a few business days to get a response and so far its not helping. Thanks
by bubbaguth on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:01 pm
Review your manual where it talks about the different methods of connecting to an RM Mixer:

Connecting the StudioLive CS18AI to one StudioLive RM Mixer Your StudioLive CS18AI can be connected to a single
StudioLive RM-series mixer in any of these ways:
• Using an Ethernet cable from the CS18AI directly to an RM- series mixer, with no switch or router in between.
• Using Ethernet cables to connect both the CS18AI and an RM-series mixer to an AVB switch.
• Using Ethernet cables to connect both the CS18AI and an RM-series mixer to a standard Ethernet router.
• Using the included USB Wi-Fi LAN adapter to connect the CS18AI wirelessly to a standard Ethernet router that is connected to an RM-series mixer.
Note: The last two configurations use standard Ethernet instead of AVB, which enables you to control your RM-series mixer but doesn’t support AVB audio operation.

What you are trying to accomplish will require an AVB Switch in order for the CS18 to process audio. The MOTU AVB switch is the most common.

Lot's of information available that discusses all of this on this forum and PreSonus website.

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by lucky67 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:40 pm
I had the same problem the solution is that AVB with audio only works with 41 or 48 khz and not supporting the higher samplerates.
by zachrezucha on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:50 am
An avb switch should not be required when they are connected directly together with no switch in between though right? And I have been on the forums and anywhere I can find information but haven't been able to get this working. I did try turning the sample rate down to 41 but still nothing. There just doesn't seem to be that many options for things to go wrong here other than having a defective avb card. It works so good other than this headphone issue, but I need the output to go to the computer in the back for sermon recording, and every week it's not working we have no recording.
by sjc193 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:32 am
zachrezucha wroteAn avb switch should not be required when they are connected directly together with no switch in between though right?

Correct, you don't need an AVB switch.

But you do need all Firmware and Software to be up to date! Maybe double check that. I have heard of some updates needing to be done with a full firmware recovery too. . .

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by wahlerstudios on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:09 am
Well, information is indeed contradictory. Officially said from PreSonus is that audio works with a simple ethernet connection. In the manuals it says different, like bubbaguth has quoted. And here is one more quote:

StudioLive CS18AI Visual Quick Start Guide, chapter 3.1
NOTE: If you do not use an AVB compatible switch you will only have control between the CS18AI and RM mixer. You will NOT have audio between the CS18AI and RM mixer since the audio transport requires an AVB network.

Besides the 88.1/96 kHz problem (which also concerns Dante) it is obvious that you need an AVB switch to make audio available at a CS18AI. bubbaguth should know it. He works with RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI... But it would be nice to hear an official statement from PreSonus - and even better a correction of (not any longer valid) information. Are the manuals our reference, or not...?
by matthewgorman on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:53 am
You do not need an AVB switch in direct connect environment. A direct connection is the AVB network. You need to verify that both are set to static self assigned. Then you need to source the inputs/outputs correctly either for local or network, depending on what you are trying to do.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by bubbaguth on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:25 am
Whoa - Yes, I really stand corrected....sorry about that. You don't need an AVB switch for direct connection. Been so long with a switch, forgot what life is like without one. Like Wahler pointed out...things have changed over the past couple of years and it was stuck in my head that you did....however, after re-reading what I posted from a more recent manual, it's clear that this configuration does not and I didn't catch that. I think this changed at a firmware release that enabled AVB functionality on the RM card. I just referenced my older hard copy manual, and it does say you need the AVB switch . In a newer manual I quoted, that section changed and you no longer need one.

I have found that headphone output on CS in comparison with the RM can be much less depending on where your preamp gains are set and your solo level is set in UC Surface. Make sure your preamps are nice and hot for testing.

Tested this config on my rig and everything works good.

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by zachrezucha on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:55 am
Ok, so third time is the charm. I re-updated the firmware for the third time the same exact way and it works now! I did not have to do a hard recovery, just had to perform a regular firmware update and set to self assigned ips and it works perfect. I also plugged the Wi-Fi adapter into the rm so I have iPod/computer control. Works flawless. Quite an upgrade from the old analog board and damaged snake that buzzed haha. Thanks for the help! Now I have a computer plugged in to the monitor out of the cs in the sound booth for audio recording with no lag or buzz.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1