19 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have noticed that this new console has 16 Mix outputs. Are these the Aux outputs that are used for In-Ear Monitors? If so would I have to use Mix 1 & 2 for a stereo In-Ear monitor mix?

Thanks

Mac mini (Late 2012) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | PreSonus Studio One v3.5.6 | Dual 27 inch Benq GL2760H | PreSonus FireStudio Project | PreSonus Central Station | PreSonus Fader Port | Various Waves Plug-Ins
by sjc193 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:01 am
Yes, you are correct, you have to use 2 mix outputs (in LINK mode) to create 1 stereo mix.

Also, if it is like the RM mixers, you have to sacrifice an AUX to create a SUBGROUP (2 for stereo), I like to use SUBGROUPs a lot, so I end up using 8 of my mix outs for 4 stereo SUBGROUPs, but I never use more than 8 outs for monitors so it all works out well for me. Quite Flexible really, but worth noting if you like to use SubGroups. DCA groups is another option, they do not use any Mix Outputs, but you can't put EQ and Compression on a DCA group like you can a SUB group.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by kingsroadfellowship on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:32 am
I was hoping to get more auxes with this new console. We have 8 People on our praise and worship team that use In-Ear Monitors. That's 14 aux mix channels. That's all of my aux mixes. We have other things as well we would like to hook up like ceiling speakers in other classrooms, a system for the hear impaired and a mix going to a live web stream. My board is full.

Mac mini (Late 2012) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | PreSonus Studio One v3.5.6 | Dual 27 inch Benq GL2760H | PreSonus FireStudio Project | PreSonus Central Station | PreSonus Fader Port | Various Waves Plug-Ins
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:37 am
I think there's 16 aux outputs and 4 subgroups. You may even be able to squeeze two more aux outputs from the AES port by sacrificing two of the internal FXes (as is possible from the S/PDIF port on the pre-III StudioLive mixers). Handy if you want to replace two internal FXes with an external 2-channel FX processor with S/PDIF or AES input.
by matthewgorman on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42 am
I think there's 16 aux outputs and 4 subgroups.

Correct.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by wahlerstudios on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:37 pm
I see a SL 32.4.2AI in the signature, so it is 14 auxes... ;)

What you can do is add a (second hand) RM32AI, giving you 16 more auxes. You will need an AVB option card for your SL, an AVB switch and a CAT5 cable. And you need to keep your stage snake to send SL's 14 auxes back to stage.

This gives you a total of 30 mix outs (besides the two stereo mixes) and you can use some of the 14 mix outs at FOH for other purposes.
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm
Question was about the Series III mixer. :)
by wahlerstudios on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:44 pm
Oh, I'm sorry... Will two more auxes be worth the money...?
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:57 pm
Ah, if it was just that... ;)
by Lawrence on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:45 pm
Peanut gallery question from somebody who doesn't do FOH or worship or similar so don't smack me too hard for asking ... assume I'm Freddy Gump, Forest Gump's third cousin on his mother's side.

Is it necessary for the in-ears to be stereo or is it workable to use mono feeds for that? Consider the question a potential learning moment for me.
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:33 pm
Ha, ha, good question :D

The problem with mono in-ears is that all sound info is piled onto a big heap in the middle, which makes it really hard to isolate stuff to focus on unless it is already louder than the rest. Add to that the sound isolation some plugs give which makes the mono really mono :( The ideal in-ear mix would be an augmented reality mix I guess… (yes, like pokemon go :lol: )

Having said that, the 'more me' option most headphone/in-ear systems offer (dedicated mono me mixed in with a general stereo mix) can be a good compromise to keep the aux count low. That way and given the option on the amps 16 auxes can do 14 'stereo with me in the center' in-ear mixes.
by kingsroadfellowship on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:35 pm
SwitchBack wroteHa, ha, good question :D

Having said that, the 'more me' option most headphone/in-ear systems offer (dedicated mono me mixed in with a general stereo mix) can be a good compromise to keep the aux count low. That way and given the option on the amps 16 auxes can do 14 'stereo with me in the center' in-ear mixes.

The issue with the "more-me" is just that it raises you over the existing mix. There is no separation L&R with everything else. This is the issue that my singers have. The other issue is that they want to have their own reverbs. Since there is only 2 reverbs on the console, I have 1 reverb for IEM's and the other reverb i have set for front of house.

I wish there a way for each person to have their own reverb/delay.

by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:41 pm
Sounds like a situation where everyone with 'requests' should chip in… ;)
by wahlerstudios on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:48 pm
Exactly, this is the problem with the "me". No keyboarder is mono, no drummer, no guitar modeller, no backing singer ensemble... Mono is unnatural, unmusical, unsusable. Give the musicans and singers, what they want and need: Stereo!

But there might be good news. "Complete ecosystem of AVB solutions, including stageboxes and personal monitor mixers, will be available in 2017" is what we can read on the product page of Series III. My understanding is that we will finally see "personal mixing systems", as nearly all competitors already have. As PreSonus will integrate them in the new AVB audio network, these little mixers will have all input and output signals available for mixing. They will not need any premix or submix. Usually these machines offer full stereo and sometimes they also have some processing on board. So it might be worth the wait...! ;-)

Just a tip: Reverb is often used to create some "space" for the singers/musicians. A more natural solution is to use ambience microphones (left and right of stage) and add a little amount of reverb (overall reflections) to it. With in-ear you always have to try to avoid too different hearing situations and create a more "common" hearing.
by kingsroadfellowship on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:44 pm
This new console kinda depressed me though. Some cool new features but really lacks thinks that should be standard.

by DaRev on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 am
We have 2 trs cables and 4 trs lines in our snake running to our platform - a total of 6. There are 4 trs outs in our new studio live III board (7,8,9,10) - Can I assume I would use female XLR to trs connectors to utilize mixes 5 & 6 (or others) as aux sends?
by sjc193 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:19 am
Yup

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by DaRev on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:27 am
Thanks SJC! I wish Presonus would post some REALLY basic videos for this machine.. Ones that would answer questions like the one I asked.. - kind of "When you take this board out of the box, you turn it around an plug that power cord thingy in.. then.." You get the idea!
by mamerica on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:09 pm
You could add a rack mixer on the stage/alter in stage box/mixer mode. Use it to feed your ears and send the AVB signal to a FOH console. Take the other feeds from the console.

RM16AI; StudioLive 16.4.2 AI;
MacBook Pro; MacMini;
Studio One Proffesional; FaderPort
Waves MultiRack

19 posts
Page 1 of 1