Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
my current setup with the RM32 as a monitor mixer works great, using one side of copper split with the other going to FOH) including a wi-fi router for using iPads and the Firewire connection to run UC Surface and to multitrack shows.. Future tours are probably going to require something digital at FOH, hence the Dante questions...

If I swap the AVB card in my RM32 out for a Dante card to send audio to FOH, can I still use the Dante Ethernet connection to the wi-fi router to hardwire to a computer for UC Surface?

Using the Dante Ethernet connection only, and connected to my existing switch/router, will the RM still be available to iPads on the wi-fi network?

DHCP still needs to be served to the wireless units, should I make the Dante units have static IPs?

Will the Computer connected to the FW on the RM still see the analog outputs and let me use Capture to record a show?

Dante is not supposed to like wi-fi, if the Dante units are always hardwired, does the wi-fi side matter?

Will this require separate switch, instead of the gigabit router I use currently?

Does having a couple of VLans make this easier? Making the current router use a couple of VLans and then using a couple of switches to run both sides of things (Surface and Dante) and just a have static route setup between them? (I have enough network experience to make this work)

If none of this is possible, is the easiest route just to connect the RM with it's wireless dongle to the existing wi-fi router and have a separate switch for the Dante units themselves? (I've never had great success in wirelessly connecting the RM to a router. The hardwire connection has never failed to work)

I've poked around in the forum and learned as much as I can.. thanks for anyone who can point me in the right direction.
by matthewseymour on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:57 am
mrgkeys2 wroteIf I swap the AVB card in my RM32 out for a Dante card to send audio to FOH, can I still use the Dante Ethernet connection to the wi-fi router to hardwire to a computer for UC Surface?

Yes. This is exactly what I do. Wifi router is hard wired to the RM and any other Dante devices. Wifi works for control.

mrgkeys2 wroteUsing the Dante Ethernet connection only, and connected to my existing switch/router, will the RM still be available to iPads on the wi-fi network?

Yes, the Dante interface also carries control data and afaik doesn't change the number of UC clients the RM can support

mrgkeys2 wroteDHCP still needs to be served to the wireless units, should I make the Dante units have static IPs?

Up to you. There's no right answer here. Personally I've gone for static addresses for the Dante kit and then use DHCP for any control clients. Static IP address is labelled on each device to aid troubleshooting. Make sure you have configured your DHCP pool correctly to exclude the static addresses you assign to things.

mrgkeys2 wroteWill the Computer connected to the FW on the RM still see the analog outputs and let me use Capture to record a show?

I haven't used that facility myself but I don't believe anything to do with firewire changes with the Dante card so in theory, yes.

mrgkeys2 wroteDante is not supposed to like wi-fi, if the Dante units are always hardwired, does the wi-fi side matter?

Dante needs deterministic latency to work properly. Wifi, by it's very nature, guarantees very little and certainly not latency... hence Audinate have simply said it doesn't work. However you can send Dante over a point to point wifi bridge. I've seen this used on a few occasions. It probably needs higher latency set, and the connection needs to be good... plus the channel count will be limited by bandwidth, but you can do it. Just don't complain to Audinate if it doesn't work because it's explicitly not supported.

For your setup the wifi is for control only, so it needs to perform adequately for that purpose but won't affect Dante at all.

(edit) Worth noting that Dante defaults to unicast transmission, but it can do multicast which is useful if lots of channels are being sent to multiple receivers. In this case it's important the wifi blocks multicast. That's something that usually requires an enterprise AP rather than a domestic router. It wouldn't affect the Dante transmission but it would wipe out control over wifi.

mrgkeys2 wroteWill this require separate switch, instead of the gigabit router I use currently?

Dante is best with gigabit as it offers lower latency, plus higher channel count. If your existing router has enough ports that's fine. If you start being part of a larger system and growing things then using a proper managed gigabit switch is worth considering. If Dante is sharing space on a reasonably busy network you can consider using QOS to prioritise the Dante traffic. For small setups there's no need.

mrgkeys2 wroteDoes having a couple of VLans make this easier? Making the current router use a couple of VLans and then using a couple of switches to run both sides of things (Surface and Dante) and just a have static route setup between them? (I have enough network experience to make this work)

No, because the RM doesn't put the Dante and control data on separate vlans so you can't separate them. A friend of mine uses the A&H kit which carries audio from the stagebox over 100Mb Ethernet, layer 2 only. So he uses a gigabit switch and vlans to take the control and audio data over the same link. Dante is layer 3 so it's already putting everything on the same network. If you were doing complex stuff on the network, maybe running video streaming or other data services, in addition to QoS you could put the audio stuff in a separate vlan if you wanted...

mrgkeys2 wroteIf none of this is possible, is the easiest route just to connect the RM with it's wireless dongle to the existing wi-fi router and have a separate switch for the Dante units themselves? (I've never had great success in wirelessly connecting the RM to a router. The hardwire connection has never failed to work)

The wireless connectivity of the RM is a complete waste of time. I'm sure it only exists because marketing said it was necessary. Don't use it.

mrgkeys2 wroteI've poked around in the forum and learned as much as I can.. thanks for anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Hope that's all helpful.
by xaviertribolet on Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:34 pm
matthewseymour wrote
mrgkeys2 wroteIf I swap the AVB card in my RM32 out for a Dante card to send audio to FOH, can I still use the Dante Ethernet connection to the wi-fi router to hardwire to a computer for UC Surface?

Yes. This is exactly what I do. Wifi router is hard wired to the RM and any other Dante devices. Wifi works for control.

mrgkeys2 wroteUsing the Dante Ethernet connection only, and connected to my existing switch/router, will the RM still be available to iPads on the wi-fi network?

Yes, the Dante interface also carries control data and afaik doesn't change the number of UC clients the RM can support

Really? I connect my RML32AI Dante card to my computers (OSX and Windows 10) over ethernet. I can record with Dante Virtual Soundcard, but I cannot use Universal Control. It shows an RMl32 is connected with 169.1.254.28 IP with the logo wifi, but I cannot access to the console. An error message says : Limited or no connectivity to : RML32AI. When I use AVB card, there isn't any problem. Any suggestion?
by Karyn on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:30 am
You mentioned WiFi...

do you have a wifi dongle in the RML32? Take it out...
Switch off wifi on every computer that is hard wired to network.

Your system should be setup like this..

Router (with wifi) to provide IP with DHCP
(optional gigabit switch to add more network ports if required)
RML32, computers and all other Dante equipment connected directly to router (switch) NO WIFI
iPads, iPhones, other non-Dante computers connected to wifi

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by matthewseymour on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:20 am
Yes, this definitely works. It sounds like you don't have DHCP working on the wired network port. Could it be that you're switching the RM and the router on at the same time? The RM will boot faster than most routers and then fail to get a DHCP address. Personally I prefer to set a static IP address for my RM, which you can do in the latest firmware.

Dante interfaces will fairly quickly settle on autoconf IP address if the DHCP doesn't work, the 169.x.x.x address you mention is an autoconf, so that it will "Just Work" TM.

What I can tell you is my typical setup looks something like this pic.
audiothings - Page 1.jpeg

All audio is Dante, control is some UC and the mix system I use. Key hardware (RM, mix engine, Wifi APs and switch) are all using static addresses. One of the two APs is serving DHCP for other clients.
by matthewseymour on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:07 am
Also, I'd add that an RM can have two IP addresses. One on wifi and the other on the wired connection, and you can connect to either.

I consider the wifi capabilities of the RM mixers to be a complete waste of time. It's very poor, I'm sure was only added at to keep the marketing dept happy and shouldn't be relied upon. Because you always need to connect it to a wifi network, you will probably have a wifi AP/router that you control. Just plug that in.
by Karyn on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:32 am
The ONLY time you'd use the wifi dongle in an RM is when directly connecting RM to SL with cat5 and no switch. Then you use wifi dongle to connect to router so you can control from iPad..

For every other network option, connect RM/SL hardwired to switch/router and do NOT use the wifi dongle.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by xaviertribolet on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:09 pm
Thank you very much Karyn and Matthewseymour,
I'm very happy because it worked when I started first my computer... and then RML32ai. I cannot try Dante Virtual Soundcard with this computer since i only have one license, but I guess it will work... Thank you once again

8 posts
Page 1 of 1