Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
19 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
I'm mainly writing in Studio One and then moving it over to Notion 6. Now i have an accordion part, where i want a grand clef. But when sending it over (Send to Notion) it does not become a grand clef (since it's not recognised as a piano ;), and if i go into score setup and "force" it into a grand clef, all the notes end up on the treble clef. This regardless of the Import Midi section about Grand Clef btw, since when it arrives from S1 it automatically makes a single clef.

Now are there any way to take that single clef, and have it convert it into a grand clef and automatically split the notes into a treble and a bass clef?

/Henrik
by kipcrawford on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:38 pm
If you're speaking of the Grand Staff....go to the upper right corner in Notion and select the "Score Setup" Icon (gear). In score setup, find the staff you need changed and select the Gear icon, then select the "Notation/Tab" and then select Grand staff. This will make a Treble staff and a Bass staff (piano) for the instrument. Hopefully this is what you're looking for.
by henrikbengtsson on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:37 am
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately that will only change the clef, it will not actually split up the notes into the bass and treble clef. So you end up with an empty bass clef and the treble filled with all the notes (where the bass is then waaay low just like in the single clef)
by Surf.Whammy on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:50 pm
This might provide the solution:

Problems when importing a midi file into notion 4 (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

THOUGHTS

There are several strategies listed in the aforementioned post, and I think at least one of them will work . . .

In particular, consider the post by forum member Skip later in the thread . . .

It's elegant and it works nicely!

Exporting as MIDI and then importing the exported MIDI is another way, but using a DAW application as an intermediary to do the grand staff bass+treble split definitely works . . .

You might need to do a bit of experimenting, but there is a way to do the split as desired to the bass and treble clefs . . .

Keep us posted if you need help with this . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by johnnewberry on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:08 pm
henrikbengtsson wroteNow are there any way to take that single clef, and have it convert it into a grand clef and automatically split the notes into a treble and a bass clef?

Hello.
When importing an MIDI file, currently Notion-6 will only recognize a few of Studio One 3.3 keyboard instruments and apply a "Grand Staff".
    A workaround is to change the instrument in Studio One 3.3 before exporting the MIDI file.
The Studio One 3.3 Grand Presence keyboard is recognized by Notion as an keyboard instrument and an Grand Staff is applied when imported.

The image below shows an example where an Studio One instrument with the name Bagpipe was used when recording the track.
Then, before exporting the MIDI file the instrument was changed, replacing Bagpipe with the Grand Presence instrument.
When the MIDI file was imported, Notion applied the Grand Staff.
Clef Exporting.JPG

Also the Notion-6 Preferences> MIDI Import tab must have Use grand staff checkbox selected.

Grand Staff setting.JPG

,Newberry

:arrow: .
by henrikbengtsson on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:46 pm
Yepp. a few of these workarounds do work fine. It would be nice though to have an option inside notion to convert/switch between a single clef and a grand clef, and have it divide up based on the import setting. So for example, you import a single midi channel a single clef. And tell Notion to convert this to a double clef, split at C4 (for example). Seems like a fairly simple feature for them to create, especially since the conversion code is already in place in the import function. Where do i put in feature requests again? :D

Thank you all for the tips and tricks btw :D

/Henrik
by ionian on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:41 am
I'm going through this right now and it's quite maddening! All I want to do is import midi data to notion just to read it. Since Studio One doesn't have any kind of staff view and reading piano roll isn't musical in the slightest, I'm just trying to get midi data sent over so I can see what the artist actually played.

No matter what I name the track, it insists on making it one staff and not a grand piano staff. I can't seem to make a single staff into a grand piano staff without having it split the notes between the staves - it insists on making one staff with all the music and the bass staff empty.

Notion seems like a nice idea but it's far from ready for prime time if it's impossible to tell it to turn a single staff into a grand piano staff and have it split the notes. It's really quite frustrating. Of course it'd be nice if Studio One might start developing some kind of staff view because the "Send to Notion" thing isn't really cutting it.

"For every man who has ever lived, in this Universe there shines a star."
- Arthur C. Clarke
by Surf.Whammy on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:31 pm
ionian wroteNo matter what I name the track, it insists on making it one staff and not a grand piano staff. I can't seem to make a single staff into a grand piano staff without having it split the notes between the staves - it insists on making one staff with all the music and the bass staff empty.

If you have the current versions of Studio One 3 Professional and NOTION 6, then It's easy to do on the Mac in a few simple steps . . . :+1

THOUGHTS

I don't have the Accordion instrument in NOTION 6, but Studio One 3 Professional has a set of Accordion instruments (as you know) . . .

For reference, my primary Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application is Digital Performer (MOTU); but I use Studio One 3 Professional for editing MIDI that I use for Realivox Blue (Realitone), since (a) Studio One 3 Professional has an excellent MIDI Editor and (b) I can transfer from NOTION 6 to Studio One 3 Professional and vice-versa very easily without needing to disable ReWire . . .

[NOTE: I do everything on the Mac; and this is the way it works on the Mac. I have no way to verify how it works in the Windows universe; so if you are doing this on a Windows machine, then you might need to disable ReWire in NOTION 6. Regardless, you need to enable the "Allow Network Discovery" option in NOTION 6 Preferences. As noted, I also keep ReWire enabled in NOTION 6 Preferences. The key to doing the transfers back-and-forth is to start NOTION 6 first. Then start Studio One 3 Professional. This makes NOTION 6 the ReWire host controller; and it prevents Studio One 3 Professional from participating in the ReWire session, because Studio One 3 Professional does not support running as a ReWire slave . . . ]

It took me about 45 minutes to discover how to do what you want to do, where about 30 minutes was focused on how to get MIDI data into Studio One 3 Professional via a ".MID" file; since this is not something I do very often and basically I zoned-out and forgot how to do it . . . :P

I was pondering the idea of reading the Studio One 3 Professional User Guide; but (a) that's a lot of work and (b) I'm lazy . . .

So, I found a ".MID" file on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation and did some experiments . . .

(1) In a new Studio One 3 Professional project, I created an Accordion 8+8 instrument via the "Type" view in the Instrument Browser, noting that at the moment I have no idea what "8+8" indicates in the Accordion world, but so what . . .

(2) I dragged and dropped the ".MID" file onto the newly created Accordion 8+8 instrument lane; and the MIDI notes appeared; but they were all treble clef, since the notes ranged from C3 to C4, more or less . . .

(3) Then I selected all the notes in the Studio One 3 Professional MIDI Editor and pasted them into the same MIDI lane, followed by dragging the newly pasted notes downward by two octaves. This created bass notes; and the "copy-paste-drag" technique is what I use to create harmony parts for a Realivox Blue melody. It works the same way in Melodyne (Celemony), but with DNA blobs. Very nice!

(4) Now I had a bunch of MIDI notes for the Accordion 8+8 instrument in Studio One 3 Professional; and there were bass-clef range notes and treble-clef range notes . . .

(5) I tried to send the notes to NOTION 6 from Studio One 3 Professional--probably doing exactly what you have been doing--and I got the same results. It did not appear to be working with respect to splitting the notes correctly to a Grand Staff, no matter what I tried . . .

(6) Then I had an epiphany, which is the way it works here in the sound isolation studio . . .

(7) The epiphany is that in NOTION 6 I was looking at sequencer staves rather than music notation . . .

(8) So i did a few more experiments and quickly found the solution . . .

SOLUTION

[IMPORTANT: Start NOTION 6 first. Then start Studio One 3 Professional . . . ]

(1) Send the Accordion 8+8 MIDI to NOTION 6, where it will appear on a correctly named staff in sequencer (or "piano roll") form . . .

(2) Do not do anything at this point except switch NOTION 6 to Score Setup mode . . .

(3) In NOTION 6 Score Setup mode, change the Accordion 8+8 staff to a Grand Staff . . .

(4) Exit NOTION 6 Score Setup mode . . .

(5) The Accordion 8+8 staff now will be a Grand Staff and all the notes will be shown in sequencer (or "piano roll") form . . .

(6) Click on the "Convert to Notation" menu item on the "Tools" menu, and the sequencer (or "piano roll") format notes will convert to music notation and will be split correct on the Grand Staff . . .

VISUAL STEPS

[NOTE: I used a different Studio One 3 Professional Accordion, since it looked more complex and I wanted to try it on several of the Accordions . . . ]

MIDI Data in Studio Onn 3 Professional

Option for Send To NOTION Step

AFTER Send from Studio One 3 Professional to NOTION 6

AFTER Change Staff to Grand Staff in NOTION 6 Score Setup

AFTER Convert to Notation in NOTION 6

SUMMARY

Studio One 3 Professional and NOTION 6 do a lot more than is documented in the User Guides . . .

If everything were documented in extraordinary detail, then it would fill a large library and take a group of scribes at least a decade to document, by which time it would be wrong, since it would apply to a version from 10 years ago . . .

This forum is an excellent source for information on how to do stuff that appears to be difficult or impossible to do . . .

If it actually is impossible to do, then someone probably will devise a workaround . . .

P. S. I did this in Studio One 3.5.2 Professional and NOTION 6.3.454 on the MacPro running Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan) here in the sound isolation studio . . .

Once I discovered how to do it, I did it starting with blank projects several times . . .

It works, and once you do it a few times, it takes just a few minutes and some easy steps, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

The Surf Whammys

by jpettit on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:49 pm
There have been a few tips here that are key.
It is based off of the track name in S1.

Grand piano, Piano, and a few other key names.

You can temporarily change your Accordion to Piano to send it across.

Yes it has been brought up that that is not a good approach and should clearly be an option when transferring any track from S1.

If not already th Notion users should be using the voting system in Answers to create and vote on Feature Requests

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:22 pm
Isn't there a switch in preferences under MIDI Import to turn off grand staves?

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by jpettit on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:24 pm
It is ignored in the UCNET transfer process.

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Nip on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:39 am
This seems crazy complicated on Notion.

In Sonar you just select the clip and choose Staff View(if we consider this is like over in Notion now then).
Then select Layout and up comes a dialog where you select which clefs you want like bass+treble and the split note and done.

You do this at any time as simple as that - if you find you chose the wrong split not just do it again.

Integration and transfer to Notion is pretty good by now - but how complicated simple things like spreading over clefs can be - really, really, really complicated.

Since playing keyboard to all kinds of parts like strings, brass and what not - this is useful to get more readable score. I don't go for that particular instrument like a Bb Trumpet or should be noted for a trumpet player - if I play twohanded I just want a reference score for what I did.

Like for strings I have a preset for Dimension that do cellos in left hand and strings in right - so I play this twohanded and then want score for it as reference what I played.

When doing brass has have rigged saxophone in left hand and do trumpet+trombone in right hand. Same thing, I want double staff on this two handed performance.

And only on import or when recording from keyboard - why not at any time when in Notion?????
And to get Grand staff on import it has to be named piano or no go.

I tried a couple of hours and then just ditched Notion until this is thought through.

It's so darn simple really....

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by roland-volkerrupp on Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:12 am
@Surf.Whammy

Thank you! I already burnt an hour trying to figure out how to properly import a piano with Grand Staff as renaming the track in S1 was not working for me.

Nonetheless, a painless export/import Grand Staff process from S1 to Notion is a feature that the Presonus team need to implement.
by jpettit on Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:04 am
This is an old thread but unfortunately this is still the
Answer.
viewtopic.php?p=158620#p158620

It is purely based on name.

by dharmendralatoriya on Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:33 am
I finally found a way to do this and it was quite easy. Just go the track that you want to send to the notion, go to the midi roll or piano roll, then go to the notation view you will see on the top, your midi data will be converted into notations, but obviously, you will see everything merge into the treble clef, to solve this you only need to apply a preset here. in the notation view, you will see three options, symbols, tracks, and layout. go to the track- then apply preset, you will see a drop-down menu and select whatever instrument that you want to send to the notion, I was doing for piano, so I selected piano preset and done, after that I sent the data to the notion and it was in a correct format. I hope this helps!
by charlesbarfoot on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:48 am
Hi there, I had the same issue, when I imported a piano part from S1 (4.6) notion brought it up on just the treble clef. Finally my solution to get it on grand staff was to save the file in notion, close it and reimport the file, then it came up in grand staff. I hope this helps!
by charlesbarfoot on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:14 am
More specifically, to get a piano part that is showing up on a single staff to appear in grandstaff, import the midi file and then EXPORT MIDI it as a midi file - NOT “save as” like I said earlier. Sorry! Notion then automatically converts the midi information that was on one staff to a piano grand staff! I included the piano in the title but I am not sure if that is necessary!

Charlie B
by jpettit on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:25 am
The code has subtle changes over the years.

It used to be purely keyword based.

Then when S1 added notation capability you can easily make it a grand staff there as send to Notion.

There is the import and MIDI with an option to split the staff at a specific key. That approach has been there all along.

It is a "right mouse context menu" or option selections for various clefs in S1 now which is nice, and we would hope to see the same ease of use in Notion on their next major release.

by Surf.Whammy on Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:13 pm
henrikbengtsson wroteHi all,
I'm mainly writing in Studio One and then moving it over to Notion 6. Now i have an accordion part, where i want a grand clef. But when sending it over (Send to Notion) it does not become a grand clef (since it's not recognised as a piano ;), and if i go into score setup and "force" it into a grand clef, all the notes end up on the treble clef. This regardless of the Import Midi section about Grand Clef btw, since when it arrives from S1 it automatically makes a single clef.

Now are there any way to take that single clef, and have it convert it into a grand clef and automatically split the notes into a treble and a bass clef?

/Henrik

There are two aspects to this, and there is a solution for both aspects . . . :)

STUDIO ONE ASPECT

Since you are starting in Studio One, the first aspect involves naming the staff or MIDI Instrument Track "Piano", since this is what Studio One uses to determine what to send to NOTION (single staff or Grand staff) . . .

As I recall, "Synthesizer" also works, but "Accordion" does not work as the necessary name . . .

NOTION ASPECT

Firstly, you need to configure "MIDI Import" in NOTION Preferences to use a Grand Staff with a specific split point, which in this example is "C4" and in scientific pitch notation in the US is "Middle C", although in some European countries it will be "C3" . . .

[NOTE: Using the horizontal slider, you can set the split point as you desire. In this example, it's set to "C4" . . . ]

The next step is to select all the notes for the currently single staff with notes for the Accordion and then to do a MIDI Export . . .

[NOTE; When doing this directly in NOTION, you do not need to change the name of staff from "Accordion" to "Piano", but I changed the name for the screen captures. Later, I changed it to 'Accordion" for the single staff and redid the MIDI export and MIDI Import to verify "Accordion" works just as well as "Piano", which it does . . . ]

Then do a MIDI import using the MIDI file you just exported, which will create a new NOTION Score . . .

Now you can copy the newly split Grand Staff and paste it to your NOTION Score . . .

If you want to send this to Studio One, then you probably should rename the NOTION Grand Staff from "Accordion" to "Piano", at least during the sending to Studio One step . . .

The Surf Whammys

19 posts
Page 1 of 1