Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is there someway to get my sl24.4.2 to run a digital snake ???? ,so over running massive multicore , but don't want to buy a new desk
by roblof on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:46 pm
The behringer s16/s32 or midas dl16/dl32 can work as a standalone digital snake connected by a single cat5.

Add extra ada8200 for additional outputs. As there exist no 24 ch versions either 16ch is the best option or you need to go the full 32ch of inputs and wasting eight..

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by wahlerstudios on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:21 pm
Yes, this might work, but it costs quite some money. And I am not sure, if it is really usable. A "digital snake" needs analog/digital conversion at the input side (stage) and digital/analog conversion at the output side (FOH). And it goes on. There would be another A/D conversion at the input side of the SL 2442, and another D/A conversion at the output side. So in total there would be four analog/digital conversions, which continously add time (latency). I bet you will hear it, especially when you work with in-ear systems.

So, my answer to the question is: If you want network, you have to think of a new mixer. But the new mixer can also be smaller - or bigger. It is a chance to move on. Or you leave your SL 2442 on stage and mix with an iPad... ;-)
by roblof on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:00 pm
wahlerstudios wroteYes, this might work, but it costs quite some money.

I think that it would be around twice the cost or so as for a quality analog snake. Depending on the situation this might be a resonable cost.

And I am not sure, if it is really usable. A "digital snake" needs analog/digital conversion at the input side (stage) and digital/analog conversion at the output side (FOH).

True, but given the OP question this is a workable solution.

There would be another A/D conversion at the input side of the SL 2442, and another D/A conversion at the output side. So in total there would be four analog/digital conversions, which continously add time (latency). I bet you will hear it, especially when you work with in-ear systems.

I don't remember the latency for the s16 standalone but it is less than 0.7ms from input to output.

I do however agree that it might be time looking into a new mixer with digital snake capability instead of implementing workarounds at a quite high cost. One need to understand though that a digisnake from any mixer manufacturer will still cost a lot of money and will be a big investment, no matter who is the manufacturer.

Just my 50m (150ft?) of rugged ethernet cable on a wheel is $250 and a spare is nice to have as well so only the cables are $500...

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by Karyn on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:16 am
If you have SL24.4.2 AI then just add a Dante card and buy your own choice of (dante) stagebox.

If it's a classic SL24.4.2 then buy a new mixer.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1