Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a show coming up where I will be mixing on an X32 for the first time..... If anyone has any technical comments/tips to share especially in comparison to an RM console point of view, this could assist me in creating some sort of reference point. I have watched a lot of X32 tutorials, so perhaps I am feeling a bit over confident at the moment. However, I really have no idea how the head amps respond and other processing such as parametric, gates, comps, etc. I should be set with main EQ and FX already.

Please don't post any comments bashing either side, but if anyone has any pointers, gotchas or other opinions to share, I would love to hear from those that have good experience with both products.

Thanks!

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by sjc193 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:05 pm
Similar to you, I had to do a gig on an X32 this summer. So I only have one experience with it but I'll tell what I did.

I downloaded the iPad App for the X32 and practiced with that before the gig, just to figure out where everything was so I could navigate it quickly, luckily they already had the wifi connected and it was real easy to connect to the mixer with my iPad. I never touched the board the whole time (although it was neat to see the faders move on their own)

The only thing that stumped me was that they had a stage box there and I initially ran the Ethernet cable up the hall and plugged it into the router switch. I was connected with the IPad but I had no signal on anything! We had to call the normal sound guy who was on vacation and that's when we found that the Ethernet cable had to plug into the back of the mixer into the AES67 slot that very much looks like an XLR input at first glance, but at second glance you see it is an Ethernet cable input!

Once I had that stage box plugged in correctly (which they told me they knew how to do without the normal sound guy and it wouldn't be a problem but turned out false) everything started working perfectly and the show went off without a hitch. I actually got them sounding much better and saved the scene with my name on it in case they called me again. Again, I ran the whole thing from my iPad which was simply easier to figure out than the board itself.

The EQs and compressors all worked fine, took a little getting used to with actual levels as opposed to the disconnected demo version, but it really didn't take long. I will say I like UC Surface better. . . ;)

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by roblof on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:07 pm
Download the older version (v2.x) of the pc/mac app if you want to get a feel for how the real console is laid out. Download the latest version (v3.x) for a better user experience but that doesn't look like the console.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by bubbaguth on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:22 pm
@roblof - Interesting - I worked on an XAir at a church a few times earlier this year and the 3.x software looks very similar to that interface. The 2.x like you said, looks more like the X32 mixer. So technically, I do have some experience with the Behringer product line, but I didn't really count the XAir as real hands on experience.

Thanks you guys for the input. Tomorrow will be interesting. It's nice that I will have a buddy of mine who owns an X32 by my side to make sure I get things going ok.

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro

4 posts
Page 1 of 1